Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The old Hotel Pontchartrain « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hotel Pontchartrain

So ever since I saw the above photo, I was intrigued by this massive hotel. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any information on it besides some more photos such as this one.

Anyone have any more info? Paris of the West indeed.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5581
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That hotel was built in 1907 on the site of the former Russell House Hotel. It only lasted 13 years. It was demolished in 1920 to make way for the First National Building of 1922.

One of the reasons that it didn't last long was because it didn't have private baths in most rooms. With the advent of other grand hotels in downtown that had private baths, this beautiful Belle Epoche style hotel was doomed.

Johnberk
Username: Johnberk

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread reminded me of a post card I have of this hotel. Can't remember where I got it.
x

Its kind of hard to read, but it says "Detroit is a very pretty, clean, city."

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Its kind of hard to read, but it says "Detroit is a very pretty, clean, city.""

---
i believe that slogan was used by the Detroit Chamber of Commerce. maybe Ookpik can find it in his new Detroit City Guide...

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mansard roof and the top floors were added a few years after the hotel was built. I have an old photo looking up Woodward, and the large hazy hotel looks great in the distance. It gave the city a distinct look.

Gistok

Post Number: 5644
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an interesting site about the old hotel. It explains what I mentioned about the hotel becoming outmoded almost as soon as it was completed. The 1916 addition added hotel rooms that did have baths, but it was too little too late...

http://www.merit.edu/~jimmoran /detphot/ponch.html

Drifterlee
Username: Drifterlee

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there a hotel by that name with a restaurant on the top floor back in the late 1960s???

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/118335.html?1194302896

Gistok

Post Number: 5663
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ironically the name Hotel Ponchartrain was only in use starting exactly a century ago... from 1907-20 on Campus Martius, and again from 1963-2007 at Jefferson & Washington Blvd.

The Top Of The Ponch was the restaurant that was formerly located at the top of the Jefferson/Washington Hotel Ponchartrain from 1963 to circa 1980.

The 2 hotels are not related, except by name.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.