Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Jay Towers is Back 10-3 on Oldies 104.3 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Designerguy24
Username: Designerguy24

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20077110903 93

Jay Towers is back on the radio YAY!

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Who would of thought he'd end up there?

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

never pictured him on an oldies station...

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this mean no more of his craptastic reporting on Fox2 weekend news?

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 480
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring back Tom Ryan

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 650
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what the hell happened to michelle mccormack, his chubby sidekick with the loud laugh?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1599
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow....I always thought Jay Towers tried to hard to be cool. WOMC is the last place I expected him to end up. Wonder if more changes are in the works.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6416
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No offense to Jay Towers but what does he really bring to the station? And that's not a knock against any talent or ear he might have for the music either- I really think he's going to be handcuffed by the corporate high brow that'll just give him a playlist, have him load the music in, speak very little and just mind the shop.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 277
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll just come right out and say I don't care for the guy. Though to be fair, I was a huge fan of Gregg Henson and was very upset upon his departure on 97.1. I think Gregg had a well-earned reputation of being an ass, but his arrogance and humor really worked well in my opinion.

Jay always seemed like he was out to prove something - whether by dropping names, or mentioning the high-end restaurant he was at again the night before. I didn't care for the tabloid nature of his topics, really.

Gregg and Michelle did the same to some degree, but it was one of the few shows that would literally have me laughing out loud in my cubicle on a daily basis. He and Bill worked well off of each other. Michelle was amusing, but really needed Gregg to be funny. When he was swapped out for Jay, it seemed like she could only fall back on jokes regarding her sex life and weight. It didn't work well anymore.

More on the topic, Jay doesn't seem appropriate for the job simply because he's a guy that tries to be young and hip. That isn't at all what I'd associate with an oldies station. Strange indeed.

I know a lot of people immediately dismiss terrestrial radio for XM/Sirius these days. I have XM, and while it's great for national programming and music, it has absolutely no local flavor. As an aside, if I hear an XM216 traffic report refer to the city of "no-vee" one more time...!

Anyhow, I really miss the days of Drew & Mike (WITH Drew), Gregg, Michelle & Bill during the mid-day, Deminsky & Doyle in the afternoon (especially for the Friday night game) and even Parker & The Man in the evenings (on an FM station that actually is listenable). First they killed WDET, now 97.1 - and people wonder why radio is dying?

Grumble.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 609
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the biggest travesty is NO MORE JAMIE and BRADY and SHEP SHEP SHEP!
WDFN are fools

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 505
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the station is going to change formats. Oldies are kind of, well, old. Not a fan of Jay's either. A little old for gel/spiked up hair don't ya think?

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 196
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are some of us out here who are still listening to the oldies. Have you heard what kind of music is out there today? Even some of the country western is terrible. Sorry, I'll stick to the 40's, 50's and 60's music every time!

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 655
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I deprogrammed 97.1 from my preset list, I can't stand more than 5 minutes of sport breakdown meaningless minutia from a pro jock wannabe.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good post Wazootyman - 97.1 is off my radar, as is the Drew -less Drew and Mike on WRIF. I follow Greggs blog as much as possible for local updates. Corporate radio in this area really sucks. Even Coast to Coast without Art Bell has turned into nothing more than than conspiracy rants. That's IF you can get CKLW at night! What happend there? You used to be able to get that station in Texas on a good night.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 573
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Anyhow, I really miss the days of Drew & Mike (WITH Drew), Gregg, Michelle & Bill during the mid-day, Deminsky & Doyle in the afternoon (especially for the Friday night game) and even Parker & The Man in the evenings (on an FM station that actually is listenable). First they killed WDET, now 97.1 - and people wonder why radio is dying?"

You all aren't listening to the right stations. The ones I listen to continue to get better and better. Now TV is another story (courtesy of Viacom and TimeWarner).

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Drew and Mike BETTER now. More comedy, less sports. Some of us out there don't actually care about sports. Drew turned the show into another sports forum. I sympathize with Drew for the unfortunate events that have resulted in his sabbatical, but at the same time, the show is funny and offers a LOT more variety. I'm actually listening to it again.
As for Towers...he's a familiar name and voice in this area. I'm glad he's keeping a job where he's recognized as opposed to being sent to a different time zone.Those media jobs come and go. I'm always just glad to hear someone has found work in that field.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

97.1 was dead after Stern went to Sirius...

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 307
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pardon my ignorance, but what happened to Drew?
I can't listen to WRIF for love nor money.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1600
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the Freep, Drew took a sabbatical to help his girlfriend overcome breast cancer. On a side note, could Amy Miller take a sabbatical from WDET, that would instantly make it a better station.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071026/ENT 07/710260380/1046

Drew Lane is scheduled to return to the airwaves -- via recording -- sometime during today's "Drew & Mike Show" from 6 to about 10:30 a.m. on WRIF-FM (101.1). Purpose? According to WRIF chief Tom Bender, Lane will give listeners a personal update and shoot down whispers benign and otherwise about his absence -- a personal leave to care for Lane's significant other, Tess Schuster, who has cancer.

Lately, chatter among Detroit radioheads reckoned the leave was a contract positioning ploy or, less kindly, a ruse to cover some conspiratorial acts that make the JFK Single Bullet Theory seem elementary.

Lane has been off the air since mid-September, ostensibly dealing with Schuster's health concerns and helping tend to her sons Evan and Alex. The absence could last two to four more weeks, said Lane's attorney Mike Novak.

Bender and Novak stated flat-out Thursday that Lane's time away is connected to Schuster's condition, and not part of a scheme to shed morning partner Mike Clark and team Lane up with the one-and-only Denny McLain.

The McLain link may have come from someone extrapolating from uber baseball fan Evan landing a job as an intern on the effort to promote McLain's biography, penned with Eli Zaret.

But McLain said Thursday that while he'd be thrilled to work with Lane, he didn't think that would ever happen.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw, i found the sports talk on drew & mike gave the show local flavor, especially when significant detroit sports players and moments were described from the personal experiences of the broadcasters.

but, the interminable references to rectums, pooping, and farting by butt-mike had me flipping the station on a regular basis.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 279
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hpgrmln - Actually, you raise a good point. I think Mike started out a bit rough (he wasn't used to being the front guy), but it has improved. The other Mike and Mark actually fit in pretty well as full-time hosts. I did get tired of the endless sports discussion that Drew would lead at times. But, overall, I still think Drew is a crucial part of the show.

What I really miss is the late 90's Drew & Mike, where the FCC wasn't a big issue, and they'd have a lot more freedom to be funny. In fact, one of the best things about Drew's absence is that they've been playing some of that really old stuff. It's sad how much of it they have to censor now, though.

I started listening to them in 6th grade on the advice of an older friend of mine. That was about 14 years ago. It's weird how radio personalities almost become a small part of your life when you listen to them almost every day.

Detroitrise - Okay, what stations should I be listening to?

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 214
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew Jay when he was in Grand Rapids. Not a great guy, sorry. Then again, that was a long time ago. Funny how a job at an oldies station usually signifies that the last few sands in the career hourglass are running out. Bring back Tom Ryan.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.