Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Ghost towns in Michigan « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 260
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any GOOD ghost towns
and by good I mean many structures and well you know. Not like a town that has 1 building. In other words any one worth seeing.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 800
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember visiting a ghost town in the UP as achild. It was more of a museum-ized place, but certainly interesting.

as for empty-area ghost towns, the UP is spotted with the, especially in the western end.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a wonderful book, "Michigan Ghost Towns of the Lower Peninsula" by Roy L. Dodge written in 1970.

Around Detroit I can think of several that are one- or two-building towns and remnant of railroad grade, but none bigger. Emory, Rushton, Leland, Worden come to mind.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the ghost town in the UP is called Fayette or Fayetteville. I believe they still have tours. Do a google

Detroitstar

Post Number: 801
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Stotter, that is it!

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are some ghost towns in the lower peninsula. The first one which comes to mind is east of the city of St. Helen along the railroad right-of-way. There is little left there other than remnants of some foundations. There is a cemetary with some tombstones still visible.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 374
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

North Manitou Island has a ghost town on it. Full houses and shops and all. It's rather odd.

Stryker81
Username: Stryker81

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some parts of Detroit remind me of a ghost town.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dodge's books are presently sold as "Michigan Ghost Towns- Lower Peninsula" and "Michigan Ghost Towns- Upper Peninsula."

Back in 1994, I looked at Allendale (or was it Allenville?) in the U.P., a little ways NE of St. Ignace. There was an ancient wooden 2-story building that still had the letters "U.S. POST OFFICE" in the window.

Also, Larry Wakefield has written several Michigan ghost town books.

Burnsie

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan's climate isn't nearly as conducive as out West is for preserving abandoned ghost town buildings.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 447
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fayette is a State Park. Not necessarily a ghost town, but an abandoned iron smelting town that was been historically renovated and rebuilt to its original state. Quite fascinating, actually.

Mthouston
Username: Mthouston

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a look at this web site
http://www.ghosttowns.com/stat es/mi/mi.html

Burnsie

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most if not all the buildings at Fayette are completely original, in their original locations. Unfortunately there isn't much money for any kind of interpretive staff, or to fix certain areas on the buildings that need work.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 802
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! I think I just picked up a new hobby!

Ive been all over the state of Michigan, and some of the smallest towns, but that link above has me wanting to explore the lost parts of our great state.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 254
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stinger, please tell me more about the ghost town east of St. Helen. I have family and friends there and have always wondered where that road went. I assumed it would end in West Branch. Sounds like a road trip!

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really good site ya found. I just spent like an hour going through it.

Dds

Post Number: 449
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie: When is the last time you have been there? Two months ago compared to the first time I was there in 1993 and also in 2000 have seen drastic changes in the buildings, including the rebuilding of workers cabins which were never there before my most recent visit in August. Much of the smelter and furnace which was in shambles in '93 has been rebuilt.

Most of the original buildings have been renovated and made safe for walking tours in the past ten years, also.

Guided tours are available, and although may not be "interpretive" in the truest sense of the word, are extremely informational, nonetheless.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3945
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's Fayette, which is in a really great natural area, too.

There's also Blaney Park, just north of the US2/M77 intersection in the southern UP. ...except that it's now being re-habbed.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I really like this site. It has a pretty good list of ghost towns in any state.
http://www.ghosttowns.com/stat es/mi/mi.html

Michigan pales in comparison to some of these towns in southern ohio and in western pennsylvania. It's a good site though. I saw mthouston posted the link too, but just incase you didn't see.

Stinger4me

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yaktown; The road eventually ends up on the outskirts of W. Branch. I worked in the area and the name of the town east of F-97 was Beaver Lake. The cemetery is south of the RR right-of-way. Back in the day there were a couple of hotels and associated buildings that went along with it. The RR(NYC or MC) shipped blueberries from the area. The cemetery should be pretty easy to find. I will dig out some maps and get some distances and sections numbers for you. Hope that helps.

Stinger4me

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yaktown; the ghost town of Beaver Lake is situated just inside of Ogemaw County, T23N, R1E, Sect. 31. The trail road heads almost SE'rly. You will come upon a north-south trail road. Head south on it. Park anywhere you can so you don't block the trail and look around. Have fun and enjoy! The cemetery is on the west side of the trail road.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 393
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Detroit was still humming there were parts of the Old Redford (Grand River) area that were pretty creepy and looked out of place in the grid-based City. Unfortunately, the wave of abandonment and general abuse of personal property has overwhelmed Old Redford, too, and what once struck me as latently sinister now looks like everything else.

Slider
Username: Slider

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a ghost town of sorts in the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore on the Lelenau Peninsula. It is called Port Oneida. It was a farming community that had essentially dissolved by the 1920's due to less than favorable soils. It is in fact the only preserved intact turn of the century agrerian community in the U.S. The buildings are maintained by the National Park Service, but only to stabilize them. Most are vacant and boarded. It's one of the few places you can explore the exteriors without trespassing since it's a national park.

Make sure to take the hike up pyramid point while you're there. It is one of the most beautiful views you will ever see and one of my favorite places in the world.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed big changes at Fayette over the past five years we've been camping there during the summer, it is a great ghost town experience, and one of the best camping experience in MI.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 303
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While this thread has nothing to do with Detroit; it is near & dear to me.

I worked eight years as a traveling sales representative for Brown and Williamson Tobacco; I would make regular calls on just about every store in every town, throughout south central Michigan.

I hereby nominate the following communities to the list of Ghost Towns - or those soon to be:

Addison
Bankers
Bellevue
Burr Oak
Burlington
Cambria
Cement City
Girard
Kalamo
Kinderhook
Liberty
Montgomery
Mosherville
Nashville
Onondaga
Osseo
Ransom
Rives Junction
Sherwood

I sure do miss these old towns; it's been more than twelve years since I last visited them - hopefully they all continue to survive.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 264
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha Cement City. my family still jokes about that place after stumbling across it years ago. All we can remember was the Rottweiler chained to the bed of a pickup truck.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fayette...has an awesome vista...and a deep port...my parents had a place near it and we traveled to it many summers...in the fall it is especially beautiful...the docks would be great for sailboats to harbor there...I would bet there could some good diving around the inlet...

worth the trip as one tools around the UP...go Wildcats...

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During the 80's, my single's group had an all-day visit to an abandoned ski-resort south of Holland MI. It was/is hidden amongst grown trees but the lodge was still structurally intact. It had a definite 70's decor. The windows were smashed and the inside trashed but the lifts were still there. I wasn't able to see where it went or what "mountain" was the main ski area. It was already abandoned back then for at least 10 years.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding Fayette: Michigan Historical Magazine published a booklet on the town in 2000. It's out of print, but available at a few libraries.

Title: Fayette Historic Townsite.
Edition: 2nd ed.
Publication info: [Lansing, Mich.] : Michigan Historical Magazine, c2000.
Physical descrip: 48 p. : col. ill., map ; 23 cm.
General Note: "MHM-57 (7/2000)."
Held by: PONTIAC SALEMSLYON
ISBN: 0935719709
Local system #: (Sirsi) AFN-1536

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.ghosttowns.com/stat es/mi/mandan.html

Mandaan is a personal favorite of mine.
A little hard to find, but cool and somewhat "Blair Witch" creepy in the evening hours.

Dds

Post Number: 453
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Cement City

Good to know Grindstone City is still alive and well.

Slider
Username: Slider

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From ghosttowns.com
"Gay is being re-inhabited and some of the older houses have been "re-habbed."In view of its name, the town tavern, with the obvious name of Gay Bar, attracts the curious."

Well that does it, I guess I am going to have to go exploring up there, if nothing else to get a picture of "gay bar." Priceless.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 312
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grindstone City will survive just because of Lake Huron and spillover from Port Austin.

Lum? We used that as a slur in college!

Cement City gets busy on NASCAR days.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds like it was a fun town back in the day.

http://www.ghosttowns.com/stat es/mi/whorescorner.html

I wonder what their main industry was.

lol

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there a town called Disco around the Van Dyke/ 26-Mile area? I recall seeing it on maps several years ago. I don't know if you'd call it a ghost town. Maybe it was absorbed by one of the larger surrounding towns or townships?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3762
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I remember Disco from the 70s (the town, not the dancing). Google Earth still finds it at Van Dyke and 24 Mile Road. I think there's quite a bit of development going on around there now.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 123
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no sign of the town except for some older houses on 24 mi. west of Van Dyke. These are boarded up and will be demolished soon.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 729
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Disco" was derived as a contraction of "District of Columbia".

Disco, the unincorporated village of Mount Vernon (near Stoney Creek Metropark) and Washington township were so named due to the hero-worship of George Washington in the 1820's and 30's.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

32 Mile and Rochester Rd.
Nothing there except a Bank, two gas stations and a
small store - yet in online maps it states this intersection as Campbells Corners. WTF?

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cities like Flint, Saginaw and many parts of Detroit could be or on their way to becoming ghost towns.

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I went to Michigan Tech in the early 70's the Keweenaw Peninsula was dotted with abandoned or nearly abandoned settlements. All were related to the copper mining industry as either mining sites, stamp mills, or smelters. I spent many enjoyable hours trekking down old rail lines and two-tracks, looking for the remnants of the Copper Country's glory days.

Mandan was a good location in those days. It had several empty houses and a dump full of old pottery and other household items. I came away from there one weekend with 2 ceramic electrical insulators and a blue spatter enameled frypan, all of which became useful items in my spartan household.

Gay was always a good Saturday trip. The old stamp mill there had been huge, and though it had been dismantled in the 30's the foundations and smokestack remained at the edge of a vast expanse of black stamp sand. Climbing around in the ruins made us thirsty, so we often concluded our day at the Gay Bar. Don't let the name fool you. The place was decorated top to bottom with guns. They didn't like the college kids too much as they blamed us for the frequent theft of their wooden sign out on the main road, but served us cordially anyway. We used to always laugh at the sign over the door that said "Next time bring your wife".

Another great spot and easily explored is Central Mine north of Calumet. Many houses remained occupied during my college days. The mine manager's house was preserved, as was the church, and there is a reunion there every July of descendants of the original miners. They hold a church service and sometimes baptisms and weddings. Very interesting place.

I haven't been back up there since '89. Sounds like a good summer motorcycle trip.....

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 576
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, A town name disco, eh? I'm guessing there was a town called Techno during the 80s.

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there are lots of places around that a 100 years ago were small farm or lumbering villages with post offices that basically just fell from so few people and other places offering more of what people needed. At 25 mile and Romeo Plank road and Garfield rd there is what used to be a old fashioned store with all the penny candy and stuff, now it is a party store I think. there was a one room school across the street. Used to be on the state maps as Macomb.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damon is a ghost town in the Huron National Forest, S of the AuSable and W of M-33.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6790
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is ghost town called Narma, MI. Located in the U.P. it was one of the thriving lumber and mining towns back in the mid 1800s.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 535
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flint?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.