Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Eastern Market « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the Eastern Market as a kid but I have not been their in 30 years. How has it changed,better or worse. What can you get down there this time of year. Are there any stores around the area?

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I go to the Detroit Eastern Market every Saturday morning for the week's fruits and veggies. The area is, I feel, safe, and all you really need to bring with you is some money in small bills and a cart for your purchases. When you compare the quality and prices of the goods at the Eastern Market to those at Meijer/Krogers etc - you'll find the market is the obvious choice.

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been avid shopper for years, but one trick to finding better produce is look whether a seller is a PRODUCER or DALER. There are small signs at the stands that will tell you the difference. Producers are growing it themselves; the dealers may just be reselling the cast-offs from the wholesale Eastern Market dealers. Vendors may have produce that is just about ready to go bad, while the producers probably harvested the day before or even that morning. That said there are some good dealers ...
The offerings right now are ultra-plentiful.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2959
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroiteasternmarke t.com/

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If law school wasn't consuming my life, I'd be there every Saturday to do the bulk of my shopping.

My tip: go across the freeway to the Gratiot Market, stop at Ronnie's Meats and pick up 10 pounds of great quality ground chuck for $1.79 a pound. Best deal around.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 885
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always do my shopping at the Gratiot Market. Love it. Also, some great fish to be had, there.

R.J. Hirtz? come on, that place is the best.

seriously, if you haven't been to the Market in 30 years, it'll be different, but you will still love it. It is the BEST place in Detroit... IMO.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5596
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly the one thing that is missing from 30 years ago is the Fronterra Bros. building to the left of Hirts & Co. That nice historic Victorian building burned down at least 15 years ago. It was sad that it was never rebuilt by preserving the facade. A true loss in that row of historic buildings on the east side of Eastern Market.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Market is going through a bit of a facelift. Well, more of teeth brushing, but they're planning a facelift. They've scrubbed those goofy 1970s murals off the facades and the place looks much better. Yesterday WDET interviewed the incoming Market President a he has some plans to heighten the profile of the Market into more than just a once a week farmer's market.

Sounds like the plan is to build- or re-hab -some mixed-use buildings. So there are some changes a foot.

Rugbyman

Post Number: 138
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I read in Crain's that they were planning on "winterizing" shed 3 to make it a year-round market. I'd imagine that means enclosing it- can anyone confirm that's the plan?

I'm not particularly sure who'd set up shop in there during the winter months since agriculture in the region grinds to a halt, but I'd imagine it's the vendors rather than growers. I suppose any additional fresh food outlets in the city are a good thing, regardless of where the produce was grown.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, isn't Eastern Market already a year round market? I've certainly been there while it's cold as hell out and snowing.

Rugbyman

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've gone to Gratiot Central during the winter, just never the stalls. I just sort of assumed that the fact that it was so cold meant no one was in the stalls.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1904
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure seems like Eastern Market has been trying extra hard in recent years to further boost its image:
http://www.modeldmedia.com/int henews/emkt11707.aspx

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going every week just to hear Robert Bradley. He used to play for change. His emotion captivated me in a similar way that Billie Holiday does. His is a strange voice but he can really tell a story. It was obvious then that he should be recorded. The Nera brothers did a good thing by getting his sound out there.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the new President is coming from where I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana. He has been part of our downtown improvement district and was crucial in getting a new ballpark set to be built for our minor league baseball team, its a ballpark, courtyard by marriot and new condo's overlooking the ball park. I hope he can work some magic with this "facelift" and more in Eastern Market!

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9/2007

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 811
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can tell the resellers generally because the merch. looks a little bit beat up.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice feature of upcoming developments at eastern market, and what one can find today:

http://www.modeldmedia.com/fea tures/easternmkt07.aspx

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 5:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I brought a couple of friends to Detroit for a visit a while back, people who had lived and grown up in Detroit in the 40's. Their old neighborhood north of Elmwood Cemetery was just a shell of what they remembered, but they LOVED Eastern Market. They want to come back to the city just for that.

I took my 88-year old father down there a couple of months ago and the memories just flooded back to him. He too was very impressed with the crowds, the selection, the great variety - almost like he remembered as a kid. EM is a must for anyone visiting the city.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 499
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 5:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That area is ripe for development. I was looking at the sky pic and imagining all kinds of residential on top of many of the buildings and in the lots. Lots of potential there.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1927
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjw, there already has been several loft conversions. It is one its way...

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 559
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EM is the next hot spot of Detroit...

fd loft1

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a kid my dad took us to the market often. Had an uncle that farmed up in Macomb county and had a stand there. Also went to some store right by there, maybe an Italian market and the guy had a fishbowl of pumpkin seeds, which my sister and I loved and he let us reach in with our hands and take out what we could and put in our pockets for free, that was great. Also had some sugar cane I think, my dad bought one, maybe it was sorgum, but whatever it was sweet eating it raw, kind of fiberly thought

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

travel further north at the Market and you've got
Wigley's Meats and Milano bakery, and Louie's right around the corner. There are some vendors in the winter, fresh eggs, and don't forget Christmas trees.

Fourskis
Username: Fourskis

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work there every Saturday at my family's stand (resellers) at the wing nearest the freeway walkway. Rain or shine or freezing cold, I'd be out there pushing our stand on the dolly to our spot and then setting up the heater to warm us up. We'd sell from sun-up to sun-down and many times barely break even. I learned some of the greatest lessons in life there and met some of the best and worst of people as well.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 191
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work on Saturdays at the gratiot central market at Wigley meats.What an experience.Had some great times.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wigley's has the Best Corned Beef in town... Hey PGN What about Heather from Vivio's the best bartender in town...

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heather is my favorite bartender in town. have known her way back since original ownership at the well days. shelley and rob (at vivio's) are great too. while not during market hours, people should check out the karaoke at vivio's on friday nights. a lot of local choral groups sing great old motown songs. the quality of singing is amazing.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 194
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaler- Heather has to be the best! We just got back from Florida. I wanna go back!

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 481
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shelley is my favorite at Vivio's...great personality and always efficient. She makes the best mimosas on dreary Saturday mornings.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 319
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wigley's! Best corned beef.

I forget, is it the blade or point cut that is better? I'm thinking blade...

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastern Market
http://farm3.static.flickr.com /2415/1965977487_77a22b41f8.jp g

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A cordial invitation for fellow DetroitYes folks to the 9th annual Ridge Fine Art and Handmade Wares Show, this weekend at the Pleasant Ridge Community Center.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com /2276/1925414022_dcadfa2b3b.jp g

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jrvass..It is all what you care for I like the points with extra Fat for cooking...some like the flats...Usually points are a larger cut..

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.