Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Toyota donates $2 million for science center theater » Archive through November 09, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3501
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1) You have no actual evidence this is a tax deferment.
2) Not accepting the money would not change a single thing, other than that money that Toyota has budgeted towards PR or community spending would be spend in another city.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3502
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS I always buy American cars, and that isn't going to change, but I will gladly take their money and continue buying American cars.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2132
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^LOL.

Toyota is not the problem. How much money have we pumped into Saudi Arabia? When is the last time you've seen a Saudi Arabian company trying to donate to a museum in Detroit or any other American city?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 540
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This isn't a American vs. Japanese argument, this is Detroit vs. Tokyo."

That's impossible. Detroit can barely compete with New York, let along a city almost 20 times New Yoek's Size.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2133
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:::banging head against desk:::

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2461
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, for once I agree with Iheartthed.

And just for future reference, NYC is about 8 million people and Tokyo is 13m.

That is about 65% larger - which I guess is pretty close to 20x.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 564
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

QUote: "1) You have no actual evidence this is a tax deferment."

Companies make donations in lieu of giving it to the IRS. Standard practice. Why do you think they are asking GM the best place to "throw cash"? Companies don't "throw cash".

Quote: "2) Not accepting the money would not change a single thing, other than that money that Toyota has budgeted "

Same rationale people use when supporting foreign companies with their purchases. The money leaves and never comes back. Well, Enjoy the new blow-molded mastadon or whatever it is they'll buy with that. Oh yeah, thats right, a theatre. And not just any theatre, its the "Toyota engineering theatre" They should've cut some corners and just donated some old Rodan and Mothra props from those blockbusters. They gotta be worth a few mil.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 572
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this is great news and I am glad to see that Toyota is trying to win over the motor city. Like they said many of their parts come from Metro Detroit. They need to keep the people happy.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 565
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "How much money have we pumped into Saudi Arabia?"

The real problem there is how much of it we have borrowed back.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3120
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo, you're really displaying some anachronistic jingoism there, if not out-and-out racism. "Rodan and Mothra props"? Please.

Such attitudes are part of the reason why the Japanese auto industry has passed Detroit.

This is a great gesture by Toyota.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 188
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This isn't a American vs. Japanese argument, this is Detroit vs. Tokyo."

I seem to remember a distinctive date that is coming up in a couple of days....December 7, 1941...Tokyo slithered into Pearl Harbor and killed many Americans. Then for about 4 years, they continued to kill, torture and hold hostage many more American citizens. Many of us have relatives today who still have that image in their heads. Tokyo doesn't have the best interest of America OR Detroit in their minds, only profits, which go right back across the ocean to Tokyo. You folks who continue to purchase foreign automobiles and have tunnel vision regarding Toyota, Honda and all the other foreign brands should rethink your position.

OUT OF A JOB YET? KEEP BUYING FOREIGN.

WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!

(Message edited by Buyamerican on November 09, 2007)

Miesfan
Username: Miesfan

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

QUote: "1) You have no actual evidence this is a tax deferment."

Companies make donations in lieu of giving it to the IRS. Standard practice.

That's the point of the charitable donation tax deduction you twit. There is a societal benefit for corporations and individuals to donate to charitable causes so their income donated isn't taxed. If the tax write-off was their sole motivation for donating to the Science Center it doesn't make their money any less green.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10737
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tax defferment or not, foreign company or not they are giving $2MM to a local institution that is probably not rolling in money.

Whatever Toyotas intentions this is great for the city, great for the Science Center, great for kids and families that go there, etc.

Fury13

Post Number: 3122
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyamerican, your mantra is obsolete. This is not 1957. Gasoline is inching toward $3.50 a gallon, and you live in a global economy.

That may be tough for you to swallow, but the United States doesn't drive the auto industry any more.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3506
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Sstash, Detroit should decline the free $2 million price tag theater? That is your position? I fail to see how that is a better outcome. Somehow that will cause the American auto companies to sell more cars here than Toyota? To me it sounds like the only result would be not getting a $2 million theater. Please tell me the benefits to your idea.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 566
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "the reason why the Japanese auto industry has passed Detroit"

They may be outselling us in some markets only, have they really surpassed us technologically? What proof do you have for this?

Be it known, most of the automotive technology coming out of Asia came from right here. They can do things there we can't afford to do because of labor costs. If the present trend continues, that won't be an issue for us soon.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 451
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I look at it this way. Toyota is just giving some of the money back that GM is paying them to make the prototype seats and supply them with the seats for the new Hummer model coming out.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Toyota!

Buyamerican

Post Number: 189
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"That may be tough for you to swallow, but the United States doesn't drive the auto industry any more."

I hope that you won't have to eat those words some day soon....that would surely be hard to swallow.

Miesfan
Username: Miesfan

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I'm going to go have sushi for lunch, in honor of crypto-Nazis like Sstashmoo and BuyAmerican. I'll make a point of having sushi again on December 7.

Fury13

Post Number: 3126
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...have they really surpassed us technologically?"

I don't know, but my Toyota is well-engineered, well-built, versatile, comfortable, safe, cost only $16K, is inexpensive to insure, AND gets a real-world 35 mpg no matter how I drive it.

I couldn't find an American car that would accomplish all that. So, yes, Toyota is doing something right.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think I'm going to go have sushi for lunch, in honor of crypto-Nazis like Sstashmoo and BuyAmerican. I'll make a point of having sushi again on December 7."

Miesfan, you can kiss my Red, White and Blue behind. You're head is up yours.

Dds

Post Number: 452
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

my Red, White and Blue behind

Holy Crap, Buyamerican, you should see a doctor about that!

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 567
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "I'll make a point of having sushi again on December 7."

What a despicable thing to write.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'll make a point of having sushi again on December 7."

Arguing with a person who would make such a comment is useless. Certain individuals have no loyalties except to themselves. I forgot, it's the "ME" generation.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 554
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Suburbia drives America?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5709
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will gladly visit the new Toyota Technology theatre at the Science Center... and I will continue to buy American brand cars...

Nuff said!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3514
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do buy American, like I said, I can always find an American car I like. But I'll still take their $2 million dollars so I can drive to the new theater in my American car.

Dds

Post Number: 454
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

OUT OF A JOB YET? KEEP BUYING FOREIGN.

If GM doesn't stop buying foreign, why should I?

(see my post regarding GM being supplied by Toyota Boshoku above)

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 568
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "So Sstash, Detroit should decline the free $2 million price tag theater? That is your position?"

Yes, and matter of fact this would be an excellent opportunity for Kwame to regain respect from Detroiters at large. And unify the city by sending a strong message to the rest of the US market and foreign companies who are hurting us that we want as much involvement with them as they want with us. If they were building plants here and providing jobs, that would put a whole different face on this. What is 2 mil anyway? We just spent 8 mil for his trip to the barber shop.

So they build no plants here, provide no jobs, but they will for a paltry sum that would otherwise be tax anyway, associate themselves with us. And the twenty-somethings in the rest of the country are none-the-wiser. Pretty sneaky.