Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » What have local companies done for M-Detroit?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 261
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is all this talk about buying Domestic. Right? Well I totally agree with buying Domestic but as the other thread states about Toyota paid for a 2 million theater!! Has Compuware or NWA just to name a few done much for Metro Detroit and the city itself??

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3093
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, constructing a big, fat building where a lot of people in the heart of downtown doesn't count? And who knows how much in sponsorship dollars and other things.

I don't know how much NWA put toward the new terminal, but it's a lot nicer than the old. NWA is based in MN anyway.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Small, midsize companies sought as United Way funding sources
Participation of small and midsize companies in the United Way for Southeastern Michigan's Torch Drive has remained steady in recent years, and the organization expects these donor groups to be bigger funding sources in the future.

For the past few years, giving by small and midsize companies has helped raise about 8 percent of United Way's goal. The Torch Drive raised $61.07 million in 2006....

United Way workplace campaigns

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 580
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A real contribution is jobs. Gifts are nice, but they don't pay the rent.

Re: Toyota and their most recent stunt. Boeing building a theatre here would make more sense.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French, you ever heard of the Karmonos Cancer Institute?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5134
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comerica donates a ton of cash to United Way

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5728
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now be easy on French777... he's only 15 and hasn't been around all that long!!

He's "getting his feet wet" from others on this forum, so I commend him posting questions as one of our youngest members... :-)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 606
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K-Mart did NOTHING for the city. They are on my shit list for the worst companies to ever be associated with Detroit.

Comerica I guess is ok. They would be on my shit list if they didn't try to pretty themselves up after that silent but deadly move (I want to spit on their preppy advertisements around the city).

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reg: They've bled us white, the bastards. They've taken everything we had, not just from us, from our fathers and from our fathers' fathers.

Stan: And from our fathers' fathers' fathers.

Reg: Yes.

Stan: And from our fathers' fathers' fathers' fathers.

Reg: All right, Stan. Don't labour the point. And what have they ever given us in return?

Xerxes: The aqueduct.

Reg: Oh yeah, yeah they gave us that. Yeah. That's true.

Masked Activist: And the sanitation!

Stan: Oh yes... sanitation, Reg, you remember what the city used to be like.

Reg: All right, I'll grant you that the aqueduct and the sanitation are two things that the Romans have done...

Matthias: And the roads...

Reg: (sharply) Well yes obviously the roads... the roads go without saying. But apart from the aqueduct, the sanitation and the roads...

Another Masked Activist: Irrigation...

Other Masked Voices: Medicine... Education... Health...

Reg: Yes... all right, fair enough...

Activist Near Front: And the wine...

Omnes: Oh yes! True!

Francis: Yeah. That's something we'd really miss if the Romans left, Reg.

Masked Activist at Back: Public baths!

Stan: And it's safe to walk in the streets at night now.

Francis: Yes, they certainly know how to keep order... (general nodding)... let's face it, they're the only ones who could in a place like this.

(more general murmurs of agreement)

Reg: All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?

Xerxes: Brought peace!

Reg: (very angry, he's not having a good meeting at all) What!? Oh... (scornfully) Peace, yes... shut up!

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 816
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 4:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for Kmart doing nothing, remember, they were not always Kmart:
http://www.kresge.org/content/ displaycontent.aspx?CID=27

besides that, here's a $450,000 donation to the Science Center, not from Kresge, but from Kmart themselves: http://www.csrwire.com/PressRe lease.php?id=697

As for other companies, each of the Big Three donated to the Riverwalk (Toyota did too, there's a good story behind that, it was a 'thanks' to GM for doing something for one of their causes). Oh, don't forget the 50 million from Kresge there.

The MOT operates in part on generous donations by all three of the automakers, and hundreds of other donors, some located in Detroit, some in the suburbs, some outside. Portions of the Opera House are named after some - Cadillac Cafe, Ford Lobby, etc...

So yes, other companies have also donated millions of dollars to causes in Detroit, enough to dwarf that $2 million from Toyota.

And before you bash Kmart, at least try to find out what they've done. I don't condone them leaving the area (or even leaving the city for troy), but to say they've done nothing is completely wrong.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 5:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, driven down wages, vaporized pensions, shifted more health care costs to workers, eliminated OT pay and duped us into thinking they have done everybody a huge favor.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford annually sponsors 2-3 habitat for humanity homes a year in Detroit. GMAC, Chrysler, DOW, Pepsi, Lafarge, Comerica, Hertez, PWC, Royal Roofing, Carlson, Chrysler, Pulte and countless others frequently sponsor part or whole houses.

Masco is a huge donor in money and materials

Scottr

Post Number: 817
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I know, driven down wages, vaporized pensions, shifted more health care costs to workers, eliminated OT pay and duped us into thinking they have done everybody a huge favor.

First, i think you are seriously delusional about the retail industry if you think high wages, generous pensions, a low employee health care burden, or any amount of overtime are the norm. Second, Kmart has hardly been a driving force for much of anything in the retail industry, let alone those subjects.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1743
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The initial question posted was not about K mart or the retail industry in particular. However, in the old days people were able to hold down retail jobs and live a somewhat normal life, and support them selves and maybe a family too. Not possible today.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thecarl: Monty Python?

Scottr

Post Number: 818
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pardon my misunderstanding of your response, Cambrian, as it followed my own regarding an accusation that Kmart has done nothing. In any case, most of those things are more due to the increasingly self-serving demands of Wall Street, and an out-of-control insurance industry in the case of health care costs.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

raptor - correct! the script is from monty python's life of brian.

there are some scenes in that movie which are strangely paralleled on this website from time to time; the challenge to demagoguery in this case.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3107
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't the Parade balloon Clownie originally sponsored by K-Mart?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.