Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Photos of the Ford rotunda fire « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tracebearden
Username: Tracebearden

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi there. I'm a native Detroiter currently living in NYC. Several years ago I came across a kiosk at Great Lakes Crossing Mall selling historic Detroit photos. One in particular, of the Ford Rotunda burning, really affected me. I was foolish for not buying it and now I can't find that image, or something as close or effective, anywhere.

Can anyone help me with businesses, websites, or photographers who might have that image?

Brougham
Username: Brougham

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have seen that photo of the Rotunda fire on the wall at a little sandwich shop on Michigan ave between greenfield and schaefer called "Noahs"
Just thought I'd throw that in... dont know where you can buy it.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://automotivemileposts.com /autobrevity/fordrotunda.html

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 530
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seen Santa Claus at the Rotunda. :-)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1914
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to WSU's Virtual Motor City, and do a search for "rotunda". There's a couple of the fire, amongst the 25 photos.

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?c=vmc

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 531
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised nowhere in the article above does it mention the whole roof was constructed of the very flammable metal magnesium. The reason it burned in 1 hour.

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 279
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the center “hole in the doughnut” was roofed over in 1950. The existing structure did not have the strength to support conventional construction. They went to Buckminster Fuller to have him design what turned out to be the first commercial application of the geodesic dome. The dome was made up of aluminum struts with acrylic infill panels, very light weight for the span, and absolutely beautiful.

This was way before plastic and aluminum glazing technologies had arrived. The thing leaked like a sieve. Consequently the entire structure was re-roofed with felt and coal tar. A good performing roofing material at the time, but the mix of aluminum, plastic and coal tar was a total disaster in a fire.

The only remaining portion of the structure was one wing, which contained all the historical records of the Ford Motor Company. The fire, being the disaster that it was could have been worse.

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracebearden, that photo of the Rotunda fire is just one of handfull that were released to the public.
You can find photo copies that of that fire at almost any flea market or street fair anymore an the prices and sizes will vary.

Sstashmoo & Sumotect the roof of the Fire Rotunda was of geodesic design made out of a composit plastic, fiberglass, with Aluminum triangular grid frame.

I 'am a retired Dearborn Firefighter and myself and 2 other retirees are in process of writing a book and the Chronological History of the Dearborn Fire Dept, one of whom was present at that fire
We have the "Official DFD & NFPA" reports from that incident and the fire cause was the accidental ignition of flammable vapors from a transparent water proof sealer that was being applied to the transparent dome panels. This sealer was being heated on the ground, pumped up to the roof and reheated to so that it could be spead by spraygun. The vapors ignited from a propane heater being used on the roof. Workers attemped to extinguish the fire but were unsucessful. They climbed down from the roof and notified FoMoCo security who in turn called the FoMoCo Rouge Plant Fire Department who responded and didn't notify the Dearborn Fire Department until 1:12pm.
Here is from the Official Report "Plastic dome on light aluminum construction over interior court of building collapsed spreading fire to combustable content ( Christmas fantasy display)".
Felt paper and tar were not a factor in this incident

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 493
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always wondered why they never rebuilt the place if it was so successful. I remember the comic book car magazines they had.
I also saw Santa there.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 532
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "Magnesium" must be urban legend.

I've heard that from quite a few sources. The "Topper" restaurant in Dearborn used to have quite a few pics of the Rotunda and the fire on the walls. Call Chelios maybe he has them.

Maybe there were some magnesium parts or brackets or whatever and it morphed into the whole roof.

Lansingfire
Username: Lansingfire

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://cgi.ebay.com/FORD-ROTUN DA-ON-FIRE-DEARBORN-1961-PHOTO -MICHIGAN_W0QQitemZ22016300289 3QQihZ012QQcategoryZ48QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you like ebay. If not if you ever come this way there's a store in Frankinmuth MI.

Aarne_frobom
Username: Aarne_frobom

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an aerial photograph of west Detroit, which I think was taken between 1985 and 1990. The outline of the Rotunda and its approach driveways was still visible in the grass of the vacant lot at that time - an eerie ghost image of something gone for 25 years.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly where was the Rotunda located? Are there ant visible remains when using todays imaging sites?

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 533
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was right on Rotunda just west of Schaefer. Right in the island created by three roads. Across the street from the baseball diamonds. Rotunda makes an S there.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rotunda drive :-p

http://wikimapia.org/60712/

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pic/info Raptor56

Wfd
Username: Wfd

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For you history buffs the sign that used to be in front of the Rotunda is still around and in use. It is in Utica on Van dyke just before M-59 on left side going north ,it is the City of Utica's announcement sign and is used all the time although it doesn't say anything about Ford anymore

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a photo and brief history of the Rotunda sign, along with additional information about a fund-raising effort.

The sign was taken down in 2004 because it needed restoration due to storm damage. A raffle was to be held on Nov. 17, 2004 to raise funds to pay for the needed work. Ticket were $50 each and only 6,000 were to be sold and I think a new car was the prize. If I remember correctly, they fell short of that 6,000 goal, the ticket sale money was refunded and the sign still sets in storage.

Treble484
Username: Treble484

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dearborn Historical Museum has several photo that can be reprinted

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.