Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » German food » Archive through November 05, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1936
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I promised a lady friend that I would take her out for dinner on the Friday after Thanksgiving when I am back up that way. She didn't have a preference for any particular type of food, but we both ironically have German backgrounds, so a German fare seems like it might be interesting. Aside from Dakota Inn Rathskeller (http://www.dakota-inn.com/web/ pages/home/) what are some other authentic Detroit German restaurants that I could consider for dinner?

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 860
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jacoby's is good, though it is a bar setting. Its right downtown.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3037
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rarely dis restaurant food, but I gotta admit the last dinner I had at Jacoby's wasn't that great and my mom's rouladen was undercooked and tough as shoe leather. It was very disappointing since it was the first time I took her there.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5641
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's always The Dakota Inn on the north side of Detroit, and Richters over on Telegraph Rd.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to say Richters on Michigan Ave at Telegraph in Dearborn.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1942
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What sort of environment is Richters? While I don't mind the setting of a bar, I was just hoping for something a little classier than the Dakota Inn...

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 93
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're driving this far anyway, head on out to Metzger's at the Zeeb Road exit off I-94, west of Ann Arbor. German as it gets. Not a bar--restaurant with lots of beer steins on the ceiling beams, good fresh German draft beers, etc. Can also try the Heidelberg on Main St. in downtown Ann Arbor.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metzger's. thanks. Didn't even think about that place.

(and actually I am flying. There really is no good way to drive between Charlotte and Detroit.)

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 373
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say the Heidelberg in Ann Arbor over Metzgers.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3038
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metzgers has the best traditional German food in a non-bar atmosphere. Heidelberg is more like a bar.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 94
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Heidelberg has both a bar and a regular dining room. I think it's a tough choice. Metzger's is bigger, busier, and quite consistent. The Heidelberg can sometimes outdo them, though--they have things like rabbit on the menu sometimes, and when they really nail a dish it's more distinctive than anything at Metzger's. Metzger's sometimes has kind of a blue-hair atmosphere (although there isn't a serious Lawrence Welk vibe); Heidelberg generally does not.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 503
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't there a place called Schmidt's in Ann Arbor too?

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 137
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always liked both The Heidelberg and Metzger's, but I think Metzger's has more authentic German food.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1947
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, somewhat of a bar atmosphere would not be a deal killer, but the lady friend is not 21. It's just that drinking will not be the focus of dinner (that's why the Dakota Inn I didn't think would work out so well with its beer first, food second type of theme).

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my german relatives like richters, this irish/german likes itailian, so i get fish & chips.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2005
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad it closed up so many years ago. Anyone on the eastside remember The Little Cafe on the West side of Gratiot at Barlow? Wonderful German restaurant, authentic food, Bavarian atmosphere with murals painted on the outside walls of the building.
Why or why did it ever have to close? It was the best. Step aside Jacobys or even Schweitzers downtown.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 148
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Richter's atmosphere is sort of dark, kind of emulating a bierkeller or something. Great food though.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6758
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you all folks tried German Pancakes.

Here's how you make them:

GERMAN PANCAKES

6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
butter

Mix the milk, flour and sugar together. Beat until smooth. Heat a large non-stick skillet and melt a small amount of butter with it. Pour enough of the pancake batter onto the skillet to cover the whole pan in a thin layer. Once the edges start drying, it's time to flip. Use a large spatula for this. It doesn't take much time on the second side. Continue baking the rest of the pancakes like this.
The pancakes do not fluff up like typical American-style pancakes.

Top with your choice of applesauce, cinnamon sugar or syrup. After adding topping, fold pancakes in half with the topping on the inside and lightly sprinkle cinnamon sugar over top.

Give it a try, Its delicious!

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metzger's is in my father's opinion...the most accurate Bavarian style food, and his parents are from south of Munich near the border with Austria, so they're as Bavarian as you can get. However...it is quite a drive and the Dakota Inn I have heard has a fun atmosphere. I drive by it once in a while, but I have a hard time spending money for food I can make at home exactly to my liking. And the best thing about Bavarian food is a fun little dish called "Semmel Knodel" (bread dumplings). They are made of stale bread, egg, salt, pepper and a bit of parsley and onion powder, formed into racquetball sized lumps and boiled. They are incredible when served with my father's famously delicious ketchup and onion gravy. Oh yeah, and for rouladen, the Polish Village on Yemans in Hamtramck has the best quality and price (8.50 for a 2 piece dinner with kopytka). *sigh* I love German food :-)

Kenp

Post Number: 862
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Old German that used to be in Ann Arbor was my favorite, when they left I started going to Metzgers. I was fond of the Pork Shank. Since I have not been to Metzgers since they moved to Zeeb rd, I couldnt recommend it. However if it is the same food as the old location then its the best in the area by far. Heidelberg is ok but nothing like Metzgers.

Gistok

Post Number: 5656
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best German food is in mom's kitchen. At 85 she still makes the best Beef Rouladen... and yesterdays Schweinebraten (pork tenderloin) was outstanding!

The best Beef Rouladen has paprika, onions and bacon in the center, not pickles!

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1965
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Metzger's is in my father's opinion...the most accurate Bavarian style food..."

Actually, half of my German heritage comes from the region of Germany in the border with France (not sure off the top of my head about the other half).

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 301
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

Can you get her to open a restaurant? I would love to go to a good German restaurant in this area but I have yet to find one. I have been to a few that have been mentioned here and was not impressed. Of course I am spoiled because my wife is German and we visit Germany often.

My mother-in-law is the best source that I know, but I only see her about once a year!

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metzger's or Jacoby's in my humble, yet stubborn German opinion. Ate at both, numerous times. Greatly enjoyed both, numerous times.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1967
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The best German food is in mom's kitchen."

Will it be open the day after Thanksgiving?

Gistok

Post Number: 5657
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ LOL... sorry Charlottepaul... but mom's retired! She only cooks now on Sundays. The rest of the week it's either leftovers or Stouffer's entrees...

My sisters mother-in-law passed away at age 82 2 years ago. Luckily before she passed, both my sister and niece both learned how to make her German Rum Torte. There's so much rum in that cake that you can get a buzz off of it... yummy!

(Message edited by Gistok on November 05, 2007)

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 247
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, for me the vote is easy: My Austrian wife, although she cooks Austrian food (Which does have a lot of differences ). I would vote for Metzger's. We had a rather disappointing meal at Jacoby's recently, a schnitzel that was grease city.

Chicago has a fantastic Bavarian / Austrian restaurant: Glunz

http://www.glunzbavarianhaus.c om/

Last time we were there my wife talked to the chef from Salzburg, as close as we have ever gotten to the real thing in the States. They even had Stiegl beer.

In Chicago you can also hit the only Julis Meinl Cafe from Vienna in the entire US. Too good to be true, the food there is also outstanding, sigh..

http://www.meinl.com/southport /home.html

I agree about the "Semmel Knodel", quite good! My wife makes a variant with cheese and ham in them, yum :-)

Gistok

Post Number: 5661
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... wiping the drool off my keyboard...

My favorite places to visit in Germany/Austria are the Konditorei (sit down coffeehouse with bakery), as well as restaurants. The closest thing to a Konditorei that I've found is Josef's Bakery in Grosse Pointe Woods.

I wonder why German/Austrian/Swiss restaurants aren't that popular in the USA? The food is outstanding. Ironically Chicken (a Frankemuth specialty) is not a big German specialty, where beef and pork are more popular.

Kenp

Post Number: 864
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicken isnt a German specialty? I wonder how they came up with Chicken as a big seller in Frankenmuth. Maybe they conned us all these years that they were German.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 6824
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock
Agreed, my last meal there was hasenpfeffer I still miss it.

But, at least, the stein that sits on my desk holding my pens and pencils came from The Little Cafe. (I found it on ebay)

Damn, now I'm going to crave that hasenpfeffer all week long.