Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Military Takes over Downtown Detroit on Saturday « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Military Veterans Marched and Drove Big Scary vehicles through Detroit's downtown on Saturday:

(slideshow:-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffwiden/sets/72157603063385796/show/
Welcome Back to the Motor City

Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As usual, Detroit did nothing to promote or advertise that this was going to happen, so only if you were by-chance downtown today would you have been able to see and enjoy the hooplah. As for NO WAR protests... only a couple of people with signs. There were about 30 veterans on motorcycles; some really huge military trucks; loads of jeeps - outfitted with machine guns. And there were machine gun sound effects - VERY LOUDLY played... made me want to leap for cover.

My petanque club was playing in Cadillac Square, the Campus Martius Tree was being decorated, and the Mayor was giving speeches...

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 974
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds great and looks like everyone was having fun. Thanks for the pix and story.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 466
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went out for a run and when I got to Grand Circus Park and saw all the army jeep, I thought some homeland security thing was going down. But then noticed all the flags and John Conyers' bus, and realized it was a march.

I too, was a little sad to see that there was virtually no crowd following the gathering.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 6910
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those photos with that Pontiac "billboard" in the background put an ironic smile on my face.

Thanks for sharing.

(Message edited by JamS on November 10, 2007)

Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams: Yeah: "Welcome Back to Detroit"

I wonder, if the Amry-spec Hummers and other military equipment were still being manufactured in Detroit (as it was for WW2) - would the State be in a better economic position?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3064
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Free Press had the march listed in it's Veterans Day activities list and Michigan in Pictures wrote they had received details about it, too.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 537
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CM looks beautiful...

<313>

Kirby
Username: Kirby

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God Bless our GI's (Veterans day is 11-11)

"If you can read, thank your teacher.
If you can read English, thank a Veteran"

Kirby
USAF 66-70

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That M60 MG brings back memories. Mostly bad ones!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5331
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I would have known about it. How is it that a vet would miss something like this...

*frowning*

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1899
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice Dodge WC and M37 trucks!

remember--no politician or lawyer ever gave you your freedom, soldiers did!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.