Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » What used to be in I-94, 8-mile area? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Postbop
Username: Postbop

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up on the east side near old 8 mile and I-94 in the late 70s and 80s.

These are places that I remember being different from then as compared to today.

Kentucky Fried Chicken = Fruit Market
Bally's = a couple of small houses and oil barrels
Walgreens = Great Scott Shopping Center
Kroger = McGlone Cadillac
Mr. C's Carwash = empty field with glass and debris
Office building on Hollywood ave. - Little Caesars

I'm sure those of you who are older than me know what was there before the things I mentioned. I would love to hear any thing you could tell me or share nostalgia about the north Harper Woods area.

Thanks!

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wally's Custard = Wally's Custard

thankfully, somethings never change

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 186
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broukes, Nonas Pizza,

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not Harper Woods, but a little further up Harper into SCS:

National Coney Island: Round Table Restuarant
Rome Tailor Shop: Barber Shop
Renzi: Unique Office Supply
Vacant (most recently Sand's Restaurant): Party Supplies Plus
Kroger: Was also Don Gooley Cadillac in the late 1980s

Can't remember what was on the Wendy's site prior to, but it has been there for 25 years.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5653
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a kid in the early 60's, I remember taking I-94 until it ended at Vernier. All freeway traffic had to exit at that exit and take Harper. In the distance you could see (just before the curve) the end of the freeway with dirt walls going up to ground level.

Also back behind the fitness center on 8 Mile Rd. at the freeway bridge is a small park. Before the freeway burrowed thru there, it used to be a much larger park called Schwaben Park. It was a private enthnic German park for Oktoberfests and other summer fests. I remember it had a dance pavilion. The park closed by the mid 60's when the freeway continued thru it into Macomb County.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 663
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://techtools.culma.wayne.e du/media/macomb/1952/de-19-87. pdf

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 187
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok- I can remember that too.When i94 ended at 8 mile rd. My mom would get on the freeway at Cadieux and exit at 8 mile rd. Do you remember the farm house at Beaconsfield and 8 mile?

Swgz31
Username: Swgz31

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you go to the Mr C's car wash at Hawthorne and Harper there are a bunch of old pictures of the area on the walls before the freeway came through.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 443
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Can't remember what was on the Wendy's site prior to, but it has been there for 25 years."

Trash before, and trash now.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5664
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Pgn421, I don't remember that farmhouse.

Maxcarey

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Can't remember what was on the Wendy's site prior to, but it has been there for 25 years."

Thank you for your intelligent contribution.

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't it a Top Hat Hamburger stand?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2061
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to be a Jack in the Box near where Wendys is now - early to mid seventies.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was also a small sporting goods store on the same side of Harper as the Round Table Restaurant. This was in the 70's.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 666
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old aerial I posted above blows my mind. The amount of open land just 55 years ago that far south is mind boggling. The urban line almost stopped right at the cities border. The North east section of Detroit has lots of new houses being built it appears. Its amazing how fast change happens.

Pharmer_b
Username: Pharmer_b

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a bit further North on Harper, but does anyone remember the slot car racing place?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 500
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Can't remember what was on the Wendy's site prior to, but it has been there for 25 years.

Thank you for your intelligent contribution."

"Used to be a Jack in the Box near where Wendys is now - early to mid seventies."

I rest my case.

Maxcarey

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for adding to the discussion Mr. Helper.

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did you find the old aerial view. I'm 28 and for some reason looking at old photos like this fascinate me.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 306
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sporting goods store was called Modern Emblem.

There was also Collie Drugs, Little Caesars (I think someone crashed his car into the place in the early '80s and that might've been its death knell), and I used to get my hair cut at a place called Pete's Barber Shop. All on Harper, north of Vernier. I lived down near Harper and Outer Drive, but My father managed the 7-Eleven at Harper and Shady Lane in the late '70s and 1980.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 510
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Thank you for adding to the discussion Mr. Helper."

I'm glad to point out the craziest things and places people will patronize.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1927
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetEdison aerial surveys

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there was a music studio i took guitar lessons, BARTS.....

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harpernottingham, your dad's 7-Eleven was the only place around where you could get junk food after midnight back in the old days. That was where all of the drunks were lined up waiting to microwave their burritos.

Postbop
Username: Postbop

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goose- I took piano lessons from Caroyln Borgula at Bart's studio.

I forgot about Wally's Frozen Custard and the Round Table.

Does someone know what year the 'eastland' farmhouse was demolished?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.