Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Everyone in Berkley and Ferndale is going to H... » Archive through November 07, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3385
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, i'm sure there are SOME out there who believe that. congrats to Berkley for voting no on the nativity, congrats to ferndale on the mayoral elections

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What were the differences in Covey and Gagne's platforms? I live in Ferndale and kept trying to find out, but to no avail. Anyone know?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1981
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More specifically, what are you applauding?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9907
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a guess but maybe council nixed the idea of a Nativity scene at city hall? Yeah way to applaud a Christian theme in a Christian country.
"Get your season tree here! Get your holiday wreath here"...Christmas is Christmas regardless of what PC spin is put on it.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3409
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gagne's platform was essentially that he felt too much attention is paid to downtown, and not enough to the neighborhoods or the Hilton and Livernois businesses. He was also running on the platform that haircuts are for losers.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3410
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The council of Berkeley had resolved the issue of the Nativity by voting it be displayed at a local church. Then some fanatical residents with the help of special interest groups decided that wasn't good enough and tried to demand it be put on display at city hall. The ACLU threatened to get involved, and suddenly the issue started to get out of the control of the people who's business it actually is, Berkeley residents. In the end, the residents had their say. Even local religious leaders didn't want the Nativity forced onto city hall property, because the scene would have had to include secular icons as well, and they didn't think Santa needed to be hanging out by the manger.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2997
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yeah way to applaud a Christian theme in a Christian country.
"Get your season tree here! Get your holiday wreath here"...Christmas is Christmas regardless of what PC spin is put on it.

It is not about "PC", it is about the Constitution.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 727
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Santa was delivering gifts. He was busy that year, too.

Goat

Post Number: 9910
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The same constitution that uses GOD on their money? The same constition that has "the right to have guns" manipulated?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3411
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The people have spoken, the Council's previous decision was upheld. There need not be further discussion, especially from those who aren't even residents of said city. The forcing of religion onto city property by a vocal minority failed. Lick you wounds, and enjoy the Nativity in front of the church down the street.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 718
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Yeah way to applaud a Christian theme in a Christian country."

Goat, your Canadian-ness is showing. The U.S. has never been a "Christian" country. At most, the U.S. is a country where a majority of he citizens profess to be Christians. That's it. The U.S. is a country officially indifferent to religion - a citizen can have any religion they want, or no religion, if that is their choice. The government exists to deliver the services that the citizens require from it, not to promote religion.

True, many religious fanatics, like Dobson, Falwell, Robertson, Bush, et al, have tried to promote revisionist history and convince us that the our country was founded as a Christian nation - so far, they are not convincing many people.

So, to your assertion - never has been, never will be.

Pam

Post Number: 2998
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The same constitution that uses GOD on their money?

Actually that is also unconstitutional and should be overturned.

http://www.petitiononline.com/ igwtrfc/petition.html

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 887
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know the Constitution even USED Money!
Amazing what I learn on this Forum, sometimes.

btw, I agree with Alan55.... those are all things this country are "supposed" to be, but the people he named would love to turn this country into the Christian power that the Europeans left in the 1700-1900's!
What I find disgusting is that the US is closer to that type of situation than Europe is, today. The whole reason why many European-american ancestors came over here to begin with. The Europeans have really gone out of their way to separate the Church from Govt... even more than the US has, but it seems that the US is going more backwards than forwards, these days.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2097
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The people have spoken, the Council's previous decision was upheld. There need not be further discussion, especially from those who aren't even residents of said city.

I dunno, local referendums still have to adhere to state and federal law...

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 310
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

http://www.petitiononline.com/ igwtrfc/petition.html

925 signatures, eh? Looks like you guys are getting
real far with that.

Pam

Post Number: 2999
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

925 signatures, eh? Looks like you guys are getting real far with that

You guys? I don't know the people behind it. I found it through google. Just an example of the school of thought that god does not belong on money.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3414
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally I am not offended one way or the other. Star of David, Cross, Crescent, Nativity, none of it bothers me. However, when the citizenry comes out to vote on what they want or don't want in front of the building they pay for, as well as paying the salaries of everybody inside of it, they must be listened to. In America, Democracy comes first.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10687
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yeah way to applaud a Christian theme in a Christian country.

The church can support a Christian theme. The church was willing to do it and the city preferred it that way.

Additionally, I believe the language of the referndum stated that it 'required' the scene to be at city hall.

Sorry but government is no place for your religion or anyone else's. I'm not too sure why so many Christians have a hard time understanding that.

What would you think if the bill stated that it 'required' sysmbols for all religious holidays for all religions that are represented by a citizen in the city. Would you support displays for jewish holidays, islamic holidays, wiccan holidays, etc, etc?

I love the fact that this was shot down.

Jt1

Post Number: 10688
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS - Here is the actual verbage used:

"Amend the charter to require a Christmas holiday display that includes a nativity scene?"

They probably lost a fair amount of support using the word "require" as well they should of lost support due to that.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6373
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thankful this bill was voted down by its residents as well. I know that this country was founded on Judeo Christian beliefs but people have often forgotten why those people came here to begin with- they wanted to escape religious oppression.

And somone correct me here but even if the bill had passed, the Nativity scene would've included all sorts of OTHER icons (such as the Star of David, candy canes, etc.), nearly making it some sort of watered down, scatter shot nativity scene, right?

Goat

Post Number: 9911
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitduo, never said it did (how could it?) But for those who hold up the constitution with regards to religion should know better...

Johnlodge, I agree. What is done is done it was voted on which I believe to the best most fair way on this topic. At least the church still has the ability to display the Nativity.

JT1, AS stated at least the church was able to to stil display the Nativity. The issue I have over stuff like this is the Christmas is just that, Christmas. It doesn't matter how we change it or what we try to call it instead it is still Christmas to the vast majority.
As for other religions being allowed to have their holidays shown at city hall...all the better.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3415
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct Smogboy. Santa Claus would have been hanging out with the wise men, and Donald Duck in a christmas suit would have come bearing gifts for the newborn king. Church leaders in the area said it would be better off in front of the church, where it could be seen and enjoyed as it should be.

Some people are not happy unless they are forcing their beliefs on others. The church is down the street. This was obviously NOT about being able to see the nativity. It is still the city's nativity, it is just down the street. No, this was about forcing religion on a population that has clearly stated it doesn't want that.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6375
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the clarification there, Johnlodge. I thought I had heard that rumor that it was going to be more Heidelberg Project than true Nativity scene.

Pam

Post Number: 3000
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

At least the church still has the ability to display the Nativity.

JT1, AS stated at least the church was able to to stil display the Nativity. The issue I have over stuff like this is the Christmas is just that, Christmas

When was the right of a church to have a nativity ever in dispute? BTW, Christmas has a lot of pagan elements in it. (Trees, candles, lights, being held near the solstice etc.)

Jt1

Post Number: 10689
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I fully support churches displaying whatever they want on their property. That goes for all churches. I just do not support a government entity being forced to recognize a specific reilgion.

quote:

As for other religions being allowed to have their holidays shown at city hall...all the better.

Goat - I respect that opinion. If only most in the US thought that way. We know the uproar that would be caused if anything beyong christian and jewish symbols were displayed. I think that your open-minded views of other religions clouds the fact that most don't see things in the same manner as you.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6377
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As for other religions being allowed to have their holidays shown at city hall...all the better."

I think part of the issue here also would've been that the City of Berkley would've also had to maintain all of them as well during the holiday season. What if it wasn't just the Christian & Jewish faiths that wanted to display there? What would the city folk think about Satan worshipers or some other religons wanting to impart their icons on city property? Would they be so open minded then to allow these "other religons" as well?

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 4862
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose we should also get rid of the Christmas national holiday altogether. I am sure the UAW folks wouldn't mind working on Christmas.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3416
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nonsense, pot-stirring rhetoric.

Jt1

Post Number: 10691
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I suppose we should also get rid of the Christmas national holiday altogether. I am sure the UAW folks wouldn't mind working on Christmas.

Fine by me. What are your thoughts on those from other religions not having their holidays national days off.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3159
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the good citizens of Berkley voted on this matter, why are we still arguing it? Unless we live in Berkley?