Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Harpos « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yeti
Username: Yeti

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I was down at Harpos Concert Theater this weekend for 2 shows, Friday and Saturday night. I used to go to Harpos all the time, but I probably haven't been in 2 years or so. Now one of the big reasons I stopped going it that it just was a big hassle going down there,I was always worried that I would come out and my car stereo would be gone, the car would be gone, etc.... I've seen too many people getting hassled by crackheads,to many cars broke into. It just wasn't worth it, it was better to go to Toledo.

So anyways, friday I noticed that it seemed a lot better. I didn't see a single crackhead. When I was there on Saturday, I saw why. They now have ARMED security guards out walking the street in front of the venue.

I am glad, dont get me wrong. First time I have ever been to Harpos and not had to wonder if my car would be there when I got out of the show. But what does it say about the city when a concert venue has to hire an armed militia to protect a bunch of white stoners that are into heavy metal?

So anyways, Thanks Harpos for realizing that there was an issue and cleaning up the neighborhood, at least on Nights when Type O Negative is in town.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 380
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought every singer hired an armed militia everywhere they went?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't have it both ways Yeti

Yeti
Username: Yeti

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CP, What do you mean?

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel ya Yeti. I feel the same way about going to the Magic Stick. The streets around the Majestic complex are puddled with broken car window glass. And a police precinct is just a couple of blocks up Woodward from there. The local area merchants should get their moneys together and have a private security company patrol the area. I've seen it done in the area around Wayne State's campus.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There have been armed guards at Harpos forever, you just did not know it. There is a big police presence there too(on duty and off), cops dig the metal shows too. Just don't ask them to break up biker vs nazi fights in the pit though.

I admit Harpos is a dump but they have a good show or two every year. Quarter beer night anyone????

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3291
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Harpos is rough. My car was broken into there.

First we went to park, and some crackhead who clearly didn't work there tried to collect parking money from me. Since we didn't pay that, naturally they later broke into the car and stole everything. Then one of them shows up when we come out and offers to to get the stuff back for us if we give him some money. What a shithole that place is.

But if you are insistant on going to see Type O Negative, or in my case, Gwar, once a year for old time's sake, Harpo's it is.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then one of them shows up when we come out and offers to to get the stuff back for us if we give him some money.

Gotta admit that's ballsy, even for a brainless crackhead. My guess is next time he tried that trick on a Harpo's-goer he got the crap kicked outta him.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 619
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at harpos about 2 years ago and thought it was pretty mild. There were parents there with their teenage children. At 6'1" 180lbs I was big compared to most in the "pit". Not very hardcore by my standards. I can say I was happy to get away with the usual rock show shenanigans. Had no problem buying shots for my underage freinds at the bar. Also got baked just two tables away from the bar. I can say the abandoned streetscape out front was very surreal at the least.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10607
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate ti when Detroit's issues get in the way of my drinking and partying. I wish all of those poor people would just make everything perfect for me to see a show once a year.

I hate when I have to be troubled by the issues of the less fortunate.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3299
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I should feel sympathy for people who try to extort me upon my arrival, then smash my window and steal things from me, then try to extort me again when I leave to get my stuff back.

Silly me. What was I thinking?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10608
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was speaking about the people that live there and try to make a living there, not the crackheads.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time I went to Harpo's was to see Dee Dee Ramone and the Chinese Dragons play. On the way in, we see two people dragging a female friend by the undersrms to their car. She'd left a huge pool of blood outside the front door. Don't know if she'd been stabbed or if it was a bloody nose or what. Gross though.

Illwill
Username: Illwill

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never under estimate the homeless...they pack too.

<<diehard>>
Then one of them shows up when we come out and offers to to get the stuff back for us if we give him some money.

Gotta admit that's ballsy, even for a brainless crackhead. My guess is next time he tried that trick on a Harpo's-goer he got the crap kicked outta him.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 543
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i saw a few rock gigs there back in the day, great.

Does anyone remember The Ramone's, or The Police playing at the Punch and Judy Theater? I have a bet with someone saying they did in the very late 70's.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.