Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Signal Restoration Completed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_signal
Username: Detroit_signal

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently completed a restoration of a late 1950s/early 1960s traffic signal from the city of Detroit. I have been picking away at it for sometime and I finally finished it today. As some of you already know, I have restored several vintage and antique signals from Michigan and other states. This Marbelite model is a great example of heavy-duty signal design and character from years long past. I'm glad to have rescued one more from the scrap heap.

MARBSERV

MARBRESTO

MARBAFTER

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 456
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking good! :-)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2229
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice job, Detroit-signal. Thanks for the pics.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

last time i saw the black signals was back in the 80,s at joy & hubbell

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yeah great job, need to find one myself.

Jmarx
Username: Jmarx

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want one! :-)

Seriously, how did you get a hold of the old signal...? Just curious...

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 371
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You need a ladder, some wire cutters, and a power outage.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 243
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've come across a few of the Detroit wooden post arc street lamps with the large cast top and base and climbing rungs in open fields where they've fallen. Id really love to get one but the damn things weigh a ton.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 807
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL @ Bearinabox. Good luck with that

But that looks real nice. Any chance you're selling it to one of those junkonthewall restaurants, or just putting it in your boom-boom room?

Detroit_signal

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Getting these signals is not easy. You usually have to deal with the contractor doing the install of the new signals. I have been lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time too. Yes, my signals are ALL obtained LEGALLY through purchase. I have kept most of them and used others for parts and just sell the remains to other collectors or trade for lenses or hardware or something. All of my restored signals operate just as the ones in real life do. One day when I'm tired of looking at all of them, I will donate them to a museum of transportation or local history.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do the lenses pretty much stay the same color over time (not fade), especially when exposed to sunlight?

Detroit_signal

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glass lenses (anything used pre-1979 in Detroit) do not lose their color or fade. At worst, the outside of the lens needs cleaning or buffing. Plastic lenses used nowadays can burn, fade, discolor, etc. The advantage of plastic is price difference and weight. Same with the signal bodies themselves. Old signals are aluminum construction as opposed to the plastic signals of today. Weight is the big advantage with plastic signals.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.