Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Ren Center Movie Theatres --- good experience! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night decided we wanted to go see American Gangster but didn't want to go to 'burbs. Saw it was playing at Ren Center Theatres - hadn't been there for a while so I wasn't sure what I would find. Turned out to be a great experience. Free parking right on Jefferson; theatre was clean; not crowded; regular ticket prices ($8.50) but refreshments were semi-cheap. Large popcorn and large soda with free refills for $6.50. And audience _ except for the couple who brought their child who was about five _ was respectful of other patrons. I found the snacks so reasonable, I will forego for future visits my usual smuggling in of entire meals to protest jacked-up prices, crummy snacks at other venues. The Redford,though, is still tops in my book!

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a great little theater. It's a short walk for me, so I often catch the $5 shows there. I usually go see the special effects extravaganzas in the suburbs that have superior facilities, but for normal movies I go to the Riverfront Four. Business seems to have been picking up there, too.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2741
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wondered how the ren cen was doing - glad to hear it isn't too bad, I hope they are geting enough business to make it a go

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't have to park on Jefferson, either. They offer free parking in the Beaubien Place garage: http://www.gmrencen.com/Direct ions/ValetParking/tabid/70/Def ault.aspx

Detroitprincess
Username: Detroitprincess

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am excited to find out there is a movie theater in Dtown. I am going to check it out! Thanks Urbanpioneer!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10752
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a nice option since you can walk to bars/restaurants before and after the movie without having to get in your car for dinner or a drink.

A movie and a walk along the riverfront is a nice option as well.

Arrogancy
Username: Arrogancy

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiny screen, bad sound, uncomfortable seats, tiny theatre, crowd almost as bad/ghetto as Star Southfield, which is saying something.

Still I have fond memories of seeing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles there when i was young, so it's not all bad.

Jt1

Post Number: 10754
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Tiny screen, bad sound, uncomfortable seats, tiny theatre, crowd almost as bad/ghetto as Star Southfield, which is saying something.

Are you talking about the old theater there? I have been to 6-7 movies there and the smaller screens is the only thing that I agree with.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2165
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Are you talking about the old theater there?

Must be since that theater was closed for a few years between now and when the original TMNT trilogy was in theaters...

Jt1

Post Number: 10755
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I figured that was the case but so many like to come here and speak as though they are experts about something that currently exists from memories 20 years ago.

I was politely calling out his bs.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 888
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we love to walk from Brush Park to the PM - Grand Circus Station to go to the Rencen. It's a really great option for Downtown movies! Sure beats the drive down Woodward to Bham and back...

Nice theater, but for the "big" movies, we usually head to Bham.... sadly....

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 379
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walk there all the time to the show and a bite to eat and a walk along the river
The theater is great, the screen is a smaller one but I agree , everything else is just fine.
Dont let some naysayers try to tell you its like it was in 1998. Things have changed, its about time some of them woke up instead of criticizing about things they dont even experience

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 615
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure you westsiders or suburbanites never realized there are 2 theatres in the city of Detroit, did you? As a matter of fact, one of them are suburban style with Dolby Surround Sound, big fat screens, cup holders, tickets under $6.00, ample free parking, and fairly reasonable snack prices with refills and and pretty clean.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 543
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loved the ren cen theatre.

Small screen!
are you kiddin me!
stop complaining. I live in New York and had the pleasure of (trying) watching a movie with a rather LARGE rat. In fact, two rather large rats, in the theatre.

when i left to go to another theatre, in the same building, there was another RAT, this time it was on my seat....

and you complain about a small screen?

I went to see transformers at the RenCen with my brother, and between two guys with refreshments, and no RATS, we spent 26 dollars. In New York It could has easily been 45 dollars plus a could of rodent spectators....

<313>

Arrogancy

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Are you talking about the old theater there? I have been to 6-7 movies there and the smaller screens is the only thing that I agree with.)

No, I was talking about the experience of seeing movies at the Ren Cen in general. Going there reminds me of going as a kid and seeing Ninja Turtles.

The only theatres I bother to go to at this point are in Birmingham and the Main Art for certain films before it dies - and the Ren Cen doesn't compare to the Palladium, so it's pointless unless you just do stuff in the city just to do stuff in the city (or live downtown).

Arrogancy

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what in the world does New York and rats have to do with anything in the slightest?

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 804
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kills me how people go off of old memories. Take a trip down there and you can see the difference from the lobby. Quit being so skeptical (and this comes from the guy who dogs Detroit DAILY)

Jt1

Post Number: 10756
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arrogancy - Your original post stated

"Tiny screen, bad sound, uncomfortable seats, tiny theatre, crowd almost as bad/ghetto as Star Southfield, which is saying something."

Then you admit that you admit that you have not been there since it has been redone. So essentially you are full of shit with your 'experience' of seeing movies at the Ren Cen in general.

It is one thing to say that you wouldn't go there but it is another to paint a picture that is based upon 20 years ago and attempt to present it as fact today.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2169
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I live in New York and had the pleasure of (trying) watching a movie with a rather LARGE rat. In fact, two rather large rats, in the theatre.

when i left to go to another theatre, in the same building, there was another RAT, this time it was on my seat....

Where was this theater?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 370
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arrogancy, gosh, what exactly about your childhood was so traumatic that would cause you to harbor such detailed rememberences of the Ren Cen theaters?

I would think, for a young person, just walking through the Oz like wonderland of the RenCen would be a treat. Heck, when I was a kid, just going to the movies would have been a treat and I don't think I would have noticed the audio system or the seating. In fact, I don't think any child would have enough life experience to compare or contrast good audio from bad. You must have been a audio prodigy; has that helped you later in life?

That leads me to think there must be some part of your childhood, possibly linked to Mutant Turtles, that was most unpleasant. Since you mention the crowd, and assuming that every child-centered movie like TMNT is rather boisterous - I gather you must have a real need for control and order.

Since you mention that memory, this need for order must be deeply rooted in your childhood psyche. Would you agree that order and structure are deepset needs that you strive for on a daily basis? hmmm

Personally, I like the seating in the Paladium and the architecture of the Birmingham theater, but most of the screens in the B-ham are quite small.

Lmcdet
Username: Lmcdet

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been there several times, the screens are smaller than most suburban theaters, but, to me the seats (super comfortable) and atmosphere was second to none. also, the sound was fine, I felt relaxed watching the movie. I give it two thumbs up!

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i thought the sound was fine, even better than some other burbin theaters.

my girlfriend and i go there all the time. its a nice experience.

Detroit313

Post Number: 545
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heart-

That was Union SQ....

Arrogancy-

My point was why sweat the small stuff-try something new-stop complaining...

Would you rather watch a movie on a tiny screen (The RenCen is a great place BTW) Or with RATS...

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2177
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was Union SQ....

The Regal?

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, the Regal Union Square! I go there all the time. Haven't seen any rats.

The RenCen theatre sounds promising. I will have to check it out. The Palladium still sounds like the best movie watching in metro D.

Detroit313

Post Number: 546
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terrible experience....

You can't see them when the lights go out!
I will be awhile until I go to the movies again. It was one right on my seat.......

<313>

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2179
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm saddened by that experience, lol. I actually like(d) The Regal Union Square. It seemed pretty clean when I was there back in the summer. That story makes me not want to go back...

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 554
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its nice to know those theatres are still open. I used to frequent that theatre in the early nineties with my ex girlfriend. From what I remember the theatres were somewhat intimate compared to the megaplexes we have in the suburbs. Ill have to take a melancholy trip down memory lane and see a pic there.

Jt1

Post Number: 10764
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You really want a trip down memory lane go to the Ford Wyoming theater (if you ever went to the drive in growing up)

Detroit313

Post Number: 547
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The RenCen is great!

IHeart-It was a bad experience, But I have to laugh at the situation....I jumped up at the exact moment a scary part of the movie was shown.

People thought I was a wuss!

:-):-):-):-):-):-)

<313>

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 375
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey 313, I cannot imagin what I would have said, if I saw even a mouse in a movie theather, but I would hazzard a guess that one word would start with an M and the other with an F.

When I was in the 600 tower, we'd occasionaly go to a movie during the day.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 557
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive been to the Ford Wyoming Jt. Liked the experience. Went to drive ins growing up.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard only nice things about the Ren Cen. If yo want a low budget theatre, try the Cinemark 16 in Warren. Instead of fixing broken seats, they just take them out...and the fruit punch in the drink dispensers, I have seen it flowing on a Wednesday afternoon at a secondary concession stand. Don't drink it! I highly doubt they even clean that place anymore...but you can't beat a 50 cent matinee!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.