Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » "Thrill" killing in Canton » Archive through November 12, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2705
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, this is seriously messed up...

This proves that you can't blame all violent behavior on the poor economy...sometimes people are just F-ing crazy

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20071112/NEWS02/ 71112021

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 425
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok you libs. Give me a reason that if these 3 are found guilty they should not get the death sentence.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because killing is wrong?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3565
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally wouldn't lose sleep over it, but someone did say Thou Shalt Not Kill. Of course it's not usually the libs quoting the bible.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 363
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ok you libs. Give me a reason that if these 3 are found guilty they should not get the death sentence.

Well, first off, there are only two suspects, so that would result in the death of at least one random innocent person.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2706
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Liberals often oppose the death penalty on the grounds that a disproportionate number of minorities and impoverished individuals receive death sentences

They might not have as big of a problem with two spoiled brats from suburbia who literally thought they could get away with murder being put down.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Liberals often oppose..."

I'd like DetroitYES! to join me in welcoming our newest staffer in the vast generalization department.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3566
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I think the main arguments against it are the fact that killing one innocent person would be worse than not killing thousands of guilty one, and also that by having state executions, you are actually devaluing life.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2707
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd:

That actually wasn't a generalization...if you look at it, it's a factual statement...now, if I had said "Liberals always oppose...", they you'd be correct. As it turns out, you're not.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2708
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL:

They often use that argument too. People oppose it for different reasons.

The reasons I stated is listed first, third and fourth on the ACLU website. The reason you stated is listed second.

http://www.aclu.org/capital/facts/10602res20040917.html

(Message edited by thejesus on November 12, 2007)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. Sure it's a generalization; you're building a straw man.

Have fun in in the rye-field!

Thejesus

Post Number: 2709
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^do you even know what a strawman is?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check your local library.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How sick must two individuals be to do that to another human being? Just for the viciousness of what they did to a family's treasured loved one, those nut jobs should get the death penalty. Too bad they did this in Michigan and not a state that recognizes the death penalty. They don't deserve to live much less see the light of day even if for one hour each day while in prison for life. I know I'm probably starting a real argument on this thread about the death sentence and all. But excuse me. After reading that article once more I have to be ill.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 493
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Death penalty is fine if:

DNA evidence, multiple eyewitnesses and/or video evidence are present to guarantee 100% that the accused is responsible. Also, I'd like there to be a history of prior violent convictions, illustrating an unwillingness towards rehabilitation.

signed,

a Lib

Thejesus

Post Number: 2710
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Check your local library."

Follow your own advice and you'll learn that it's an argumentative tactic based on a logical fallacy, which means I'd have to be arguing against someone's position in order to employ the tactic, which I was not. Furthermore, the phrasing of my statement makes it 100% factual.

But you go ahead and keep making up your own rules of logic if things make more sense to you that way. Good luck.

Tarkus

Post Number: 426
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Udm, why does there have to be history of prior violent convictions.
Good grief, if that were the case, Hitler had no prior history or DNA evidence against him for slaughtering the Jews.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

spoken like a true con.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3980
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see that those fucks wanted to dump the head in Detroit but they were too scared so they stopped at the border.

Lock up em and let them rot in prison and remember their "thrill" over and over again.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes the death penalty is too good for these people. As a matter of fact its an easy way out for these clowns. Let's petition the State Department of Corrections for a Supermax type facility. This type of facility while not a death sentence will make people think and regret what they did every day for the rest of their miserable life. Some people have said it's like Hell on earth . You would probably get a challenge from the ACLU since this type of facility borders on cruel and unusual punishment

Tarkus

Post Number: 427
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok Gravity, in your lib namby pamby way tell me how they are just misunderstood teens. For goodness sake they burned his hands and feet and then cutoff his head for good measure.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1616

TJ: You are constantly arguing against progressive positions on this board. That's your whole shtick! That's why it's funny when you try to seem a seasoned objective observer. And that's what makes it so fun to call you on it, watch you turn red and huff and puff and insist you're right.

Please, keep the entertainment coming!

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am quite liberal but I do support the death penalty. Hang em'.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes the death penalty is too good for these people. As a matter of fact its an easy way out for these clowns. Let's petition the State Department of Corrections for a Supermax type facility. This type of facility while not a death sentence will make people think and regret what they did every day for the rest of their miserable life. Some people have said it's like Hell on earth . You would probably get a challenge from the ACLU since this type of facility borders on cruel and unusual punishment

Bearinabox

Post Number: 366
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tarkus, your post #427 contained the first use of the word "misunderstood" in this thread. No post on here showed the least bit of sympathy for the two suspects. Believe it or not, it is possible to oppose the death penalty without sympathizing with everyone who is accused of a criminal act.

Tarkus

Post Number: 428
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bear, I was attempting to voice what a true lib might say "they are just misunderstood", I was not taking that stand as I have no sympathy for them. Hangem High.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 2671
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Some people have said it's like Hell on earth . You would probably get a challenge from the ACLU since this type of facility borders on cruel and unusual punishment."

So what gives us the right to do that? Do you really want other people to have jobs torturing other people? Isn't locking them up in a cell with no interaction with anyone else except the screw pushing their food tray enough punishment?

Do we really want a society that tortures people?
Watching too much CSI? What about that man and that woman that killed those little 10 and 11 year olds over the drug money? Do we want someone to torture them as well?

Jeez, I thought God was supposed to have his way with people.

Such forward thinking - Jeez, that guy in Russia that killed 48 people or whatever it was got life in prison. Russia.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1862
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

since you're already convinced of what my arguement will be, and that is the opposite of yours, why do you need to me to explain it?

Bearinabox

Post Number: 367
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tarkus, I got that. What I was trying to point out to you is that nobody here, regardless of their political views or position on the death penalty, is taking that particular stand in this case.

(Message edited by bearinabox on November 12, 2007)

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4438
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Give me a reason that if these 3 are found guilty they should not get the death sentence."

If there was not a history of errors being made by prosecutors seeking the death penalty, I would not oppose it.
My problem is this: They sometimes execute the wrong guy.

http://www.innocenceproject.or g/

How many "wrong guys" are worth sacrificing so that someone can feel a sense of revenge?

Let these guys spend the rest of their lives worrying about their personal safety in the showers...