Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Another Memories Thread - Your First Job » Archive through November 05, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been reading the threads about old dimestores and some posters mention that these stores were their first places of employment. I thought it might be interesting to recollect the first jobs we ever held (in the Detroit area) and in doing so remember some of the area businesses of the by-gone years...

When I was in my junior year of high school, I got a job at Randazzo's Fruit Market. It was located at Mound Rd. and E. Outer Dr. I think it was their first location. Now they have a couple suburban stores. Back then, quite a few teens worked there. I was a cashier and it really was pretty demanding because the price per pound of fruit changed from day to day, even changed during a shift. In the 70's, we could not "scan" the prices, and the registers did not compute them for us. The produce got weighed on a scale and we did the math to multiply that by price per pound so we could ring it up on the register. Sometimes we did the more complicated math by writing the problem out on the paper bags. Tax? We had charts, but after a week or two everyone just memorized that in their heads up to $20 or so.
I remember that the fruit came out of the box in paper wrappers, got dumped onto the tables and then the wrappers had to be hand-picked off of them. My favorite thing about Randazzo's was the huge peanut roasting machine, a huge tumbling cylinder about as large as a small cement mixer. When it was roasting a fresh batch of peanuts, that place smelled wonderful!
I only worked there a few months, then got a (higher wage) job at Burger King on Gratiot near Gunstan. Doesn't that just give a new meaning to "movin' on up, to the Eastside...?"

Please add your FIRST JOB below, and remember, the idea here is to share your memory about FIRST PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT; no lame, alternate "job" interpretations, please. We don't need to go there. Thanks!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BK

That's me, working the "expediting" position at the Burger King pick up window back in the spring of 1969. I worked at the Van Dyke and 11 Mile Rd. BK store #493 from the time it opened in March of 1969 until I went away to college in August of 1970, by which time I had advanced from $1.65 to $1.95 per hour. If you look closely at the photo, you can see that back then, a Whopper™ sold for 49 cents and the Whaler™ fish sandwich cost 45 cents. During the summer of 1969, that store consistently had the top daily sales of any BK in the nation. Lunch hour patrons would be lined up out the door yet they would never have to wait more than 5 minutes to order and pick up their food, thanks to the three-window queue system that BK used to use.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 948
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at the Jewish Cemetary on Gratiot and 13? 14? Worked all summer weeding graves. Tough hot work, quiet too.

I also folded laundry at Beaumont Hosptial

Also worked at McDonalds on 11 miles in RO

(Message edited by miss cleo on November 04, 2007)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4537
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father and a relative--Harley Davidson's chief T&D maker and the foreman of its stamping plant--had a cottage industry in the basement of our older farm house in Milwaukee. We manufactured copper tubing straps (for mounting copper plumbing tubing) during the 1950s. I might run the punch press and make a few bucks as a ten-year-old. (It mightwould never pass OSHA in its safety features then--but there was no OSHA then either. But hell, I still have nine, err, make that eight fingers left.)

A couple years later, I had a 4:15AM "throwing" paper route of about 75 to 100 papers. Other than that, my first real job was in commercial radio/TV broadcasting at a number of stations in production or "chief engineering" back while in college and later.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on November 04, 2007)

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 152
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pumping gas, midnights at Michigan And Livernois Shell. 1977 min wage was upto 2.65. Across the street the ElDorado Hotel was in full swing and the hookers and street folk put on quite a show.

(Message edited by karl jr. on November 04, 2007)

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3142
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cleaned offices for a company whose name I completely forgot. I liked that job a lot. Then I worked for a little head shop on Grand River, damn hippie that owned it never paid me.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5105
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andiamos as a dishwasher when I was 14. It didnt last very long since the work was extremely shitty and the people running the joint were shady.

Mother_earth
Username: Mother_earth

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first job was working behind the lunch counter at Woolworths, Grand River and Oakman. I would say it was about 1956-1957
Loved that job, and all the people. We wore yellow uniforms, which included an apron and a small hat we pinned on with bobbie pins. Also mandatory a hairnet. We must have looked real cute. Ah, the good old days!

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 148
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Floor boy at Superbowl in canton until I realized I was allergic to smoke. Then McDonalds.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4400
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freshman year at RHS: I am 14, but my voice is low and I inflate my age to 15 on the application to work as a phone solicitor at NET Inc. 22136 Grand River Ave (near the Old Redford Bowling Alley).
I sell tix for the Police Officers Assoc of MI annual all-star stage show, featuring "Stars you've seen and heard on the Grand Old Opry".
The one ticket will admit your WHOLE FAMILY to the show for only TEN DOLLARS!
May we count on your support for the Police and drop one in the mail today?
(To the day I die, I will be able to recite the spiel word for word).
My wages quickly rise from 2.65 to 3.00 to 5.00 an hour!
I never misrepresent myself as a cop, but when people say "thank you for calling, Officer!" I don't always correct them.

Soon, I am one of the "super-sellers" along with the Jorgensen Brothers (from 7 mile and Greenfield) and Larry R (from Braile St).
We enjoy our business lunches at Christo's Coney Island on Lahser and Grand River.

Soon, I am in the tenth grade. I purchase my first car with my wages, a car that a young sales professional like myself deserves: A black 1971 Eldorado with a red leather interior.

Unfortunately the car is such a piece of shit that in the summer between 10th and 11th grade, I have to get a second job at Mr. Tony's Subs to cover the expenses.

Soon, I downsize to a vintage Thunderbird. NET eventually moves to Warren and Evergreen. After almost two years, I tire of selling tix and the commute. I resign, and enjoy serving humanity at Mr. Tony's Subs on 7 Mile for a while.
We are allowed only one bun per shift, but we allowed to eat as much meat and cheese as we want.
As most of the staff is teenagers, we are constantly microwaving paper plates of sliced meat and cheese. Did I mention that my coworkers and I also smoked lots of pot, which seemed to increase our appetites?
Eventually, I leave Mr. Tony's to work another job. They go bankrupt shortly after.
I have never told this to anyone, but I am still convinced that my co-workers and I ate them into bankruptcy.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 503
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked on a huge vegetable farm in the late '70's for $2/hr. Farmers were (and still are I think)exempt from paying minimum wage. Back breaking work for sure. Bending, lifting, long hours, hot sun. By the end of the summers, I had a killer tan and was in the best shape of my life. I remember that when there was nothing to pick, the owner would let us work in the fields picking up rocks so they wouldn't damage the equipment. We would pick them up and put them on a wagon all day long. My back is getting sore just thinking about it. To this day, the experience gives me an appreciation of what it takes to get fresh produce to the public. This farm is still in business but they no longer employ teenagers, only migrant workers mostly from Mexico. By my second year in college, I had a summer job in a beer warehouse. Talk about benefits for a college kid!

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 788
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enjoyable read Barnesfoto!

My first place of employment was the Rustler's Steakhouse on Grand River just east of the Southfield Expressway, circa 1976. It was walking distance from my home in south Rosedale Park. This restaurant was almost always busy with hungry customers. The steak, salad, potato, and bread were delicious.

It was great earning cash for the activities my parents would not support.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, not counting my Detroit Times route, first real job was at Fromm's Hardware at Grand River near Joy Road. Fromm's had maybe a dozen stores around town with the main headquarters being on Woodward in Highland Park.

Great job for a young man. Learned the hardware business real well; learned many things that were so very useful in real life later on. I've been a do-it-yourself home handyman all my life and I love doing projects around the house.

Had that job for three years in High School and WSU, and only left for the job with the C of D.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watered trees for the Greening of Detroit all throughout high school, good times, it almost made me care about the environment.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 259
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little Caesars on Greenfield next to Fred`s Food Alcove, who also owned it until about a year after I started there. Two hard earned bucks an hour weren`t much, even in 1979. At least we ate well :-) .

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 419
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 7-11 at E. Warren and University, schlepin slurpees to the preppy Grosse Pointer girls. Break time was spent in the cooler partaking of some "broken" beer bottles and smokin a left-hander.

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

besides mowing lawns, my first "real" job was working at an Hour Detroit's Restaurant of the Year in Royal Oak that has since closed its doors. its a shame; I loved returning from college over breaks and stopping in there.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Selling newspapers on a corner, Saturday nights and Sunday mornings. Every weekend unless there was a newspaper strike. The Sunday papers were 20 cents when I started. Some folks would give me a quarter and walk away.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 6798
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While in sixth or seventh grade, Dad decided to open up an "Antique Shop", actually just a second-hand furniture and appliance store on Springwells.

As I-75 (Fisher) was being built at that time, Dad was able to buy entire households, from people whose homes were purchased along the route.

To this day I despise cleaning stoves and refrigerators, although I still enjoy refinishing furniture.

I still own a few pieces from that store, I just wish we had kept a few of those cabinet radios (sigh!).

Dad closed the store when he bought an Archway Cookie route on the West Side, my summers were spent with him on the truck everyday delivering cookies to almost every store between Fenkell and Downriver. I was writing up orders for supermarkets at the age of thirteen.

3 days after my 16th birthday, I got my first "non-family" job. I started as a stockboy at the combination party store/butcher shop around the corner from my (by then) mother's house. It was there I came to enjoy wine, especially Mateus and Lancer's Rose, although it probably didn't help the owner's profitline. (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

I stayed there until it was sold to a new owner. The first week, I worked over 70 hours to impress him enough to keep my job. On payday, he gave me $25, and told me he gave me a bit extra for the good job I had done.

I, then walked to the Great Scott supermarket at Dix and Southfield, applied and was hired as a bagger. It was there I came to appreciate beer (also a profit loss), after I was promoted to stock.

Ahh, the sins of youth!

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 426
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being the seventh of eight kids in my family I often wore my older sisters clothes and it really got to me as a kid. One day I complained about it (9 years old at the time) and my Dad said "If you don't like it, get a job and buy you own clothes"...so I did. I worked at a little store on the corner of Stark and Plymouth Rds called Your Market. It was a door down from Cloverdales, Schaffers Clothier was in the middle. I stocked the coolers, cleaned, stocked the shelves and worked behind the deli making sandwiches. No laws were broken there!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended Wilbur Wright Cooperative High School in the 1960's. Once a student was in 11th grade you got to interview for a co-op job in the field you were studying. I took all business courses. If we got a job we worked for two weeks and went to school for two weeks every month. Back then many of the businesses in Detroit would put in to hire students. S.S. Kresge, Michigan Blue Cross Blue Shield, Fred Saunders, Detroit Board of Education, Edison Company, Michigan Bell, WTVS Channel 56, just to name a few. We were graded on our job performance plus we earned a paycheck. I remember earning $2.00 an hour. My first job was through the Detroit Board of Education and I was hired into Edmonson Elementary School. I was the assistant to one of the secretaries, Mrs. Yeager.

As an everyday activity I was responsible for typing up stencils that I would run on the mimeograph machine with black ink. I would have to swab the ink onto the fabric drum and run the flyers that would get distributed to the students. The machine had a hand crank and you had to keep track of how many times you went around for how many copies you needed. No copy counter on that machine! Sometimes lessons were typed on them, other times there might be announcements for the students to take home to their parents. If you made a mistake in typing there was this "fluid" in a bottle that you had to dab onto the stencil that would cover up your error and give you a new surface to type on. You had to let the stuff dry before rolling the stencil back onto the place where you needed to retype or "cut the stencil" as it was called. I can still smell the fragrance of that "fluid". I'm sure if kids today used it they would probably take the opportunity to sniff it and get high on it. It never crossed our minds though - at least mine anyway! Depending on how many copies of something was needed, I might have to type on a duplicating paper that would smash the type onto the opposite side of the paper - to make copies on a "fluid duplicator". The type would be purple and if you made a typo you had to take the copy out of the typewriter, rip a piece of the purple backing paper off (from the edge), scratch off your mistake with a razor blade, put the paper back in the typewriter and squirm the piece of purple backing in place and then type the correct word onto the original. After handling black ink for the mimeograph machine and the purple paper for the fluid duplicator - my hands and fingernails were a mess. It was a very messy way to make copies until Mr. Xerox came along and invented the copy machine!

Mrs. Yeager was very instrumental in working with a young John Conyers on getting the "Head Start Program" up and running for the Detroit Chapter. And I was fortunate enough to be a part of that as well as every day activities. I remember meeting Mr. Conyers once when he came to the school. I had no idea at the time as to whom I was actually meeting.

Sometimes I wish I had stayed with the Detroit Board of Education instead of going onto other things.

Mother_earth
Username: Mother_earth

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray 1936, working in the area of Joy Rd and Grand River, did you eat at Famous Pizzeria, right down from the Rivera theater. I think that was the best pizza I ever ate in my life.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Killing bad guys for the USN.

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Silver Dragon restaurant on Kelly in Harper Woods as a dishwasher in 1966. I think I was making $1.25 an hour.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dishwasher at On Stage Restaurant on Adams St. Downtown Detroit. $3.65 an hour.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 306
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

picking strawberries from about age 6 to 10

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 297
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loving all the nostalgic posts!

My first job was with Detroit Parks and Recreation as a Lifeguard.

Worked just about all the high schools on the west side (and Post JH); also guarded at Butzel, Belle Isle, and Brennan Pools during the summer.

Very, very good times - at all times.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3365
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked the bottle return at Kroger. There was a large apparatus called a Kansmacker:

Each hole in the 'smacker was for a different maker of soft drinks or beer. First you had to memorize what company made what brands. Then you would fill the trough below the holes with cans, and start grabbing cans and throwing them in the right hole, where they would then be mashed flat by a large turning cylinder, and fall into a compartment which would be shipped back to the maker to be recycled.

After some practice, you would not look at the holes anymore, only down at the trough. Eventually you could smack about a can per second.

The very first thing I bought with my own money was an accoustic guitar, which I still have today.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 638
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first job was working in the foundry at Ford Motor Company which lasted 5 months. I lucked up on a job as a telephone operator for Michigan Bell in 1973. I worked there for 7 years until I was allowed to transfer to their Art Department. There were no black artists in the art department in 1973. In 1980 the art department needed to have 1 black male and 1 black female on their payroll. I transferred to the art department in 1981.
I'm still there. (here)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked for a few days at the Grand River Drive-in concession stand. One of my jobs was to boil hot dogs in a nasty aluminum sauce pan on an equally nasty hot plate in the back room.
At age 16 I couldn't add up the purchases in my head, and didn't know the proper way to make and count back change. I deserved to be fired.