Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Anyone go on an Inside Detroit Tour? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was wondering if anyone would suggest the Inside Detroit Tours? Just read the piece on them in ModelD, and was wondering if anyone's given them a try?

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/insideD.aspx

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know Jeannette (she dates one of my co-workers) and this woman knows her stuff. I thought that I knew a lot. Hell, anyone can tell you that the Dime Building was designed by Daniel Burnham and opened in 1910. Jeannette can tell you what Burnham was wearing that day and if he preferred boxers or briefs as well as tons of trivia about the building itself. A walking encyclopedia.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 350
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to second that, Rhymeswithrawk. Even when she's out just walking around downtown with friends she can tell you about a majority of the buildings which surround you. I'd recommend the tours.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5678
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeanette, who posts here and is a member of the Forum Social Club, is a great tour guide! I first met her when she started volunteering as a walking tour guide for Preservation Wayne's annual downtown movie palace tours every August.

I just helped her get access to the former Michigan Theatre 2 weeks ago. She had some out of state Architects that were dying to see it as part of their downtown tour.

Wish there were more Detroit boosters like her! :-)

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been on a few tours myself - was introduced to a few places like Pulse and Baile Corcaigh, to name a few. I've been back to several places a few times since then. They've become favorites of mine.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always wondered why the downtown area doesn't have more tours during the summers... I've been to a bunch of cities, cities with less history than Detroit, and they all have walking or bus tours...

I'd love to see a doubledecker driving around the city showing people the rich history and beautiful architecture...

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2675
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, there are at least 3 organizations doing tours in the summer:

www.preservationwayne.org

www.detroittourconnections.com
and the one mentioned above

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2705
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should support these organizations doing tours of our City!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.