Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Some want Wayne County to buy 1001 Woodward « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deal to buy Guardian questioned
2 officials want county to look at 1001 Woodward

The mostly vacant building, which used to house First Federal Bank, was supposed to be turned into condos this year, but the project never got off the ground. The owner has been plagued with lawsuits regarding the building. It's for sale for $20 million, down from $28 million.

So its $13.5M cheaper if they buy 1001 Woodward.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much revenue could be generated by buying and leasing the Guardian? Could buying 1001 be similarly cost effective and would they have additional space to lease? Should the county even be in the real estate business?

To me, the current Wayne County Building doesn't even seem that big. How many workers could they have down there that would warrant the county to purchase a skyscraper?

Threadjack: Check out that Watermark ad.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2530
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they have people spread out all over the place...not just at the wayne county building...the idea was to consolidate all their people into a single location...

I like the idea of Wayne county in 1001 much better than then taking up space downtown's best skyscraper...

there's not enough interest in 1001 as a residential building and the Guardian should have a much easier time attracting commercial tenants and

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have no problem with the county buying up 1001 Woodward. I never thought that it looked like a residential building anyway. Purely office space to me.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1872
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How much revenue could be generated by buying and leasing the Guardian?"

I don't think that the county should be in the business of property management. If they can't fill and use the whole building, then buying it seems like a bad idea.

"the Guardian should have a much easier time attracting commercial tenants"

Except for the fact that 1001 has dedicated parking and the Guardian does not...

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 435
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Completely true. Dedicated parking, to almost every business tenant, is a deal breaker.

I think building that garage makes it much, much more valuable than without it.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 259
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I liked the idea of getting out of that loser of lease in the old Wayne County Building, I didn't like the idea of Wayne County being in charge of the maintenence for the Guardian.

Can you imagine what those county employees could do the Wirt Rowland's masterpiece?

Cgunn

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imagine: Wayne County buys 1001 Woodward; Bank of American leases Guardian building. (They already have a branch in the building)

(Message edited by cgunn on October 26, 2007)

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cgunn... from your lips to their ears.

I never was too crazy about the county being in the property management business either. Could the county fully occupy 1001? Does anybody know the square footage of each?

Thejesus

Post Number: 2531
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Imagine: Wayne County buys 1001 Woodward; Bank of American leases Guardian building."

I think they actually have to employ people before they can occupy a skyscraper...they just reduced their workforce by about 4,000, 1,500 of which are in Michigan.

Cgunn

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Your correct, so therefore the current building may be too large for thier needs. So LEASING smaller space may worth it.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2534
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^my point is they barely have any workforce in Michigan now...it would make no sense to move a handful of people downtown if the only incentive to moving downtown is to establish a "presence" there...with such a small number of workers, they hardly be notice, and they certainly wouldn't be able to have a building named after them

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3871
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BoA has already talked about moving their regional HQ from Troy to Detroit. That was the first thing they talked after acquiring Lasalle. 1500 new workers in a downtown office building is pretty substantial.

I think that Wayne County in 1001 would be outstanding. Those limited government fund can't pay for the upkeep of a nice old building, so we can let them trash that mid-century gem.

Okay that's not the real reason...a building like that just seems to fit government purposes really well, though. And, in truth, I don't want to see the Guardian go down the tubes witht the county. I'm guessing their rent would also be cheaper...

Thejesus

Post Number: 2537
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"BoA has already talked about moving their regional HQ from Troy to Detroit. That was the first thing they talked after acquiring Lasalle. 1500 new workers in a downtown office building is pretty substantial. "

I'm aware of what BoA said publicly, and I agree that moving 1,500 workers downtown would be a big deal...

the problem with that is, you have to actually have 1,500 workers employed at your headquarters to be able to move that many...

Not only does BoA only have 800 people at their headquarters in Troy, but the article in the paper last week said they were going to lay off 1,500 workers state-wide...its anyone's guess how many of those will be workers at the Troy HQ, but it doesn't sound like BoA will have many people left in Michigan to move after the layoffs are complete...

Gnome

Post Number: 263
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have an opinion on why the 1001 Building wouldn't work? Would vehical traffic jam up Wooward? I don't have a solid image in my head about the 1001 parking deck, isn't the entrance on Griswold?

I'm keeping my mouth shut about B.O.A. moving downtown.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2005
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought BoA just made the statement that they prefered central cities, not that they were thinking of moving?

Thejesus

Post Number: 2538
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I thought BoA just made the statement that they prefered central cities, not that they were thinking of moving?"

That's how I read it too...as in, we might prefer Chicago over Troy, MI as our mid-western regional HQ...

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there is a market for Guardian Bldg tenants, why hasn't the current owner found them and leased space to them?

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 961
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Ficano. The county won't change its plan to buy the Guardian. The owner of the Guardian has tremendous political clout with the City and the County. That's the only reason the County is planning to do such a dumb deal in the first place. (It's not as corrupt as the current deal with the County Bldg., however.)

Buying 1001 is a great idea. Too bad it's unlikely to happen.

Zxzm
Username: Zxzm

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owner of the County Building has stated that he is willing to negotiate the terms of the lease. The County doesn't need to buy anything. If their interested in buildings, maybe they should look at finding/building stuff that antiquated and ill-suited, such as Frank Murphy.

(Message edited by zxzm on October 26, 2007)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 534
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cgunn-
are you kidding?
Ficano made the RIGHT choice in the Guardian Bldg.
How sweet a deal they made.
Anything less is whining by people who lost out on deals

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1874
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Does anyone have an opinion on why the 1001 Building wouldn't work? Would vehical traffic jam up Wooward? I don't have a solid image in my head about the 1001 parking deck, isn't the entrance on Griswold?"

The parking deck is next to the building (north) along the Woodward side of the block. You can see it behind 1001 Woodward in this pic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/s nweb/261137987/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e baldy/89794763/

Gnome

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanx charlottepaul, I still have it in my head that Hughes and Hatcher menswear is still there. I guess the folks who worked at that building when it was First Federal must have parked under Kennedy Sq.

Its funny how something gets stuck in your head and you just can't see what's new.

thanx for info

Cgunn

Post Number: 149
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The owner of the County Building has stated that he is willing to negotiate the terms of the lease."

Yeah, but it was still in the millions. If your rent is in the millions. Why rent that little space for millions, when you can own a building for just around the same cost.

Lefty2

What was so sweet about the deal that they possibly can't get from 1001 Woodward?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5583
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For years the county has been complaining about the terms of its' lease. And yet the owners didn't budge. And then there's the fiasco with the scaffolding on the tower of the Old County Building... didn't the county have to pick up that tab?

It wasn't until the county actually found another building to move to... that the owners of the old building finally came around to offering a better deal. Too little too late...

Cgunn

Post Number: 150
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^I agree.

(Message edited by cgunn on October 27, 2007)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 567
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cgunn,
1001 woodward? enough said!

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 936
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kind of security does the county require for the offices it would relocate to the Guardian? Would it require metal detectors for its public visitors to these offices? Installing such equipment in the Guardian lobby would be a horrible blemish on a National Historic Landmark property. Also, the non-county tenants in the building probably wouldn't be too keen on requiring their visitors and clients to pass through such screening.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent point, Swingline.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 425
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still say they should buy the MCS or have Matty renovate it for a huge county complex. If not everything will fit in the tower than there is plenty of room to build around Roosevelt Park. Things like a new jail ect...

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 368
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well if the county doesn't want 1001 Woodward maybe BofA or Quicken should consider. The building , complete with location and parking is a steal. Even with renovations its a good purchase to a large business interest for Headquarters.
Several People have spent more on building a home in Oakland and parts of Wayne County in the last 5 years than the asking price.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2047
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, the non-county tenants in the building probably wouldn't be too keen on requiring their visitors and clients to pass through such screening.

I doubt it would matter much to them. Pretty much every skyscraper in Manhattan has heavy security and screening for visitors, historic or not. Some of them even resemble going through airport security...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5625
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Security screening has now become the norm for all shows at the Fox Theatre.

Even during the August Theatre tours when only the tour members and guides are in the Fox, they must first go thru a metal detector.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.