Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Would you support a Toll Road » Archive through October 26, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3570
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Michigan prides itself on its free roads and expressways. No way in hell would I pay a toll out here... what are we, New Jersey? I don't think so.

Yup, it's great to have busted-up roads to be proud of.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9893
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toll roads are a joke. Why the fuck do we pay gas taxes and the other hundreds of taxes that are stolen from us? If the gov't can't afford to upkeep the roads they have then they don't have any business (nor does anyone else) building more.
With all of the whiners screaming about global warming, you would think sprawl would be the #1 target. But I guess the whiners need to get home quickly to watch Desperate Housewives or some other crappy tv show.

edited for typo.

(Message edited by GOAT on October 26, 2007)

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 486
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No way Jose. Just another way to slow things down.
Ever hit that toll booth outside of Chicago?
Backups sometimes take forever.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 4364
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they ever did a toll, it should have some bypasses that use electronic sensors to avoid stopping at the toll booth.

Iaintgotnostyle
Username: Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see most of you say NO to a toll road.

And you wonder why the state is falling apart?

Maybe Detroit and Michigan should just support all of you until your dying day and then some.

Ive never seen so many spoiled ass brats as I have in this city and state.

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iaint: hit the nail on the head!

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The state's falling apart because I do not wanna pay yet another tax that gov't will eventually claim is not enough and that they will just piss away like they have with most of the other "revenue" they've collected from me?

Don't think so....

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 559
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To what end? What would the purpose be? Possibly better upkeep?

The larger problem is that we don't regulate commercial truck weights.

Speaking of NJ and driving...they're the only "civilized" state that by law requires all gas station to be full service. I do support the return of full-serve gas stations.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2000
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of NJ and driving...they're the only "civilized" state that by law requires all gas station to be full service. I do support the return of full-serve gas stations.

They also routinely have among the lowest gas prices in the country.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The attempt to turn a freeway to a toll road is being tried in Pennsylvania. I, order to solve a state budget crisis, the state legislature voted to toll I-80, which is used by many out of staters. They then included the toll revenue in the state budget.
There have been strong objections, and the whole plan is questionable . There is an attempt in Congress to block this, even if the Dept of Transportation approves it, as it must to implement.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2001
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The attempt to turn a freeway to a toll road is being tried in Pennsylvania. I, order to solve a state budget crisis, the state legislature voted to toll I-80, which is used by many out of staters. They then included the toll revenue in the state budget.

Is it? Dammit!

I always found it funny that it wasn't already a toll road. It's the primary link between the upper midwest and NYC, NJ and New England.

Transitrider
Username: Transitrider

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat: "If the gov't can't afford to upkeep the roads they have they don't have any business (nor does anyone else) building more. "

Agreed.

Danindc

Post Number: 3573
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yet when Gov. Jenny tried that approach, she got her balls busted all over the place.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I think all freeways should be privatized toll roads. There should be no taxes, everything should be privatized. You use it, you pay for it. You don't pay for it, you don't use it. Life would be simple.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 293
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no because then I'd have to learn how to say "expressway" instead of "freeway" :-)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5573
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iaintgotnostyle is showing a total lack of logical debating skills by giving us a "group ad hominem attack" on this thread.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 611
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

toll roads are sweet. it's the only way, aside from gas taxes, to insure that those who USE the roads are the ones who PAY for them... i bike and walk. i don't want to be paying for all these roads. screw them. bring me transit and i'll pay for that with my dollahs.

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh please, Debate what? The fact that %95 of our states population is spoiled?

Why is it that every damn citizen of this state feels everything including public services to healthcare to outrageous union benefits are their right and not a frickin privlage ?

Get a grip and grow up.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3053
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We already pay tolls, they're called fuel taxes.

HOV lanes are problematic at best, and should be avoided.

What we need is Levin and Stabenow to get off of their sorry behinds and steer 100% of our federal fuel taxes back into Michigan (if not more to make up for past years) so that we are no longer a donor state.

Gistok

Post Number: 5577
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ This coming from a noob who thinks that "bleeding heart liberals" are responsible for the fact that America is almost universally disliked worldwide... :-)

LOL... apparently someone was asleep during the "liberal" administration of the last 7 years.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That toll-road conversion in the news is actually more problematic. It's a privatization of a government toll road.

The standard rules apply:

That which is profitable must eventually be handed over to unaccountable private interests.

That which the elite desire but requires subsidy is put in unaccountable private hands and then funded generously.

Those things that are dangerous, destructive and expensive (nuclear power, passenger rail, the military) belong to the public.

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, keep with your old mindset while the state sinks and you along with it.
Some of us (a few) are smart enough to realize what the problems are.

See you in the soup line, I wont be there, Ill just wave to you as I shake my head passing you by knowing the downfall of Michigan could have been prevented by a few simple things like taxes and tolls.

And Gistok, your pretty funny. I guess you weren;'t around when your Clinton Gods made a mockery of the White House ,this nation and made us look like complete idiots when they let Bin Laden go 3 times all the while he blew up our interests all over the world.
Yup, guess Bush let 9/11 happen, not the Clintons. But you believe on in your small mind what you will.

oh , a noob? That's so second grader . Grow the hell up

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^To clarify: Iantgotnostyle is correct in calling Michiganders spoiled (let me add selfish and short-sighted), but that's as far as my agreement goes!

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

join the crowd Oliver. you guys are so elementary its not even funny.

Gistok

Post Number: 5579
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iaint... if you don't like Michigan... go somewhere else...

And as for 2nd grade... intelligent people know that "ad hominem" attacks have no place in an adult discussion group. And yet your posts are littered with them.

Iaint... you really do have no style... Oliverdouglas was agreeing with you, and yet you still attack those who agree... how petty...

Also, I must have been out of town on the day that Clinton let Bin Laden go free... must not have heard "Rush <<the Pharmacist>> Limbaugh" or read the trailer park tabloids that day...

(Message edited by Gistok on October 26, 2007)

Danindc

Post Number: 3575
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

if you don't like Michigan... go somewhere else...

Plenty of folks are. Whenever the local media dares to mention it, though, you bet your ass there's a 200-post thread on this site of people whining and bitching along the lines of, "How could Comerica executives DARE to leave Michigan?"

I'd sure as hell like to know where the free lunches are given out.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 328
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd pay for a toll road if it actually was quicker.

I'd be worried that we would sell I-94 or I-75 for pennies on the dollar and would end up providing some subsidy of one form or another.

Practically, I doubt it could be accomplished in the metro area given the number of on/off-ramps we have.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed people in Michigan seem to be happy to say "We like it here, if you don't, don't let the door hit ya" rather than figuring out what the problem is, and whether it needs to be fixed.

For example, the fairly progressive mayor of Ferndale left for Chicagoland when he finally grew tired of bumping into brick walls.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That said, I-69 could make a good toll road. Lots of through traffic, doesn't enter any major cities, traffic is light enough to not require open-road tolling technology, at least immediately.

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

awwwww Gistok, did I rattle your feathers?

I'm sorry you don' tlike my views nor my approach to them.

If you don;'t like them dont comment on them.

As far as me leaving Michigan, well, If the people's attitudes don't change soon my friend then you and I both will have no other choice but to leave eventually.

Its this "Everyone owes me " attitude that got us where the hell we are today.

But hey, if you want to blindly go forward, knock yourself out.

Im looking towards my homes future and that doesn;t have room for any god damn freeloaders.