Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Blue and Green: A tale of two states » Archive through November 04, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not an alum of either school, but GO GREEN!

Blue is overrated, both in academics and athletics. MSU students are more "real world" and have less attitude. Michigan is wanna-be Ivy League. MSU has more of a home-grown football team, compared to the Texans and Floridians in Ann Arbor.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 477
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56Packman: When ya got it ya gotta flaunt it...besides cowboy wisdom says "It ain't braggin' if ya done it!
Go Blue!! '65

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3891
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep the cliche complaints coming, Crawford and others. Arrogance assholes, ugly girls, bad parties...yeah life sucks here at U-M, because in truth, we all really suck. And apparently we are all ugly.

Ron, I'd say "most" people rooting for any good team that is very prominent and always winning will be non-students/non-alums. As large as UM is, there are like half-a-million living alumni, but many, many more fans. When you consistently play meaningful games and have a tendency to win more than you lose (something MSU hasn't experienced since the 70s, other than a good year or two with Saban), you often gain new fans. UM grads, like any other type of grad (but to a greater extent), go out into the world and meet people in other places, who may get to know them and follow UM sports with them. UM has a major presence in most big cities in America, thanks to its grads. But other than that, people who go here can't control who is and is not a fan of our athletic teams. And don't tell me there aren't alot of Wal-Mart Sparties. You guys even have Michael Moore rockin the big S on his baseball cap.

And yay for setting fireworks inside your academic buildings (no doubt to scare people in light of recent campus violence at VT): http://www.statenews.com/index .php/article/2007/10/berkey_ha ll_evacuated

Goblue

Post Number: 484
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mack: ya gotta love these Greenies...they get their shorts all knotted up real quickly and real easily.

Go Blue

U-M 30
MSU 10

Schulzte1
Username: Schulzte1

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

U of M vs. MSU
Go State!

U of M vs. Ohio State
Go Buckeyes!

U of M vs. Notre Dame
Go Irish!

U of M vs. Saskatoon Roughriders Canadian Football Team
Go Roughriders!

U of M vs. University of California at Santa Cruz Women's Water Polo Team
Go Santa Cruz!

U of M vs. Adelaide Crows Australian Rules Football Team
Go Crows!

U of M vs. 1980 Soviet Red Army Hockey Team
Go Commies!

U of M vs. Pakistani National Cricket Team
Go Pakistan!

U of M student vs. some Ivy League guy on the Jeopardy College Tournament
Go Harvard!

U of M football player wrestles angry bear in old school carnival exhibition
Go bear!

U of M vs. Martian team from a distant galaxy in an interplanetary contest of subatomic fusion engineering
Go Martians!....I REALLY WANT STATE TO WIN THIS WEEKEND

Goblue

Post Number: 485
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Schulzte1....perhaps some valium might help.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3900
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Schultze, unfortunately you're bound to be disappointed 80-90% of the time (and that's when UM is playing actual football teams). I hope you don't ride on the fate of UM too much, because you'd have a rather disappointing existence.

At least if someone always wanted to see MSU lose they'd be right at least half the time. And if they were gratified by MSU going on a 5 game losing streak or losing 5 out of 6 games after October 1st, they'd just about always end up happy.

Schulzte1

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Wolverine suggesting drug experimentation? I guess it's true what they say about stereotypes!!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5290
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue and Maize!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2001
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To the winner goes the BIG TROPHY---The Paul Bunyan Trophy, a contribution by then Governor Soapy Williams and awarded annually to the victor in this rivalry which dates back 100 years.
I was at Michigan when the Trophy was first presented. Soapy and wife Nancy would sit on the "Home side" of the stadium for the first half, and then after the marching bands had performed, they would cross the field( to an ovation of thunderous boooooos)to the "visitors" side where they would sit for the second half. No favoritism.
The Paul Bunyan Trophy is probably the weirdest looking thing you have ever seen.
I look foreward to this game, though I am concerned about a rumor I just heard that MSU has convinced the Mich. Dept. of Corrections to allow Lonnie Bates to be in charge of the Official Time clock.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 345
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Michigan's chances in this one. What are the odds of a Wolverines team losing to two Division I-AA schools in the same season?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4290
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ho-hum... :-)

Goblue

Post Number: 505
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same 'ol...same 'ol!

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 382
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anybody representing WMU.....the true University of Michigan....I think WMU is still open....Right???? I met a guy from my old Detroit neighborhood who did go to grad school in AA......he became a barber in Alaska and I think he now has a shop in southern Arizona...."Eugene's Clip Joint" google it and you will see a new photo of "Gene".......he is the guy with the Princeton haircut.....in the middle......with the green and white polo

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 188
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fans of both teams nearly had a Hart attack today...

henne for heisman!

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3926
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little too thrilling, but awesome in its own right. Henne gained even more respect performing like that in pain.

6 in a row v. Michigan Agricultural College.

(Message edited by mackinaw on November 03, 2007)

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 707
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would vote the Heisman for Mario Manningham based only on that last touchdown catch of his. Amazing.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4291
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mario should get the keys to East Lansing too. His catch spared the city from another beer riot.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 502
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank God basketball season is right around the corner...GO GREEN!

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3928
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beilen will change the UM-MSU dynamic quite a bit. I'm pretty sure the two teams only meet once this year, though, which would suck.

Schulzte1

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back from the game. That was soul-crushing. But a State fan is a State fan is a State fan....come hell or high water. Our fan base isn't built on Wal-Mart Wolverines!

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 152
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im not an alumni either, but its amazing how students that couldnt get into WCCC bash Michigan

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3929
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct, Schultze, but you may have Wal-Mart Sparties, no?

Schulzte1

Post Number: 92
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I could take a poll and ask people why they like either University.

The #1 answer for State fans: their family ties to the University

#1 answer for Michigan fans: We're good at football

Most of the real jerk U of M fans have no ties to the University what so ever. The more reasonable ones are usually alums who are embarrassed by the Wal-Mart Wolverines. I was at the Joe for the U of M /MSU hockey game and I had my MSU jersey on. Some jerk Michigan fan got in my face in line for the bathroom and told me how much MSU sucked. I asked him if he was a student or an alumni. He shut right up. The older Michigan fan behind me laughed out loud.

If people knew all the dirty things U of M has done over the years to prevent MSU from being the University it is today, they would be really surprised.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 932
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Our fan base isn't built on Wal-Mart Wolverines!"

That's a red herring if I ever saw one.
It's not the so-called WM Wolverine fans that bother MSU fans. Your dislike of UofM is driven by your inferiority complex.

(Message edited by rjk on November 04, 2007)

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw,
If you think any Spartan is ashamed of the name "Michigan Agricultural College" you really are in outer space.

Spartan pride is for everything the university is and was.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 270
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone else at the game notice the Wolverines raise their "STILL ARROGANT" banner in the northeast corner of the stadium? Yeah. That's not something to be proud of.

It's not so much that I am bitter that State lost...hell, since I started at State in 2000, I've only seen us beat Michigan once. That said, it's the attitude of the Wolverines that really pisses me off. I mean, truly the most arrogant, belligerent fans you'll find anywhere. Fans that on the way out of the stadium find it necessary to chant that it's great to be a Wolverine. Fans who speak proudly that they'd enjoy earning a beatdown by Spartan fans for running their mouth (the guy walking next to me after the game actually said this).

A true sportsman enjoys his victory, and respects the fact that it's 'only a game'. Those who get in the face of the losing team's fans to inform them that their teams sucks - well, they're just plain assholes. Unfortunately, in my experience, a majority of Michigan's fans are like this.

I still love my team, and if nothing else, I'd say the MSU marching band put on one hell of a performance at halftime.

Noggin
Username: Noggin

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get a bit of amusement of how MSU fans enjoy UM do badly more than their owns Spartans do well. Sounds like an inferiority complex to me.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3930
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belligerent fans, Wazooty? No, they are truly among the most passive. That's a well-established fact. The little brother with the inferiority complex might be threatened by passive Michigan fans, but I don't think anyone else is. After three straight years of being at every home football game, I have never seen visitors treated with any undue or excessively profane harassement. Belligerent is how you characterize Ohio State fans.

With regards to your third paragraph...if my team had your record and current losing streak and stranger said that we sucked, I'd say 'hell yeah we do.'

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 271
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Michigan fans feel it's necessary to hold up a "STILL ARROGANT" banner after a victory at Spartan Stadium, they've got it coming.

It's the arrogance we loathe. You have a superior team, but you lack class.