Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Looking for office space downtown/midtown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 527
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do any forumers have recommendations for brokers or property managers who might help me identify as much as 40,000 square feet of office space in the downtown or midtown areas?

There is a great deal of attractive (and attractively-priced) space being vacated by Ford in the Dearborn area; similar corporate downsizing and transitions have left much available in the Southfield/Mixing Bowl area. It's a renter's market, for sure.

But I really don't know what might be competitive in the city, and would like some professional help in finding it.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't think of any brokers or property managers off the top of my head, but a possible nice space would be the office space above the old Madison Theater building in Grand Circus Park. It's the four or five-story building adjacent to the Broderick Tower at the corner of Park and Broadway. Stubhub has an office there and an Angelinas(?) restaurant is supposed to be going in the ground floor. I don't know but I would guess they would have plenty of newly refurbished office space there at competitive rates.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 939
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

zephyr, you might want to consult Ray Parker, RFP Associates, 964-5630. He's been around downtown forever and knows what's up. Last I knew, his office was in the Michigan Building.

40k sq feet is a big number for downtown. You probably know all this, but most any building owner is going to make a sweet deal for you. Practically every building in the CBD has that much space available, but not everyone will have it on contiguous floors. (Don't think that any building in CBD has 40K sq. ft floorplates. That much space will be multi-floor.) One Woodward Ave. and Comerica Tower are the Class A options. Guardian and Penobscot are the Class B options.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 805
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so what kind of business is looking for that much space? Can you divulge any specifics? Push them towards downtown, although I'm sure anywhere in the metro area there are good bargains to be found.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Swingline on Ray Parker. He was promoting downtown long before it became fashionable. He'll work hard for you.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2003
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Don't think that any building in CBD has 40K sq. ft floorplates."

Typically modern office floorplates are about 25k SF, regardless of location (CBD or suburban). The size is mainly dependent on when the building was built.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2463
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I agree with Swingline on Ray Parker

And he does a mean "Ghostbusters"...

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 356
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the site below and searched "lease", "Detroit", "40000 sq ft"

up popped the old Gail's Office supply on Fort. neat building, but it has 80000 sq ft

http://www.colliersmn.com/prod/cclod.nsf/city/CCA7552CDCD47A70852571AB006E5FFD?OpenDocument

savoyard center1

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 528
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, all. I will certainly follow up with Ray Parker, and will appreciate any further contributions.

Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to discuss the business right now. I can say it will include mixed office and open space (though downtown's older buildings will have less open space, I know), some IT possible--e.g., raised floor and environmental controls would be nice, but are not a necessity. I suspect that we may be too big to be one of the longer-term, stabilizing tenants that TechTown is looking for

quote:

Don't think that any building in CBD has 40K sq. ft floorplates. That much space will be multi-floor

A multi-floor arrangement is my expectation, though I will value proximity and contiguity between units.

I hear 1001 Woodward may be available ;-)

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 377
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

was just going to suggest 1001 Woodward, prob a great lead

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 969
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

zephyrprocess,
I am not a broker but I have the 40K sf you are looking for in the central business district. Send me an email at downtowndm at gmail.com

Scruffy
Username: Scruffy

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your best bet if you are trying to keep 40,000 square feet on as few floors as possible would be the Chase Tower. The floor plates are in excess of 30,000 per floor. Sterling Group recently purchased the building from Chase and is re-positioning it as a multi-tenant building. Contact Danny Samson at 313-963-1212

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scruffy, why 30k floors? It's not very good having 30k on one floor and 10k on another. It would be much better to rent in a building with 20k floorplates: 20k + 20k.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 405
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fisher Building has quite a bit of space available last I checked.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 480
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mentioned Tech Town. I'm making a daring assumption that that type of environment might be attractive to your business. Just because you don't fit the "design" of business growth, doesn't mean that you may not be discouraged from the area by those who are responsible for Techtown's growth.

I would still check it out even if you don't fit the incubator category. :-)

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 244
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

try the biericompany, they might have good commercial leads for you
http://www.bieri-ames.com/home .asp

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1466
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, that was Silvers. Gail's was down the street in the Penobscot, down the hall from Brooks Brothers.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 179
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My girlfriend works for a brokerage firm that is located in Chicago but does the majority of her work in the Detroit area. She has represented many large tenants in the CBD and Metro Detroit. Her name is Diane Meranski and her phone number is 312-753-7704.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3190
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could sublet the AAA building ...

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 706
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would recommend
Christopher J. Monsour
Associate Broker / Principal
Industrial Division
cmonsour@signatureassociates.c om

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 546
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all!

Thegryphon
Username: Thegryphon

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kennedy Sq. It's new, modern, on Campus Martius, & across from Compuware. I heard about a Bloomfield Associate something something firm moving in so I do not know if there is space available --but it is one of the newest office buildings in the CBD.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 837
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That building is 100% leased. No space available.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.