Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Braylon Edwards « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2640
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been hearing a lot lately about all of his philanthropic activities and thought he deserved a thread on DY...

So many of these athletes nowadays suddenly come into money and blow it all by spending it on crap they don't need and by embarrassing themselves in the media by acting like idiots.

This guy is an exception.

Some of his activities I've heard about lately include:

-Pledging $1,000,000 in scholarships for students in Cleveland

-Donating $500,000 to the University of Michigan

-Paying $6,000 for the funeral of 15-year-old boy who died this week of a heart condition in Cleveland who idolized Edwards and whose family couldn't afford to pay for one

I think he is setting a great example, not only for athletes who sign multi-million dollar contracts, but for anyone with the means to donate in a way that can have such a positive impact on other peoples' lives.

It's nice to have a guy from the area represent his University and his hometown in such a positive way.

(Message edited by thejesus on November 07, 2007)

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2456
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

but for anyone with the means to donate in a way that can have such a positive impact on other peoples' lives.

I dare say that everybody has the means to donate something to make a positive impact on other peoples' lives.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10699
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point made but I agree with tj. People tend to hear about athletes in trouble with the law, with the team, league, etc.

Braylon should be seen as an example for players in professional sports, not the excpetion.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2645
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aw, no love for Mr. Edwards on DY I guess...

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3942
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Braylon is awesome. Quickly, he's becoming one of the NFL's top wide receivers, LIVING UP to his first-round billing, unlike the Charles Rogers and Mike Williams of the world.

TJ, Those are great examples of his concern for others.

Absent from that list is any remittance back to his hometown (graduated from MLKJr HS). Now, I'm sure he has donated something-- we'll have to look it up. Here's hoping that he can do something big for his school, perhaps, or students in Detroit in general.

Having said that, just watching him play football makes me proud that he's from Detroit.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2646
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^hmmm...wikipedia lists his high school as Bishop Gallagher in Harper Woods

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

met his dad in the seventies ...Stanley

great kid...doesn't surprise me...his father was an awesome player in the day...

Thejesus

Post Number: 2647
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah...here's something else he's doing..."Helmets for High Schools"

this article also says he played in the Detroit public school system...I guess he might have moved around while he was in school

http://www.nflhs.com/news/play ersspotlight/braylonedwards_02 082006_lcb.asp

Brian_fitzcarraldo
Username: Brian_fitzcarraldo

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Braylon is fantastic. When Mike Hart hits the NFL, watch for him to be another great role model. This NYT story should give you a pretty good idea of his character and why he's the most loved U-M athlete in recent memory:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11 /03/sports/ncaafootball/03hart .html?em&ex=1194411600&en=2453 b2abb8863207&ei=5087%0A

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3943
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Brian, and good link.

http://www.nfl.com/players/bra ylonedwards/profile?id=EDW1275 48
Braylon attended both of the aforementioned high schools. I believe he graduated from the now-defunct Catholic school.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3052
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and who was and could've become
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11 /08/sports/othersports/08runne r.html?pagewanted=1&hp

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 614
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought he went to Renaissance, who knows.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1922
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He graduated from Bishop Gallagher HS.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course he is a good guy, he is a member of the greatest fraternity, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. FA '06

Blue Phi Bro. Edwards.

My frat recently honored he and his foundation for their efforts in Michigan and Ohio.

http://www.blackgreeknetwork.c om/blog/_archives/2007/7/23

He is in the white and yours truly is on the left :-D

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 615
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Browns web site says first three years of high school he played varsity at King and his senior season at BGH.
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com /team/player.php?id=407

(Message edited by Urbanoutdoors on November 07, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.