Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Cheap living, but with flavor? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Flcosgriff
Username: Flcosgriff

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any leads on cheap living in the D that's something more than just a rat's nest?

I'm looking for a place to live down or mid town Detroit. 2-3 bedrooms, cats welcome. The cheaper the better, but somewhere with character.

I've grown up in Woodbridge and ready to find my own place with a similar feel - or completely different. I'm open. One of my potential house/apartment mates is down on dough, the other's a suburbanite who needs to feel "safe". Yeah, I may have my work cut out for me on this one. And yeah, I may just be screwed.

Help me out. You'll be my hero.

Edit: Oh, price range. I'd hate to see more than $700. Hope that's challenging enough for you.

(Message edited by FLCosgriff on October 29, 2007)

Penelopetheduck
Username: Penelopetheduck

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who pays more than 700 for a two bedroom? It must either be really, really nice or ya'll are suckers.
My place in hubbard farms is 2 or 3 bedrooms, really nice, with a reliable landlord and is less than $600. The place before that I split a $475 a month 2 bedroom in Hubbard farms with a sketchy landlord.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, $700 for a 2 bedroom is a STEAL.

This from a guy who paid $700 for JUST ME in a house with 3 other roommates (who paid 650-700 apiece), plus a lady that lived in the converted garage, plus utilities in California.

Chicago is a bargain to me. And $700 for a studio wouldn't be a bad deal at all.

guess its all what you're used to :-)

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for about half of that $700.00 you can get a great place in Hamtramck. Take your pick

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a friend living in a 4BR on Second for something like $220 (his portion)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1907
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flcosgriff, not sure if you have heard of it, but I would check out the River Park Lofts (a.k.a. Iron Street Lofts). They are definitely LOFTS and they may come with more character than you are looking for, but pretty much every unit is a different size, so you should be able to find something that you are looking for. It is worth a shot. It is located on east jefferson near Mt. Elliot.

This is the side facing a park along the river there: http://downtowndetroit.org/ddp /images/housing/River_Park_Lof ts.jpg

River Park Lofts
227 Iron St.
Rental Lofts
$480-$2,100
http://downtowndetroit.org/ddp /housing-lease.htm#riverfront

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1911
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/117454.html?1193768343

Flcosgriff
Username: Flcosgriff

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone for the replies. Immediately, they've helped by taking me back to where my head was at the beginning of my search - Hamtramck, Hubbard, etc. It's my roomies that've gotten me thinking more expensively.

They're drawn to the shiny new buildings and expensively, extensively, remodeled places and I have to admit their appeal.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 619
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you're going to have to consider a few things...

-safety
-walkability
-price
-space/housing stock

----------------------

generally, the safer and "more walkable" you want your place, the more expensive it will be... then, within that framework, the bigger the place, the more you pay... midtown costs more than SW Detroit, which costs more than brightmore. You get what you pay for. (Though I think the GREATEST steals around are SW Detroit, Corktown, and Lower Cass Corridor) all are semi-walkable, semi-safe and cheap as hell... I think downtown is too expensive.

beyond that, always make sure to factor in hidden costs like heat. paying for heat in a house can run you upwards of $600 a month if the landlord doesn't insulate well (and they have to reason to if you're paying for it) in this way, it is frequently wise to get incldued heat... because the landlord will insulate the house properly and you will pay a small part of the winter bill over everymonth, so it doesn't just suck in nov, dec, and january.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 981
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out Van Dyke Apts in West Village.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where the hell have YOU been?!

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 982
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Busy...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.