Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Once again, LBP fights something with no alternative offered « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10649
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071101/NEW S06/71101045/1001/NEWS

quote:

LANSING – A campaign to kill the new sales tax on services blasted off at the state Capitol today, with Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson leading a rally of 200 protesters – mostly from landcaping companies – that would be hit by the tax starting Dec. 1.

Is sure must be easy to criticize everything when you aren't held accountable to offer solutions. It is always easier to criticize and fight when you do not have to offer up anything else.

Good thing he could rally up some landscapers.

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Screw LBP, I hope he finds a nice cozy place in hell to stay warm.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 4704
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a thread on this already.

Jt1

Post Number: 10654
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Completely missed it. My bad.

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 243
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LBP
has offered solutions

Jt1

Post Number: 10656
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are his solutions that will balance the budget or reduce it while still offering critical services.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4511
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What are his solutions that will balance the budget or reduce it while still offering critical services.

Perhaps, somebody should have studied civics a bit better...

Patterson is County Executive of the wealthiest county in Michigan. He's not a legislator. Therefore, it's not his responsibility to legislate tax rules and regulations. His major responsibility is to operate the county functions in Oakland County in a sane fiscal manner.

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 244
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LBP
suggested that we privatize gov't services such as health care, and the jails

Jt1

Post Number: 10657
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Perhaps, somebody should have studied civics a bit better...

I understand the roles but you obviously missed my point that it is easy to fight everything when you don't have to find the solutions.

Perhaps somebody should be more pompous.

quote:

Patterson is County Executive of the wealthiest county in Michigan. He's not a legislator. Therefore, it's not his responsibility to legislate tax rules and regulations. His major responsibility is to operate the county functions in Oakland County in a sane fiscal manner.

Again it puts him in an easy role of fighting without offering any solutions.

Monahan - I am all for privatizing jails. I would like to see some substance behind his claim to privatize health care given the outstanding obligations by the state, counties and cities.

(Message edited by jt1 on November 01, 2007)

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, L Brooks has done a wonderful job of raping the city of it's wealthy, while taking advantage of the institutions that are in, and supported by, Detroit. He is a criminal for the damage he has done to the region as a whole. Not to mention the wasteful destruction of land within his own county for the creation of miles of McMansions and parking lots, without any real plan for the infrastructure needed to move that volume of car dependent persons around and out of the county.

Jt1

Post Number: 10658
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buzzman - Counties and cities in Michigan should operate in a vacuum. We see how much it has done for this state so we should continue doing the same thing.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 700
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's privatize the Oakland County Executive -

Penske could do it better, cheaper, and with one-twentieth the bellowing theatrics.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 437
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the Senate is picking this up - they already passed a bill moving implementation to Dec. 20 from Dec. 1.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071101/NEW S06/71101069

Jt1

Post Number: 10663
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So we are pretty much back to Oct.1 with no real cuts and no changes in revenue.

I believe that we must have the most incompetent legislators in the world.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 448
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What makes anyone think that "Oakland County" is going to be around forever. I bet if you asked a person in Detroit in the 1920s if they thought "Detroit" was going to be around forever, they would have laughed at you for asking such a silly question.

The people moved on from Detroit and they're STILL moving on...only from Oakland County. LBP, to me, is a double-edged sword. On the positive, he is a great leader who focuses on what he wants. On the other hand, he has done a poor job at retaining and growing his county for the long term. Short term success and vision is just going to lead to the "Detroitizing" of Oakland. I don't think the plague treats 8 Mile the way that our pea brains do. In fact, when it reaches the lower density short-term comfort zones, it's only going to be twice as detrimental.

So far, LBP's legacy that has impacted me most is the comment, "I REPRESENT SPRAWL!"

Happy to say, there's still time to reverse that image, but all intentions do not lead in that direction, sadly. Therefore, he is NOT just the Exec. of Oakland County, he's an executive for the region as well. Just like when "the mayor" comes on TV in this region, it's Detroit's mayor...our mayor. The decisions of LBP affect us more than I think we realize sometimes.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4513
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it that those with conveniently short (or no) memories are constantly trying to drag Patterson down? Patterson's Automation Alley has a much greater effect on the region than anything that Detroit has brought to the table lately.

And stow that constant shrill cry of the New Urbanists--SPRAWL. Oakland County is hardly sprawl. Where else should Oakland County's people live if they choose not to live in a dump like Detroit?

Rocket_city

Post Number: 449
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What makes Detroit a dump that would be so unlivable if they DID choose to live there?

No one's contesting the positives LBP has churned for the region. But, I bet you would be hard pressed to get any agreement that Detroit's regional positive effects (like Oakland's Automation Alley) would be thought of as "regional assets" by the majority of those living outside of Detroit. Even though they ARE regional assets, they aren't thought of as such because they are in that "dump" you speak of in Detroit, which to them, was written off long ago.

The Riverfront
The Book Cadillac
Belle Isle
Wayne State
Cultural Center
Sports
Aerotropolis
Heavy industry - where all of Oakland County's potential poor people live, eat and sleep to the belches of non-Oakland pollution

There's lots of things Detroit's brought to the table. One day it even brought Oakland County its people...including L. Brooks Patterson. What did it get in return? An apple pie- substituted-with-shit right in the face. :-)

So, I guess the "dump" metaphor works if you look at it that way.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 576
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocket, What are you really saying? I'm confused.

Rocket_city

Post Number: 450
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry. I'm just saying that Detroit, the so-called dump, has brought more to the table than most people think...a lot if it in the form of sacrifice. Probably the most evident of that sacrifice being its people. In this region, whoever gains is at someone else's loss. That principle, to me, is at the core of LBP's role in this region. He's representing a populous that, according to history, is temporary.

Yah, that's far fetched and can be said tongue-in-cheek, but to me explains that Detroit and its surroundings are not much different than so many people think. So, if Detroit's a dump, what does that make its surroundings?

I'm a bit off topic, so for that I apologize.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't need an alternative if you're a repub Jt. All you need is a catchy slogan and a soundbyte.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4517
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You don't need an alternative if you're a repub Jt. All you need is a catchy slogan and a soundbyte.

Apparently, you're offering your own alternative...

Is a soundbyte something to do with computerized audio or is it just a misspelling?

quote:

He's representing a populous that, according to history, is temporary.

And is a populous some kind of pizzeria--like Pizza Populace, err PizzaPapalis or, perhaps, an ancient computer game?

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on November 02, 2007)

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 4710
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The solution is obvious, the budget was increased by about the same amount the service tax would raise. Roll back the spending increases and repeal the tax and replace it with nothing.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, i've got a solution: right-to-work state! granholm tried to stave off the inevitable with one-time budgetary tricks, while manufacturing jobs left the state and plants were being built all throughout the south. she's owned by the unions, and she values power and political influence over the good of the state.

the uaw has gotten the message; when will granholm?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6754
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LBP,

This state is on a major budget crunch so DEAL WITH IT!

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 363
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are so many ironies in this "piece" from the Free Press.

LBP working hand-in-hand with our fine, upstanding, immigration law abiding landscape companies...

I'm not saying the underlying service tax is a good idea but this is a joke.

Rocket_city

Post Number: 451
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, LY a populous is something more like a McDonald's, not a pizza joint.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2588
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So far, LBP's legacy that has impacted me most is the comment, "I REPRESENT SPRAWL!""

that was former Speaker of the House Craig DeRoche (R-Novi) who said that, not Patterson.

Jt1

Post Number: 10668
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patterson has also made similar comments. I believe it was his 2005 state of the county speech that was praising sprawl and saying how wonderful it is.

I can try to find it later.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Where do I start to rebut this idiot?" queried Patterson. "Sprawl is not bad. It's in the eye of the beholder: If you have it, you call it economic development. If you don't have it, you whine and call it sprawl."

Thejesus

Post Number: 2590
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Patterson has also made similar comments. I believe it was his 2005 state of the county speech that was praising sprawl and saying how wonderful it is. "

I'm sure he did. But credit for the actual quote that RC posted goes to Craig DeRoche (R-Novi)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I *thought* you worked for DeRoche ...

;)

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 937
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The solution is obvious, the budget was increased by about the same amount the service tax would raise. Roll back the spending increases and repeal the tax and replace it with nothing.

Yeah, no problem finding $1 billlion of fat in state government. Those Dems just want to preserve do-nothing jobs for state employees and let rich business owners pay for it all.

I know that it's hard for LBP and the no-tax gang to actually identify specific programs to cut, but let me give em someplace to start. First, lets close EMU, Lake Superior and Ferris State. These are lower tier universities that don't produce outstanding graduates. We can survive without them. Then, we can close four or five penitentiaries. Just enough to get our incarceration rate down to that of our peer states. Those prisoners that get released due to these closings will likely all return to Detroit, (right?) so there won't be much of a community impact on other parts of the state.

Then, I was thinking that we could reduce Medicaid by eliminating the largest single group of recipients that milk the system. You know the welfare queens I mean. The largest and most expensive category of recipient is those old folks who successfully transfer their middle class assets to their children a few years before they require skilled nursing care, and who then enter nursing homes on the state dole. Then I thought, hey, I know a lot of families whose grandma or grandpa would be screwed if we made this budget cut. How fair would that be? So I've changed my mind and now I think that it would be better to cut day care subsidies for those low-income folks. They shouldn't have had kids if they can't afford day care.

See, it was easy to cut $1 billion.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2593
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I *thought* you worked for DeRoche... "

Unlikely. I'm not a Republican.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2719
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granholm and the whole lot of them are huge failures. It is way past time to go back to a part time legislature.

As for this thread; more tired shit about Patterson. If Patterson were Mayor of detroit you all would love him.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Unlikely. I'm not a Republican."

Sigh. No sense of humor...

Jt1

Post Number: 10669
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If Patterson were Mayor of detroit you all would love him.

It would depend upon his accomplishments. It is far easier to oversee the wealthiest county in the state than the poorest city.

His success in OC would not necessaily coorelate to success in Detroit. Very different challenges. Leading in a boom area is much easier.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 4759
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since when do the residents of Detroit vote for someone based on their accomplishments? Coleman young presided over the decline of the city and was re-elected 5 times. Look at the city council, what have they accomplished?

Thejesus

Post Number: 2594
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^sting!

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1582
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummm, back to Patterson ...

Jt1

Post Number: 10670
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

^sting!

Not really, no.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More like an attempted threadjack.

Rocket_city

Post Number: 453
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus, I know DeRoche was the one that said that quote, but like Jt, I recall Elle Brooks saying it as well. I think he even used the word "represent".

Can't you just picture LBP and DeRoche holding hands skipping into the sunset, down their gridlocked freeway surrounded by fields of parking lots and about 5 McMansions that all look the same?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.