Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit is second least caffeinated city « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 144
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another blow to our city. I need some coffee, NOW!

http://www.thatsfit.com/2007/1 1/07/chicago-ranked-most-caffe inated-city-in-u-s/

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good, caffeine is terrible for you

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a Starbucks on E. Jefferson near Indian Village hat had a DRIVE THRU... that was a first...

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3976
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As the yuppies and students return, so will coffee shops.

Caffeine is good.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 588
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for the health nuts (which we have), bad for the business crowd (which we need).

Detroitrise

Post Number: 589
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although, looks who else is in the top 5 least caffeinated. So may be us being there isn't so bad. If New York, Philly, and San Francisco is there, then that means caffeine is bad. Besides, I always though of San Francisco as a west coast Detroit anyway. We have so many similarities.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on November 11, 2007)

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 453
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

5 - San Francisco
4 - Philadelphia
3 - New York
2 - Detroit
1 - Baltimore

Not a bad bunch of cities to be with. Better than:

5- Tampa
4 - Miami
3 - Phoenix
2 - Atlanta
1 - Chicago

Detroitrise

Post Number: 590
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I find interesting is that it's the Suburban style cities and hot cities that's the most caffeinated. I guess they need their frappucino to cool them off and that coffee to warm themselves when the temp gets below 50 degrees.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1984
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also interesting that everyone thinks of Seattle as a coffee capital but they're not in the top 5.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2150
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was surprised that New York was so low.

Kinda funny that 4 of the top 5 are warm weather cities while 4 of the bottom 5 are cold weather cities. Those people must consume a lot of caffeine...

Besides, I always though of San Francisco as a west coast Detroit anyway. We have so many similarities.

San Francisco? A west coast Detroit? You must be thinking of LA...

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 462
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Besides, I always though of San Francisco as a west coast Detroit anyway. We have so many similarities.

Tell me you were joking. Please.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 467
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ambassador Bridge - Golden Gate Bridge
Transamerica Pyramid - Comerica Tower

You get the idea!

I wonder, do these studies consider the metro or are they strictly city?

Dds

Post Number: 463
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How could I have overlooked such obvious things!?

So, I guess consuming such little amounts of caffeine makes up for being one of the most obese cities every year?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3772
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure I believe it but I have heard that the reason they drink so much coffee in hot middle-eastern countries is because it causes perspiration which helps cool the skin.

Conversely, I have also heard that caffeine should be avoided in hot climates because it causes dehydration.

So maybe there's some truth in it? <shrug>

Detroitrise

Post Number: 592
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed and Dds, yes, that's how I look at it. before the 1967 riots, we both had similar densities and housing stocks. Rocket City already did other comparison. Not to mention that we can have very similar weather (gray, cool and cloudy).

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

San Francisco has more in common with Ann Arbor than Detroit. It is the place many U of M Ann Arborites find themselves when they need to move on.
I don't know if they like coffee.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2228
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always felt that these people that dream up these "lists" really need to get a life.

Miesfan
Username: Miesfan

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

San Fransisco and Detroit are very, very different places. Case in point, in 1977, San Fransisco elected Harvey Milk, its first openly gay politician, to the Board of Supervisors. Thirty years later I don't believe Detroit voters would elect an openly gay City Councilman. In fact, I think the African-American wing of the American Taliban would do everything in their power to prevent it.

Dds

Post Number: 464
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise:

Thank goodness you convinced me, otherwise I might have gone on thinking the Comerica Tower and Transamerica Pyramid look nothing alike.

comerica.jpg

pyramid.jpg

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3776
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're both pointy.

Morgus the Magnificent once proposed that a Transamerica Pyramid be built in New Orleans -- only retractible -- it could be lowered beneath the city (and the notoriously high water table). Preposterous! :-)

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 6954
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coffee=acquired taste=tastes awful.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10885
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coffee=Gift from the Gods=No Mystery that Cc hates it, as with most things true and good and necessary to a full, balanced, and decent life positively applied to progressing all of society.

Not unlike the other wonderful chemical perks (ahem, hah, a pun in this case) that nature freely provides, this is another that Cc chooses to ignore...I'm beginning to think you're an automaton for real now, Cc.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 886
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Saturday my wife and I went to a Beaner's Coffee place and had a red-eye. It was the best I've ever had. I usually get that from Starbucks, but we had a coupon so we decided to try it out. It was located on Woodward around 12 1/2 mile.
CAFFEINEISGOOD4U.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 229
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is a lot more than just coffee that has caffeine in it.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2735
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we need more drive through coffee places, more convenient on the way to work

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2152
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think both San Francisco and Detroit are fairly world reknown cities but have very little in common other than that.

Okay, well Berkeley is like Ann Arbor and they're both suburbs of their respective central cities, but that's it.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 896
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Starbuck's at Crooks & Maple have a drive-thru...

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3514
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

first -- i hate starbucks, but i'm definitely doing my job. i remember the good old days when planet ant was a coffee house and zoots was around somwhere by wsu

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3575
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah Zoots and Planet Ant. And wasn't there Velvet Moon or somesuch in Ferndale? And of course Gotham.

Too bad I can't find a pic of the original location on Woodward. Those were the golden years.

Lobsterpots
Username: Lobsterpots

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't believe this. Boston drinks the most coffee, and when I'm in Detroit, I have no difficult finding an ample supply of coffee.
The most uncaffinated cities are:
Salt Lake City, Utah
Provo, Utah
St. George, Utah.
Everyone knows Mormons don't drink caffinated beverages.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 803
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Things like this make me wonder.........

DOES MONEY REALLY GO INTO STUDIES LIKE THIS?!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.