Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Bills tackle insurance rates in city « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2112
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, at least they are attempting to do something about those ridiculous insurance rates in the city.

quote:

Motorists paying Detroit's high auto insurance rates may get a break from two bills up for a vote today before the House Committee on Insurance in Lansing.

Several Detroit lawmakers are pushing for passage of the bills in hopes of taking them to the Senate floor. One bill, House Bill 5250, is designed to eliminate insurance companies' ability to base premiums on drivers' ZIP codes or credit ratings. The other, House Bill 4702, would give drivers the option to forgo required unlimited medical care coverage and rely on their health insurance to foot medical bills.

The 17-member committee is stalled on the ZIP code bill, with seven members in favor and nine votes needed to pass; the medical care bill will be presented today for the first time.

"We've hit a roadblock," said Rep. Virgil Smith, D-Detroit, president of the committee. "But we hope that by getting the issue out there, it'll change."

The ZIP code bill was created in July to put territorial rating back into place, which would set rates by county rather than ZIP code. The second bill was set up in April to take costs, like unlimited medical care, out of the system.

Michiganians, on average, pay $1,089 every six months on premiums while the rest of the nation pays $949, according to Angie Rinock, a spokeswoman for State Farm Insurance Agency. But Detroiters have much higher rates.

For instance, a 35-year-old Ferndale woman who drives a 2000 Oldsmobile would pay $1,216 a year for auto insurance. A Detroit woman of the same age who drives the same car would spend $3,216, said Rep. Gabe Leland, D-Detroit.

"People in urban areas are getting robbed," he said.

Rinock said insurers want to lower premiums, but can't because of the way Michigan's insurance laws are structured.

"People in Michigan get unlimited medical care if they get in an accident," she said. "No other state even comes close."

Read the rest here: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20077110803 54

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10706
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

House Bill 5250 has no chance. While this will even out the inequality of insurance rates it will be voted on pretty much older, urban areas against everyone else. No chance of it passing since most will see a vote to support this as a vote to increase their constituents rates.

House Bill 4702 should pass by a huge margin since it is just common sense but common sense and Lansing seem to miss each other a lot these days.

I am curious by the info about the guy with esurance. I have esurance (2 cars, 2 drivers, no points or violataions) and I pay less then 200 per month. While rates are unfairly high in the city people need to adjust by raising deductibles much higher and take advantage of every option to lower rates.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 450
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"People in urban areas are getting robbed," he said.

That about says it all, wouldn't you think?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2113
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

House Bill 5250 has no chance. While this will even out the inequality of insurance rates it will be voted on pretty much older, urban areas against everyone else. No chance of it passing since most will see a vote to support this as a vote to increase their constituents rates.

Yeah, I know. But you can't say that they didn't try...

Jt1

Post Number: 10708
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yeah, I know. But you can't say that they didn't try...

I'm happy they are focusing on this issue but I just don't see much hope. If it were to pass I expect that downtown/midtown/Lafayette Park, etc would see a sudden 'boom' in population of people that now list their home as their actual address.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2115
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm happy they are focusing on this issue but I just don't see much hope. If it were to pass I expect that downtown/midtown/Lafayette Park, etc would see a sudden 'boom' in population of people that now list their home as their actual address.

Definitely. It might also do a bit to stem to outflow of the middle class residents from the non-downtown neighborhoods.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1977
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that 4702 sounds like a no-brainer and I hope it passes.

With 5250 I can see both sides of the argument, I'm not sure it's really justifiable. It probably won't pass anyway.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 223
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imagine if 5250 did pass, retailers would see the new demographics and be like "holy shit, where did all the white people come from, let's open up."

Jt1

Post Number: 10718
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Imagine if 5250 did pass, retailers would see the new demographics and be like "holy shit, where did all the white people come from, let's open up."

There would definitely be an demographic shift in wealth and education. I know way too many educated, professionals that 'live' in the suburbs but 'stay' in Detroit.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It'll never happen. The insurance industry lobby is way too powerful for anyone to tell them how to do their business. Especially a bunch of po'folks from the ghetto.

Jt1

Post Number: 10720
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4702 is more changing what we as a state require the insurance companies to cover.

Part of the issue with insurance is the companies but the larger issue is the requirements that the State mandates. Reducing those requirements will lower rates but not affect insurers profits since they will have to pay out less.

Now if only we can drop the Catastrophic Claim charge applied to every policy.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 635
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand how population would suddenly change dramatically by car insurance changing.
Would people suddenly stopped getting their cars stolen, broken into?
Insurance is a probability, statistic, actuarial business. They have to charge someone. Should they charge people in Grand Rapids for what happens in Detroit, or for life Ins., charge someone 20 Y.O. the same as a 70 Year old. Doesn't make sense.

Jt1

Post Number: 10729
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't understand how population would suddenly change dramatically by car insurance changing.

You missed the point. The true population would not change dramatically but there would be an increase in people that live in Detroit but claim an address elsewhere now claiming their real Detroit address. My guess is that anywhere from 25%-35% of people in downtown/midtown list other addresses as their residence for insurance sake.

quote:

Insurance is a probability, statistic, actuarial business. They have to charge someone. Should they charge people in Grand Rapids for what happens in Detroit, or for life Ins., charge someone 20 Y.O. the same as a 70 Year old. Doesn't make sense.

First, until 96 it was by county until the Engler administration and Lansing changed it to zip code. The second bill listed would put it back to 1996 info. It would not be a statewide pool.

Secondly, you can claim that the business is based upon true actuarial data but neither the State nor the insurance companies make that data available. The insurance companies don't even supply the data to the state to be audited. The system is built to allow corruption and bias.

If as you state it is based purely on numbers why do I pay $2400 a year through esurance but was quoted at $11000 a year by AllState and $7000 per year by State Farm?

An industry based solely on numbers would not have discrepancies that large.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2683
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"First, until 96 it was by county until the Engler administration and Lansing changed it to zip code. The second bill listed would put it back to 1996 info. It would not be a statewide pool."

jt1:

Are you saying that H.B. 4702 will price rates by county?

Jt1

Post Number: 10732
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Are you saying that H.B. 4702 will price rates by county?

That's what I said but I put in the wrong bill. 5250 changes how the pricing would be structured and I believe would revert back by county. That is why i don't believe it has any chance to pass.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2686
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see anything in 5250 about it being priced by counties either...but it does contain the section below...is this what you're referring to?

(7) Beginning 1 year after the effective date of this
subsection, if an insurer can demonstrate to the commissioner,
after an opportunity for an evidentiary hearing held pursuant to
the administrative procedures act of 1969, 1969 PA 306, MCL 24.201
to 24.328, that clear and significant financial impairment exists
in the geographic territory or territories in question because of
the need for an additional territorial base rate, or for a greater
variance in the adjacent geographic territory differential
contained in subsection (5)(c), the additional territorial base
rate or a greater variance, or both, shall be permitted for use by
the insurer or a licensed rating organization on behalf of that
insurer, at such time as the need exists. Evidence shall not
include financial impairment resulting from exemptions granted to
other insurers.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2687
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I don't think that's right...5250 basically limits the factors that insurance companies can use to price their rates by the following

(i) Either the age of the driver; the length of driving experience; or the number of years licensed to operate a motor vehicle.
(ii) Driver primacy, based upon the proportionate use of each vehicle insured under the policy by individual drivers insured or to be insured under the policy.
(iii) Average miles driven weekly, annually, or both.
(iv) Type of use, such as business, farm, or pleasure use.
(v) Vehicle characteristics, features, and options, such as engine displacement, ability of vehicle and its equipment to protect passengers from injury and other similar items, including vehicle make and model.
(vi) Daily or weekly commuting mileage.
(vii) Number of cars insured by the insurer or number of licensed operators in the household. However, number of licensed operators shall not be used as an indirect measure of marital status.
(viii) Amount of insurance.

There's really nothing about counties or geographic boundaries except for the opportunity for the insurance companies to demonstrate the need for a rate based on geography at an evidentiary hearing

(Message edited by thejesus on November 09, 2007)

Jt1

Post Number: 10733
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tj - I may be wrong about the county thing. It looks like you have read through it in more detail than I have so I will defer to your interpretation as being correct.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2691
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't read it in detail yet...I just skimmed it after I saw this thread...

But assuming it does become a statewide pool, would that change your opinion of it any?

I see the merits on both sides of the argument but, using the example posted above, it just seems extreme for the people in Grand Rapids or even in places like Marquette to have to pay more due to the amount of auto theft that occurs in Metro Detroit.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3505
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The ZIP code bill was created in July to put territorial rating back into place, which would set rates by county rather than ZIP code."

Seems to me this just means the rates in the rest of Wayne County will go up, and Detroit may see a small drop.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 935
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Would people suddenly stopped getting their cars stolen, broken into?

This statement from Lefty2 is a perfect example of the ignorant mindset that prevents rational discussion of this topic. Any discussion about auto insurance rates in the city is simply dismissed with a comment about car theft, as if it was the only factor in determining insurance premiums.

All this ranting about auto theft in Detroit is just a pretext for the justification of insurance redlining in the city.

In Michigan, there are three types of auto insurance, each offering completely different coverage.

The State of Michigan requires PLPD, sometimes called "no-fault", coverage. PLPD provides coverage for persons injured in an accident, and it also covers property damage resulting from an accident.

PLPD does NOT cover vehicle theft, nor does it cover vehicle damage resulting from an accident.

In addition to the state required PLPD coverage, Michigan drivers can choose to pay for Comprehensive coverage and/or Collision coverage.

Comprehensive coverage insures your vehicle for theft, fire, vandalism, and break-ins.

Collision coverage insures your vehicle for crashes and accidents.
----------------

Due to the fact that the city of Detroit has relatively more auto theft than most of the suburban communities, it makes perfect sense that Detroiters should pay more for Comprehensive (fire and theft) coverage.

Due to the fact that Detroit suburbs have relatively more traffic accidents than the city, (all of top ten most dangerous intersections, with the most traffic accidents, are located in the suburbs) it makes perfect sense that Detroiters should pay less for Collision coverage.
----------------

Detroit city residents don't want special treatment from the insurance companies, we want FAIR treatment from the insurance companies.

We should pay more for comprehensive coverage, but we should also pay less for collision coverage.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 416
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Insurers, like lenders, calculate the risk associated with any given prospective customer based upon a wide range of criteria. These are industries without set criteria other than imperatives to not include factors pertaining to race, religion, etc. Variations are found in the calculations across firms because the inputs might vary and weight given to these will also vary (e.g. is a record of bankruptcy a bad thing or a very bad thing?). So, there's no single formula.

Providers, though, are consistent in their read of the risk in Detroit zip codes because...there's a hell of a lot of risk in Detroit. Gabe Leland (carpet-bagger from Lansing, btw) is right in claiming that insured people in Detroit are being robbed, but it's other Detroiters who are doing the robbing. If a provider could offer rates substantially lower than the "robbery" rates charged by the mainstream and still make money this hypothetical provider would and thereby capture the market. That this hero has not arrived is evidence of the horror of Detroit vs. sleepy little burgs outside of the City.

I've spent some time in this industry and I know that the bad old companies are always twisting the numbers in new ways in order to find price solutions for gaining market. Every consumer has green money and the industry is willing to compete for Detroit's, but they won't play if there's no hope for profit.

Jt1

Post Number: 10747
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig - Here is a question I posed earlier that really questions the integrity of the insurance industry:

quote:

If as you state it is based purely on numbers why do I pay $2400 a year through esurance but was quoted at $11000 a year by AllState and $7000 per year by State Farm?

I have done much digging and the industry and pricing has almost 0 oversight from the state and does not/will not supply their actuarial data to the state or consumers.

No business that refuses to divulge it's acturial data can be defneded as being honest based upon the data.

Craig

Post Number: 417
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JT - I understand the sentiment, but in my professional experience the drive is to find advantage within available data to support lower rates, e.g. statistically fewer high-cost claim history, incidence of lightening strikes, etc. Truthfully, if the "books" were thrown open to the public I doubt that there would be any change in the thinking of the industry. It really is about the money, and this is a competitive industry where a firm cannot play 'company store'/monopolist with pricing and expect to stay in biz.

Why dosn't the industry share its data & logic? Trade secrets. I understand how the "screwed" people of Detroit & other high-rate areas might view this with skepticism, but it really is what I've seen. Formulas are guarded from competitors the way that a card player hides his hand.

Your experience? Possibilities: 1) different cost structures of the providers means that one can offer a lower price while maintaining a profit, 2) one or more providers feel luckier about you than do the others (e.g. no way that THIS guy is going to get robbed...) 3) the bargain supplier missed something frightening about your neighborhood or your personal history (don't laugh - data are only data and some things get fouled up via flawed match algorithms).

Reform? Short of street criminals finding Jesus the fundamental risks of Detroit will not change and so you can look forward to continued high rates. A NFW dream - a benevolent billionaire or church sets up a purely non-profit provider and thereby does not price in order to meet 20% ROI targets. More realistic option - risk calculated via census tract (which may already be in place, anyway).

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Insurance rates in the city are crazy --- crazy to the point that when I was thinking of leasing a new truck I quickly said no way when I realized the insurance would jump from roughly $1,200 a year for my 86 F-150 to about $4,000. Yes, I could register it somewhere else, but that's not right, and if the car would get totalled or stolen, I'd be nailed for fraud an my insurer wouldn't pay. Still, I think there are real reasons Detroiters do pay more for auto insurance _ I think they have more to do with poverty than anything else. I think Detroiters are more quick to file claims (I know this sounds bad, but nearly every time I go to the Family Dollar people in line talk about waiting for their insurance settelement checks); Detroiters are less healthy, as a result, the health care costs are higher after an accident; the streets of Detroit are nuts --- people blow lights, speed, drive like mad men, physically the streets are in bad shape, poor visibility due to down lights, missing street signs etc; and Wayne Coutny juries are generous. And, as other posters said, for Detroit rates to go down, the insurers will have to make money elsewhere by jackiing up rates for other drivers.
I also have to ask this question: If all the insurance companies are red-lining and then one applies the capitalistic principal, why doesn't one company just come in with low-rates and make a killing?

Craig

Post Number: 418
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UrbanP - capitalism/'corporate greed'= guarantors of the best available rates. Very ironic if one considers the depth of the redlinning myth.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.