Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Coach insignia - revolving restaurant « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so is the coach insignia in the space of the old summit??? i heard the place no longer "rotates", i wonder why not?? too cheezy??? busted up mechanicals??? too expensive to maintain??? any insight??? i always thought it was kinda cool but i guess if you look back on it, it was a cheezy 80's ploy to attract guests.....

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3535
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like one of those things that if it broke once, might get fixed, but if it broke again, f it.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It took one hour for a revolution at the old Summit. I don't think it was cheezy. Still rotating restaurants around i.e. at top of CN tower. I remember reading something about when they moved the kitchen further down for the new restaurant it wasn't going to be practical for it to rotate any more.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Basically, yeah. Cost and practicality. The mechanicals are reportedly still underneath the floor, they just don't have it hooked up.

That_gurl_kat
Username: That_gurl_kat

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I LOVED it! You could take your time, enjoy your dinner and look out across the city, the river, the bridge, etc - a different point of view every minute.
Quite spectacular... hardly cheesy.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the spinning restaurant becomes too confusing after too much chianti.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 192
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

after too much chianti, the restaurant spins itself. no need for mechanicals.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 171
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I remember reading somewhere that that was actually the fastest rotating restaurant in the world.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10745
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owners stated that fixing the mechanicals would have cost over $1MM and would have stopped the project from becoming economically feasible.

Sfds
Username: Sfds

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friends and assorted "out of towners" loved it. On clear days the views were great. Usually went for drinks.

The old line of if you want a good meal don't eat places that move, holds up amazingly well ...rotating restaurants, dinner cruises, dinner trains, air planes, etc.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2010
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I LOVED it! You could take your time, enjoy your dinner and look out across the city, the river, the bridge, etc - a different point of view every minute. Quite spectacular... hardly cheesy."

How about just walk around the circle and look at the views? Much cheaper and easier than rotating the whole damn restaurant!

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

compromise: the restaurant remains stationary, and all the tables are lazy susan's.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goose wrote, "cheezy 80's ploy."

It actually rotated from its opening in 1977.

That_gurl_kat
Username: That_gurl_kat

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wasn't about just being able to see the views Charlottepaul... it was the whole experience whislt dining. We would go for leisurely dinners and drinks and the revolving room added to the experience.
As for your comment about it being cheaper to just walk around - if the pricey menu is an issue for someone, perhaps they should choose a restaurant more in line with their budget.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been there twice, both as Coach. Even without the spinning, it's still a phenomenal view. The way the restaurant is laid out, there's enough open space so that you can easily walk around and look at the view from all sides without getting lost or intruding on other diners.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't it used to slightly jerk from time to time? Or was that the cocktails?

It was great in the old days.
But I often got a kick out of folks in the elevators who HAD to face the doors and wouldn't look out while it was in motion. Same effect, though to a lesser degree for those riding up in the office towers.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

401don,

Did they ramp it up during the Grand Prix? I could have sworn it went around quicker than an hour during the races..

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 871
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always enjoyed watching people move the their table up to the glass only to realize those pillars by the windows were stationary.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 216
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hour my ass, make it every five minutes and I'm there! Seriously, I haven't been there in YEARS. Anyone go lately? How was the food?

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 339
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when it used to rotate and I thought that was cool! The last time I was there was in the Coach era and no more spinning. Kinda boring if you don't sit facing the view you want. I think they made a mistake by disabling it. It was one of the unique features of the place.

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mom took me there for lunch, think it was in "84" when I was going through a rough time to cheer me up. Was late winter/early spring. There were big chunks of ice that hadn't melted yet in the river. Don't remember what I had to eat, but I did enjoy the view as we rotated around.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10781
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think they made a mistake by disabling it

They didn't disable it, they didn't have the money to fix it. Big difference.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Islandman, not sure if you're kidding about the grand prix bit or not. The only time I was there was the year the Ren Cen opened. As an opening special,we got a room for $79 with a $35 Summit dinner voucher included! The waiter told us it was one hour for a full revolution. I still have my souvenir glasses.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 268
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...I also have a souvenir "glass" from the early days. Its shaped like the center tower of the RenCen and, though it originally contained a cocktail, its ceramic rather than glass.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not kidding. When the Grand Prix was downtown I saw the race from the Summit Restaurant a few times. Just thought it went around faster than that, but it was many years ago.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 232
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also have a glass around somewhere from the Summit days. Actually, it's more like a small Ball canning jar. I can't recall what kind of nasty concoction they put in it, but it probably cost an outrageous amount for the time - maybe 5 bucks.

I haven't been to Coach yet, but I agree that spinning at he Summit was cool.

Elevator_fan
Username: Elevator_fan

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another change at Coach: The floor above the arrivals floor used to hold a bar that also revolved, I think. But that floor has been entirely drywalled off. There is no way to tell it was ever even there.

Does anyone know what is up there now? Broadcast equipment for the top of the tower, maybe?

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard Homeland Security occupies the top floor now.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.