Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Forum about Shoppes at Gateway (8 Mile Road and Woodward Ave Mall) Tonight « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

National community activist groups are hosting a forum to talk about the new mall site at 8 Mile Road and Woodward Ave.
If you want to go to the meeting, it starts tonight at 6:30 pm. About two hours from this post message. More info in the free press,
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071030/NEW S01/71030039

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3317
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez, you want to build a strip mall at 32 mile road, it's like nothing. You want to build one in an underdeveloped part of Detroit that needs it, there's a city council commision to oversee the committee on looking into holding a forum on the possibility of building a mall.

Ok I'm exaggerating, but geez, just build the thing.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2567
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"a city council commision to oversee the committee on looking into holding a forum on the possibility of building a mall"

lol

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Off topic ... last Friday, I checked out the new MJR theater at Partridge Creek mall. It's all digital. Digital sound and screen. It was a new viewing experience. Very cool.

"30 Days Of Night" couldn't have looked better.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1914
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, a real forum? A forum where you put a face and profile with what someone has to say? Interesting novel idea. I like sitting on DetroitYES! instead and critiquing stuff.
[loads of sarcasm implied]

Thejesus

Post Number: 2568
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone attends, please let us know if they discuss why the design for this mall is borrowing copying the designs of the various suburban developments in the area that were all built in the last few years when people Detroit claim to hate those kinds of developments so much

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10630
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

when people Detroit claim to hate those kinds of developments so much

When people on Detroityes claim to hate those kind of developments.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2569
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When people on Detroityes claim to hate those kind of developments."

Them too.

Jt1

Post Number: 10631
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreeing with that does not make your first claim valid.

Most of the poeple I know that live outside downtown just want retail options in the city. The opinions of this forum represent the opinions of the participants, not the residents of the city as a whole.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2570
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The opinions of this forum represent the opinions of the participants, not the residents of the city as a whole."

I approve this message.

Jt1

Post Number: 10632
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I approve this message.

Crap, just a reminder of how soon we will be inundated with campaign commercials.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2571
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a hell of a lot of campaign commercials

"In January 2007, Federal Election Commission Chairman Michael Toner estimated that the 2008 race will be a "$1 billion election,"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U .S._presidential_election,_200 8#Campaign_costs

Jt1

Post Number: 10633
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$1 billion dollars and no talk of actual issues.

I guess I have one more reason to avoid TV in the coming months.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1919
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I guess I have one more reason to avoid TV in the coming months."

What were the other reasons?

Jt1

Post Number: 10634
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What were the other reasons?

Enjoying life without TV
Reality TV
Celebrities
Waste of time
Very few original shows
Avoiding a sedantary lifestyle
News being more sensationalist than informative

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 895
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retailers won't build anything anywhere if all they get is opposition. If you want more urban-style retail, which is pedestrian oriented, then you have to have some way for people to get to the stores other than driving. If you accept that since Detroit has inadequate transit most people need to drive to stores, then you have to accept acres of parking and the suburban strip-mall look (or, no retail at all, such as has been the case for the most part lately).

Billpdx
Username: Billpdx

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This makes for an interesting train of thought:

1. A city with a poor transit system results in a car-based culture.

2. Any desireable destinations in a car-based culture will require parking lots.

3. Parking lots are unpleasant places to be, and sap the vitality out of an area, making it undesireable.

and so it goes...

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 486
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in that area (Green Acres) and I just hope that the construction doesn't foul up the traffic like it did when they "beautified" the intersection. (8 mile & Woodward)
I also hope that the employment will be fair to those seeking honest work.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3320
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I just hope that the construction doesn't foul up the traffic like it did when they "beautified" the intersection."

Eh, probably not. But even if it did, you're a Michigander, I know you can handle long periods of inconvenient construction. :-)

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 496
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a way of life...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.