Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Www.detroit.com « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1878
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Down here in Charlotte, NC if one goes to the web site www.charlotte.com , it takes you to the Charlotte Observer (which is Charlotte's main newspaper). So I was wondering a few weeks ago what www.detroit.com might be a web address for in Detroit. All in all detroit.com is a really crappie ad web site that likely dozens of people probably go to each day trying to find out more information about Detroit. Detroit.com is like one of those annoying web sites that you might actually accidentally go to when you mistype an otherwise common address like http://www.googgle.com/ Needless to say I was rather surprised that no organization or company has picked up that address. Seems to me that it should at least be an alternative address for something such as the Convention and Visitors Bureau, the DEGC, or the City of Detroit official web site.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 291
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i dunno, seems fine to me. presents information, not too many ads, everything there is true and would help out a first-time visitor.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1879
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, but sometimes a web site is people's impression of the city. A person that has never before been to Detroit and might be considering a visit for business or leisure, would in my opinion not be turned on by it.

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What exactly is wrong with it? It seems to provide adequate information for each section (attractions, hotels, etc.).

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 375
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, it's somewhat out of date in many sections.

I was on a site similar to this one and it still had the Kroger on Gratiot up for reviews (EEK!).

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was probably purchased by someone and parked so that they could make money off of ad revenue. For someone else to have it, i.e. city of detroit, detroit news, etc, they would have to purchase it from the owner. Maybe the owner is asking more than these organizations are willing to pay?

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's by these people http://www.boulevards.com/asso ciatedcities/
http://www.associatedcities.co m/abouts.php?aboutID=8&PHPSESS ID=db154a0084e09161eb2d64b1eff d5fa9

who also seem to have created a http://www.newyorkcity.com/ and a http://www.chicago.com/ among others...

Their Detroit site could definitely use more pictures...

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Their Detroit site could definitely use more pictures..."

Except for the fact that they aren't apparently in the business of marketing the city. I guess maybe that is my problem with it.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 292
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want marketing, go to www.visitdetroit.com

Or maybe not, I can just see everyone on here freaking out because they dare to mention attractions in Oakland County.

That_gurl_kat
Username: That_gurl_kat

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crumbled_pavement hit the nail on the head. They purchased the domain name to make some money.
Unfortunate for us, but profitable for them.
All of the popular extensions (.com; .org; .us; .tv) for "Detroit" are taken as well.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 564
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

freaking out because they dare to mention attractions in Oakland County.

There are attractions in OC, really? Now, I'm freaking out.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shopping malls Oakmangirl!

Detro
Username: Detro

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit.com has some good features.

Businesses can post and update their listings
for free
- The bars and clubs section is one of the most comprehensive on the net, and the copy is original
- The new interface is a real improvement and the logo captures the deco heritage of Detroit elegantly
- According to the Google index, it has more than 200,000 pages of information about Detroit.
- There's an event calendar that allows promoters to post their events for free.

No government site or convention and visitors site would ever have these kinds of user posting features and or original editorial, so Detroit is lucky that Detroit.com is in the hands of a company that's investing in new features and providing free services to the community.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 571
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shopping malls Oakmangirl!

We play pretty fast and loose with what qualifies as an attraction! Besides, Charlottepaul points at that merely dozens may visit the site each day, so it's not like we're shutting out throngs of potential tourists.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.