Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Port Authority Passenger Terminal planning progress update « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ericsprague
Username: Ericsprague

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an update from John Kerr on the continued progress in preparing for construction of the Detroit Port Authority Passenger Terminal:

(More info: http://www.portdetroit.com/new sevents/recent_news/publick_do ck_render.htm)

Good to hear from you. I appreciate you checking in with me on this project, as this is the most important thing I do on a daily basis. Glad to see you have continued interest!

Red tape is getting cut. We are past the before-mentioned issues with MDOT. We should have the complete construction blue-prints done by Thanksgiving. Hamilton-Anderson, our architects, were a bit tied up with the MGM Grand while we were working out our issues with MDOT/FHWA. The weather will dictate how we go from there. This is a very challenging project considering the subsurface issues we are facing, plus the constrained budget to capital costs that go along with building on a site that never has had underground utilities, sits b/t two combined sewer outfalls, etc. But, as I've expressed to you in the past ... it will get done! Toledo is just finishing their Public Dock & Terminal, and they started a year before us! Sometimes this FHWA money is not so much a blessing, but in the end, I'm convinced we'll have a new asset in Detroit we can collectively market and promote as a new front porch to Detroit. We spend so much time planning and investing in highways and road infrastructure that we forget other options (i.e. mass transit, marine transportation, etc.). It's our hope at the Port Authority that this project will begin discussions on cross-border ferry service, or even service b/t Michigan ports like Port Huron or Wyandotte.

I'm participating in the first-ever Port Cities conference this week, which is looking at ways to better coordinate projects and initiatives like this between coastal communities. I'm just looking forward to the day when we have an asset like the Public Dock to market, not just a vision.

As always, we continue working toward getting this project moving forward. Check back with me around the New Year!

Take care,
John

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2557
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what will this building do, exactly? what purpose does it serve?

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you think it will do?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 680
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not gonna lie TJ, you are not the most impressive law student I've heard from...

Port Authority Passenger Terminal. Click on the link from the first post and be enlightened.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the eventual completion of the new terminal, it would be wonderful to see a return of Windsor-Detroit passenger ferry service. Hopefully the new Detroit terminal includes space that could eventually be used by US Customs if ferry service was to return.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2559
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"not gonna lie TJ, you are not the most impressive law student I've heard from...

Port Authority Passenger Terminal. Click on the link from the first post and be enlightened."

Yes. Thank you. I'm quite aware of what the project is, as I'm sure I knew about it long before you did.

(And if pretending like you can talk down to me makes you feel like you are more intelligent than you are, I can certainly understand that and I invite you to knock yourself out.)

My question is, what purpose will this building serve, exactly, that justifies $7.5 million in taxpayer dollars?

I'm curious if you people are even aware of where your money is going, aside from providing you with a $7.5m connection between the east and west riverfront.

(Message edited by thejesus on October 30, 2007)

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 682
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not sure who "you people" would be, but I guess you are referring to all of the "uneducated" non jesus-like law students, but...

considering that the Port of Detroit is already a billion dollar a year industry in the city, with a total of 10,000 jobs (5800 direct) related specifically to the industry, I think that $7.5 million is a small price to pay for new offices, a connection for the riverfronts, and to help create a new industry for detroit in cruise line docking at the terminal (which has a tourist-driven economic impact of $40 million a year for Great Lakes cruising port cities)

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you people? you mean people that live in the united states?
quote:

The facility is being developed through $7.5 million in federal appropriations

written by the same poster who said this in the same post:
quote:

(And if pretending like you can talk down to me makes you feel like you are more intelligent than you are, I can certainly understand that and I invite you to knock yourself out.)

Thejesus

Post Number: 2561
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"not sure who "you people" would be, but I guess you are referring to all of the "uneducated" non jesus-like law students, but..."

Me going to school in my spare time has nothing to do with any of this, yet you've brought it up twice now. You seem to have some sort of inferiority complex and I'm not quite sure what the source of it is, but I wish you luck with that.

Now, back to the topic at hand. Considering that we're talking about federal money, "you people" would refer to anyone here who pays federal taxes.

"I think that $7.5 million is a small price to pay..."

Perhaps it is, but since nobody is saying that it isn't, you're off the point yet again.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2564
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"you people? you mean people that live in the united states?"

Almost, but not quite.

Not all people in the United States pay taxes, and even then I was addressing only those federal taxpayers who actually post on this board.

You were close though. I'm sure you would have understood if you had thought about it a little bit longer before posting.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 345
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pay a buttload of federal taxes so I'll be one of those people.

I'm glad good ol' Uncle Carl brought back $7.5 mil so we can have a nice little tie-up for the boats on the river. It's better than a kick in the you know where (or a bridge to nowhere). I think the purpose is in promoting tourism of the Detroit Riverfront. It apparently is a public access terminal for river traffic.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2566
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^good answer

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2039
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I take it this won't be a very large building? $7.5M doesn't seem like it would go too far in constructing a building.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 346
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the pictures, it looks like a large size bus station.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2040
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^It would be a great place for an international bus terminal.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pure Gold:

Thejesus

Post Number: 2561
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:06 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
"not sure who "you people" would be, but I guess you are referring to all of the "uneducated" non jesus-like law students, but..."

Me going to school in my spare time has nothing to do with any of this, yet you've brought it up twice now. You seem to have some sort of inferiority complex and I'm not quite sure what the source of it is, but I wish you luck with that.

Now, back to the topic at hand. Considering that we're talking about federal money, "you people" would refer to anyone here who pays federal taxes.

"I think that $7.5 million is a small price to pay..."

Perhaps it is, but since nobody is saying that it isn't, you're off the point yet again.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2564
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:12 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
"you people? you mean people that live in the united states?"

Almost, but not quite.

Not all people in the United States pay taxes, and even then I was addressing only those federal taxpayers who actually post on this board.

You were close though. I'm sure you would have understood if you had thought about it a little bit longer before posting.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10627
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.portdetroit.com/mat erials/public_dock_and_termina l_project_book.pdf

Right on their website. This lists the advantages/benefits that they believe it offers.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My question is, what purpose will this building serve, exactly, that justifies $7.5 million in taxpayer dollars?"

Who cares, as long as Michigan gets its fair share of "pork-barrel" spending as you seem to suggest it is.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 683
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the project is 11 million, with 7.5 coming from federal appropriations, so that makes the project a little bigger, Iheartthed

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.