Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Giovanni's Ristorante -what to order? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 980
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mom is being taken out to dinner to Giovanni's and would like to know what she should order. She would order the Veal Parmagian(sp) because that's what she always orders at Italian restaurants. Should she venture further? Thanks! K

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 368
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It depends on who is taking her, what time they are going, and who is driving.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very funny! When we take my Mom out to dinner she wants to be *fully* prepared and know ahead of time what to order, what everyone else is ordering, etc.

Veal marsala is a good safe bet.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2468
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I'd start with the sausage and peppers (can't remember what she calls it), and then the Pasta Fagioli, and finally go with the Manzo di Braciole.

Some nice half bottles of both Barolos and Brunellos on the wine list. Get one of each, for the variety.

Then of course, no Italian dinner is complete without a coffee and Frangelico.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second the Pasta Fagioli to start. If she likes meat, I highly recommend the canneloni pomodoro and veal alla Giovanni. Otherwise, their gnocchi is very good. (Plus, I've never seen gnocchi like Giovanni's. They are elongated rather than the usual thumb-sized, rounder version.)

Here's their dinner menu:
http://www.giovannisristorante .com/menu.php?menutype=dinner

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 982
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll take any more that anyone has to offer.

Gnome, that was funny. I read it to my mom and she had a good laugh!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2569
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm salivating...just recalling the last totally fine Giovanni's meal that I experienced!!

Hope you and your mom and all have a divine experience!!

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 889
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 5:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you kidding? Giovannis is the BEST Italian around and you can't go wrong with ANYthing! Be a little adventurous and be sure to have a bottle of wine with dinner! Now I am envious.... :-)

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3245
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You must get the calamari. (sheds tear at the thought of the delectible treat).

(Sniff) The calamari is....(moan)...divine.

Japes
Username: Japes

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lasagna, the pasta in it is so thin and fluffy.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 983
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, just want to thank y'all for the info. It seems that mom went with dabirch's choices. She decided on the Manzo di Braciole and said she loved it. No one had soup, but they had the sausage appetizer and it was very good also. For dessert, the tiramasu and a lemony, custard like something (her words), coffee and Frangelico.

If there was a contest, dabirch would have won!

Thanks again, I was only hopeful that maybe one person would respond to my request. I'm grateful. How fun!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10769
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You left out how much wine was drank. Eating at an old Italian place without a bottle of win is probably a sin.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

went there, Saturday nite. Excellent food. Fran was wonderful. Food too! Caio!

Soulsauce
Username: Soulsauce

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mmmm,

The pasta fagioli at Giovanni's is to die for!

I had a birthday dinner there 2 years ago and I'm still dreaming about my chicken marsala...

Pgn421

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone been to La Dolce Vita? Woodward close to 6 mile. Good food,entertainment. Brunch second Sunday of the month in your pj`s!!

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 288
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I last went to La Dolce Vita a little over a year ago, during the summer so we could sit on the patio. Outstanding food, great ambience, definitely recommend it. I would have been back already, but I'm on a kick to try new restaurants, and haven't hit the end of my list yet.

To be honest the area appears a little dicey (I don't know for certain that it is), but with valet parking I had absolutely no concerns about my car's well-being.

Pgn421

Post Number: 217
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, i had my classic car there, no worries. Have you tried Goivanni`s? or any other new restaurants you can reccomend?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.