Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » New DIA commercials « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On YouTube now.

http://youtube.com/diamuseum

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that commercial is just a little bit hokie, but I guess nonetheless catchie.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2590
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who made those commercials?

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 584
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In August we had a thread on the classic "You Gotta Have Art" ad campaign and several DYES folk wondered if it could be worked into their new publicity promos, so being the take charge gal, I e-mailed the DIA; below is their reply. Their new promo is so bland I can't recall the jingle or slogan 5 min. after viewing!

I finally heard a reply from the DIA; rah, rah, blah. Posted below:

Hi

Pam Marcil forwarded the e-mail about your desire to see the "You Gotta Have Art" campaign revived. Although we're also fans of that memorable
campaign, we really need to communicate that there is something new and different happening at the DIA, while reinforcing the idea that engaging
with great art can be a transformative experience. With that in mind, we have been working for over a year on a new campaign - from research to
creative development and everything in-between - and are getting ready to launch it in late October. We're thrilled with the results and are
certain that the new campaign will not only get people's attention, but get them to visit the new DIA. Keep your eyes peeled and mark your calendar for the big opening days. November 10th is the black tie gala, November 16 - 18th is the Member preview and November 23, the day after
Thanksgiving, is our big public opening.

We hope to see you and all the "Detroit Yes" folks in November. In the meantime please don't hesitate to contact me if you need any more information on the grand opening of the new DIA.

Regards,

Jim

Jim Boyle
Director of Marketing
The Detroit Institute of Arts

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like them...cute and catchy. Thank god the "You Goin?" campaign is over!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5639
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, one day when Photoshop takes its' rightful place as an artform next to photography and cinema, maybe you can do an exhibit at the new expanded DIA... and your masterpiece can be "The Quiggen". :-)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3920
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't wait for the DIA to re-open. Was walking around there tonight and it really made me eager to see it.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3710
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today The Detroit News devoted a whole section to the DIA: The DIA reinvents itself: A guide to the museum.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 263
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a Founders' Society member for over 30 years, I'm amazed at the silence toward members on the re-opening. No invites, no special preview opening, etc. I called and got a voicemail saying that the "invites are at the printer" (so late??) and that we could use our "new" membership card to get in at any point. Got a call back that new membership card were just being mailed out and we should have them within a week. And, oh, membership costs are going up with the new re-opening. Patron membership has gone from $250 to $300 - a 20% increase! And, oh again, though our membership has been extended through May 2008, would I like to renew now? Seven months in advance? With all the extra money we all contributed for this rebuild, I'm feeling a bit taken for granted, particularly with no invites, etc.

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, is your ego really that fragile?

Ask not what you can do for the DIA, but what the DIA can do for you!

(Message edited by supergay on November 07, 2007)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 334
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every Patron needs to feel a little important, and to expect an invitation doesn't seem out of the ordinary. Maybe MTM is just being honest with their feelings; heck, if you aren't treated any differently than a non-patron, why pony up the extra cash?

The DIA has had a piss-poor record of treating their lower-level patrons. They almost seem to hold their noses when they take your money.

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Member preview days are:

*Friday November 16 (10am-10pm)
*Saturday November 17 (10am-Midnight) and
*Sunday November 18 (10am-6pm)

Mtm

Post Number: 265
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supergay,

I've supported the DIA, as mentioned, for over 30 years, through times when Engler cut their budget to giving extra for these renovations. Heck! I even gave when we lived in CA and I couldnt go to the DIA and in tough times when the spousal unit was unemployed. I give to a lot of charities and social programs in the metro area who appreciate help and contributions. I'm just amazed that, in all their ballyhooed reopening, the DIA's thank you to contributors is a 20% rate increase.

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mtm,

Since they increased their gallery space by 30% with the renovations, I'd say a 20% increase in patron membership a good deal--more exhibition space for your money.

Also, I received my invite in the mail yesterday. Maybe you got yours, too.

Mtm

Post Number: 266
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psewick,

Okay, I take it back. Hubby said we DID get our invite today so at least they're doing something. And yes, 20% fee increase for 30% more gallery space is a decent value.

Part of my concern with the price increase is that it might DISCOURAGE folks from joining. I give to a LOT of charities (you should see my daily mail!) and right now, with the current local conditions, my priorities are shifting to helping more people in need via FocusHOPE, DRM, COTS, etc. Compared to the needs of those charities and the people they support, $300 for DIA Partron Level is almost an indulgent luxury particularly since, between work and travel, we're rarely able to get to the DIA.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Museum Adventure Pass program, presented by Macy's and local libraries, offers a free pass for 4 to the DIA, beginning 11/28/07. See www.detroitadventurepass.org for details.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.