Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » History of Transit Opt Out in Metro Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 725
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering if you guys could help me with a questoin I have for a project.

Do any of you know if Metro Detroit communities always had the option to opt out of SMART. Or is it a recent bylaw within the last 10-15 years or so?
When SMART was stared back in the 1960's, did communities vote then on if they wanted service, or was it just all provided?

Any info you got on this bylaw would be great.
I searched the bills that created SMART, but I see nothing in there saying communities can opt out.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 548
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prior to 1995, our federal and state governments supported SMART. It was the decision of the people to replace the state fuel tax with property. The property tax was supposed to balance the budget only but since 1995 our state has slashed about $32 Million per year from the SMART budget. You don't notice this because over $50 Million per year was raised from property taxes. The $2 Million per yer cut from Livonia is also quite large compared to our size in relationship to the rest of metro Detroit.

(Message edited by Trainman on November 02, 2007)

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 549
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See the Citizens Council Research of Michigan on SMART. This explains the history of funding as proof of my findings along with the FTA database and the brookings institute and other sources.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.