Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Would you support a Toll Road » Archive through October 26, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 254
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Michigan was turn I-96 or I-94 into a toll road and charge 25cents at each booth and if one took the entire route they would pay 2 dollars would you support that??

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 256
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6421
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a Troll Road?

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 480
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO WAY!

Toll roads are for states with a lot of out of state traffic.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With Governor Grannys taxation, Im surprised it hasn't happened already.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 916
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean the guys standing on the side of highways with a paper cup aren't collecting for a toll road?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10598
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1995
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about they turn I-75 into a toll road to pay for that widening?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6203
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one WANTS a toll road but if it meant some guarantees as to the quickness of the road, a decent road surface that didn't fall apart every few years, ease of use and other amenities... I'd think I'd consider it.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6204
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought we had a toll road already in that span we all call the Ambassador Bridge... GRRRR!

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 919
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't mind a toll road at the end of the Belle Isle bridge.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no way I would be in favor of another tax

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No thanks.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2528
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toll roads gnerally exist where there's a lot of through traffic by people who are not residents of the state...

Ohio is the classic example...all kinds of people drive through Ohio just to get form point A to point B, and it's only fair that the state ask those motorists who they can't otherwise tax to help pay for the costs of the road....

A toll road in Michigan would make far less sense for obvious reasons

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 348
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't need it

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would support a toll road to facilitate new construction to ease congestion in exurb areas, such as M-5 extension north of Pontiac Trail or a new free way from Howell across northern Oakland and Macomb counties (parallel to M-59).

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1864
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's tax those leaving the city and entering the suburbs along each freeway!

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 360
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan gets more non-resident traffic than you think. Don't forget that Going through Michigan is the fastest and cheapest route for truck traffic involved in NAFTA type business between the US, Canada, and Mexico. MDOT traffic analysis has shown that since NAFTA began commercial truck volumes along I-75, I-94 and I-69 have skyrocketed

That_gurl_kat
Username: That_gurl_kat

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No thank you to the toll road.
(But I'd definitely pay to use a troll road).

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 883
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This whole argument is moot if you're talking about existing interstate highways. The Federal Highway Administration does not allow a state, under any circumstance, to begin charging tolls on what had been a free interstate highway.

If you want a toll road you can build a new one and charge a toll. Good luck; let me know how that works out for you.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2840
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Turning an interstate into a toll road would cost the state a small fortune. The interstates were built with matching federal money. That money came with a string attached. The state received more money in the form of a federal match if the road was a freeway. That extra federal match would have to be paid back if the road was now converted to a toll road.

The money gained by turning it into a toll road would be greatly reduced due to the required give back.

The rules have been changed recently. If you significantly upgrade a freeway it can be turned into a toll road. Since both I-75 and I-94 in most places through the state are perfectly adequate for the volume of traffic they see, they don't need that significant of an upgrade.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1870
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This whole argument is moot"

So are about half of the threads on this forum, but that doesn't stop us from discussing how things could be different.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10599
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that NDavies has cleared up the facts how about a new topic.

Who would like to see a lane of some major freeways turned into a HOV lane. I would.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 704
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If said toll road has no posted speed limit, I'm all in!

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2842
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, No HOV lanes. They do not increase the throughput. They actually reduce it. They don't increase the propensity of people willing to car pool.

Studies suggest that they actually increase congestion.

http://paleale.eecs.berkeley.e du/~varaiya/papers_ps.dir/HOV. pdf

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1996
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't I-94 through parts of the city built before it was designated an interstate. Wouldn't this be eligible for toll roads (ala I-95/the NJ turnpike)? I-94 gets a lot of traffic going to the bridge and tunnel from out of state...

Also, since the Lodge is not an interstate, it would be eligible. It's also one of the most congested freeways in the city (and probably the metro)...

Aarne_frobom
Username: Aarne_frobom

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since the highway bill of 1997 there have been several FHWA programs under which free federal-aid highways may be converted to toll roads. (Conversion of freeways to toll roads following repayment of federal aid is an urban legend that has never been permissible, although a bill is in the US House to permit it.) Non-freeways may be reconstructed as new toll freeways. Up to three states will be permitted to convert free Interstate freeways to toll roads as a means of financing reconstruction. The most intriguing program is FHWA's Congestion Pricing program, which permits tolls to be charged if they are used to reduce congestion. Under this program, express lanes might be added to a freeway with tolls that rise with traffic volume. Access to the lanes might be free or with a minimal toll, until volume rises to the point where congestion begins. Then, automated devices would increase the toll at intervals of 5 minutes or so, so that the express lanes never become congested. The toll would be announced by a changeable sign at the point where drivers decide whether to enter the tolled lanes. Tolls would be collected entirely by electronic means - no guys with their hands out.

This system was recently installed on ten miles of I-394 west of Minneapolis. The toll rises to about $2.50 for the ten-mile trip on most afternoons, hitting $3.50 or $4.00 during unusual events. In effect, users set the tolls themselves at whatever it is worth to them to save time. The toll lanes replaced an underutilized carpool lane, so travel in the adjacent free lanes is improved as well. Most commuters report using the toll lane about two days a week, as dictated by their schedules and congestion in the free lanes.

What do we think of this idea?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toll lanes could be useful on, say, I-75 from 7 Mile or so, through to the straightaway after 12 Mile. You want to skip the gridlock around the curve and the 696 interchange? Pay a toll.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 288
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan prides itself on its free roads and expressways. No way in hell would I pay a toll out here... what are we, New Jersey? I don't think so.