Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The Novi Hot Dog? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3372
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was younger I remember hearing about something called "The Novi Hot Dog" which was apparently some kind of race car. I believe the old water tower on Novi Road near Michigan Cat's facilities even had the racer painted on it for awhile. I think that was AFTER that water tower had the strange clown face on it for many years. Does anybody know about the Novi Hot Dog?

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i thought maybe the Novi Hot Dog was the hot dog you get from that vendor outside The Post late at night.

apparently not the same thing.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3838
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://mshf.com/index.htm?/mus eum/novi.htm

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/st ories/2004/10/01/hmn_feature23 .html

http://www.time.com/time/magaz ine/article/0,9171,854915,00.h tml

http://www.amazon.com/Novi-Ind y-1941-1965-Ludvigsen-Library/ dp/1583880372

None were sponsored by any hotdog companies near as I can tell.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3382
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's it. The "Hot Dog" came from the way it looks. Perhaps it was not widely called that, but I lived in Novi through 3rd grade and remember people calling it the Novi Hot Dog.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 273
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jtw - I was thinking the same thing.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3384
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"A distant, onrushing speck loomed on the expanse of deep crimson, and the supercharger's diabolical howl climaxed in a concussive thunderclap of exhaust as the projectile flashed past. In the grandstand of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the crowd was immobilized by its enraged shriek. In its cockpit, brave men choked back surges of fear.

This was the storied, terrifying Novi, all at once one of the most spectacular, intimidating and ill-starred cars in American racing history. With its fragile, but immensely powerful, supercharged V-8, it mesmerized those who heard it and grievously punished many who drove it. Indisputably, it was the most memorable loser in Indianapolis 500 history. The Novi project brought together several of Harry A. Miller's disciples in an attempted return to greatness, and many historians believe that the car's ultimate backer was none other than Henry Ford, hoping for credibility after being stung by failure at the Brickyard."

"The exact relationship between Lewis A. Welch and Henry Ford remains uncertain to this day, but it's clear that Ford respected him as a man who got things done. Having started with Ford as a machinist while still a teen-ager, Welch was a sycophant of the company's founder, and when he left Ford in 1935 to found the Novi Equipment Co. in Novi, Michigan, he did it with a $25,000 personal loan from Ford. Novi supplied Ford with a variety of components, most notably governors for Ferguson tractors. In 1939, Ford jointly awarded Welch and Indianapolis 500 winner Louis Meyer with an engine-reconditioning plant outside Los Angeles. By then, Welch was already active at Indy as a car owner."

From Skulker's second link.. Some interesting History there.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 230
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Locally, it's always been called the "Novi Special". The car was at city hall recently and it shows up around town every so often for special events. It's owned by the city and is the one shown in the Motorsports link.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the Motorsports HOF in Novi some time.
http://www.mshf.com/

Click on open wheel and see the Novi Special.

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 151
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always forget about the Motorsports Hall of Fame. Heck, I grew up in Novi and never knew it was there until we took a random fieldtrip there with school. They should move that place out of the old, abandoned expo center and give it a new home on the fake main street. Not like there isn't any room there.

There's an old water tower by the woods I used to play in as a kid (before they were turned into condos). Has a picture of a Novi Special on it. I should find out exactly where they used to make those.

(Message edited by hooha on November 05, 2007)

Novine

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who haven't seen it, this is the water tower with the car on it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/e rcy/355803008/

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3386
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that's it. Do you remember the orange clown face that used to be on that water tower? This would have been in the 80's I think. I always found it to be a strange landmark.

Novine

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I do. I don't remember when that got repainted. It's been the Novi Special for a while but it was previously that clown face. Odd.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3389
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it was painted sometime around the construction of West Oaks 2 or Novi Town Center. When I lived in Novi, there was Twelve Oaks Mall and West Oaks accross the street, and that was about it. That West Oaks had Service Merchandise in it, the strangest store I've ever seen. Walk around and write down what you'd like to buy, and then at the cashier it comes out on a conveyor belt.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.