Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Hockey Game - What to do before? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 274
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking for some advice on where to go prior to the Wings game tonight. As much as I know of downtown, I've spent very little time around Joe Louis, and haven't been to a hockey game since I was a kid.

A friend gave me tickets to the game, and I'd like to take the lady out for a quick dinner and a drink prior. Obviously, I've waited until the last minute to ask, but worst-case we'll just hit up something a little farther from the arena.

What sort of recommendations might you guys have that are within walking distance? Also, is the Cobo roof the best bet for parking on that side of downtown?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1608
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barbecue and drink beer behind your Ford F150 in some parking lot?

Wazootyman

Post Number: 275
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She'd be surprisingly okay with that, as absurd as that'd be on a cold night like tonight.

Short of any other ideas, I guess we'll just head towards Woodward for dinner.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As my first post I'm giving advice from a Toronto suburb. Try the sports bar/restaurant at the Holiday Inn Express. I found it pretty decent and not too crowded. Forgot the name though.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

park up around the fox, take the people mover to the Joe.

or park at greektown and do the same

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 594
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wazoot,

I think that was sarcasm; someone's a little prickly this evening.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 649
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atwater on Jos. Campau below Jeff., good food, good brewskis, free shuttle!

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 319
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Park up behind the Fox, take her to Cliff Bells on Park Ave., and then take the People Mover from Grand Circus to the Joe. Great new bar, short walk to the PM station, and a good way to spend some time before the game.

www.cliffbells.com

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6415
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are numerous bars such as Sinbads, Z's Place, etc. that have shuttles to and from the Joe on game night. Why not go there for dinner & drinks and then ride back with the sea of humanity for more imbibing?

Wazootyman

Post Number: 276
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We ended up at the Anchor Bar, which was exactly what we were looking for. Kind of a 'neighborhood' dive with great bar food, a couple of Molsons, then a short walk to the game.

Oh, and of course the 4-1 victory really topped off the night.

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I'm late, but if you get away from the rink at all, go to the State Bar next to the State Theatre (the sign says it's the Fillmore Theatre, but it's wrong).

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 870
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andrews or Atwater are good bars with a shuttle.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5725
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerrytimes... where have you been? The State Theatre was renamed the Filmore Theatre in early 2007.

LiveNation is leasing the Filmore for live entertainment. They've added several "Filmore" touches to the former State that are reminiscent of the Filmore Theatre in San Francisco and New York City... such as Filmore posters in the inner and outer lobby, Filmore style Chandeliers in the theatre spaces, and their signature large bowl of Granny Smith Apples... complimentary for Filmore patrons.

It's no mistake!

The State Bar still has that name, and the entire 12 story building is still known as the Francis Palms Building.

Willmess01
Username: Willmess01

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn! I was gonna suggest the Anchor.....

Good nachos and good brew. Glad ya had fun.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 372
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, it's still the State, no matter what the marquee says. Sort of like how Pine Knob's marquee has erroneously read "DTE Energy Music Theatre" for the last six years.
I have to admit, though, the apples are a nice idea.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sort of like how Pine Knob's marquee has erroneously read "DTE Energy Music Theatre" for the last six years.

i have a friend who refers to it as the "dte energy knob." i like that name.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3589
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the ski hill still there? Is it called the DTE Energy Hill now?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 374
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ski hill is still there, and it is still called Pine Knob. I'm pretty sure it's owned by different people than the music theatre.

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok. I know that it is the Fillmore, but to me it is and will always be the State Theatre. I don't like the fact that a corporation bought it and renamed it after a popular theatre that had numberous historic shows in the 60's.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 619
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^True, but anything's better than them closing the theatre.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.