Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Mishkan Yisroel « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today was my annual Tour of Detroit. I should have checked this site before hitting the road, next year I certainly will.
Congregation Mishkan Yisroel holds immense memories for me. My grandfather was president of this congregation for 25 years and this is where I remember attending my first religious services. The posted slideshow of building totally blew me out of the water. It is personally devestating to see such a beautiful place totally destroyed and abandoned.
For many years, Israel has been my home. It is the home of dig and restore, dig and restore. Tel Aviv is the world capital of Bauhaus design and of the 6,000+ Bauhaus structures within Tel Aviv, all are protected and many are being restored. My daughter who has never been to the states before was in a total shock at the condition of Detroit and Highland Park. She said that even Gaza is in better mcondition than some of what we saw today. Today was a sad day.
Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6776
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha_asfan,

When Miskan Yisroel went abandoned, many former Jewish congregational members shed their tears that their once beautiful building is now a total wreck. This is one of the price we all pay if we don't take care our Detroit communities. The organized Jewish communities of Detroit has move away to the promised land of Oakland County and they not coming back to Detroit to resettle any time soon.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.