Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » New Retail coming to the heart of midtown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 648
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://modeldmedia.com/develop mentnews/default.aspx

this may have been overshadowed by Quicken, but this is really big news as well. The building sits empty now at a corner that is right on the edge of Midtown's momentum, this is huge

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

awesome, but i will still be shopping at detroit hardware ;)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3988
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent news. National chains are giving Detroit, and not just downtown at that, a chance.

"The project includes a 65-space surface parking lot that faces Cass..." The vacant adjacent lot clearly works to the advantage of this end. http://maps.live.com/default.a spx?v=2&cp=r1rp6v82b719&style= o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-10 00&scene=5646166&encType=1

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2223
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, what about the streetwall there?

They should have built parking in the back, if not underneath the new construction. A parking lot fronting Cass like that really interferes with a traditional urban streetscape.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2172
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought there were already plenty of Ace Hardwares in other parts of the city. There are at least two in the Grandmont/Rosedale Corridor on Grand River.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3989
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Except there wasn't one already in place. There's really not much to hold against them here.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2755
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is good news, these are great business for the people who live or work there

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 431
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ace and Papa John's both operate via franchises. What will open (or has remained open)is reflective of the willingness of individual franchisees to assume risk. Further, while franchise fees are paid to the corporate office these businesses often are owned by individuals rooted in the community, i.e. good chance that profits stay local, hence the myth exploded that eating Big Macs drain resources from a community via repatriation of profits.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 377
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just going to say the Papa John's is the best delivered pizza, period.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 432
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correction - Ace is an owners' co-op, not franchise, if Wiki is to be believed. If true, even better for the buy-local sensibilities of the hippies & hipsters of WSU.

PJ's is OK by me, but when they're on their game Circa's pizza kicks ass.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 649
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dial4...Midtown Development didn't build this building. They purchased the Auburn building with the intention of adding a floor and building loft. However, that plan never materialized because of problems with the building/plans/contracts/etc more so than a lack of demand. The plan is to eventually build more on the lots next to the Auburn building, and I believe ModelD included that in the article

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 636
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

awesome to see, but i'm still going to spend my dollahs at 3rd ave hardware/busybee for my hardware and MCBW/piezanos for my pizza...

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will be interesting to see if Ace will actually move there. 3rd Street Hardware and Detroit Hardware, which has amazing customer service, have loyal, loyal followings and uber-knowledgable staff.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

papa john's recently opened a new store in the livernois marketplace just south of 7 mile

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 544
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dial4-I'm with you. Detroit should have a ordinance that forces a certain type of structure to be built, sort of like New York's 1918 law for a setback.

<313>

Nem
Username: Nem

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family owns an Ace Hardware store in the metro area, so I am very familiar with how Ace stores function. Just to clear things up, Ace stores are NOT franchises, but are actually Co-Ops. Ace stores operate completely independently and enjoy far more freedom (in terms of product selection, advertising, pricing, etc.) than franchises. Ace Corp. is merely a wholesale buying/advertising group. The stores are nearly always independently owned and operated by locals. I applaud the particular owner of this up and coming store for waging their financial future on the city of Detroit. I plan to attend their grand opening and will be sure to make it a regular stop when I am in the city.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 638
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so they are more like spartan stores? cool!

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 402
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a Hardware store downtown/midtown that is open past 5:00 p.m.? What about Sunday's? I need liquid nails tonight!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 641
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I thought there were already plenty of Ace Hardwares in other parts of the city. There are at least two in the Grandmont/Rosedale Corridor on Grand River."

Ace have long removed their name from many of the Metro Detroit location. There used to be one on 6 Mile and Gratiot. Apparently, we weren't a profitable market for them. (only TrueValue's are left).

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 642
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, the Papa Johns is old news. There was something on here about them eons ago expanding 25ish locations around the city.

Daytwa
Username: Daytwa

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not particular to Detroit - Ace hardwares had largely dissapeared all over the West side of the state as well, I have noticed. They seem to have started springing up again over past five years or so...

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 676
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kid_dynamite - concur- although JET's pickup is almost as good

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 379
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty, Jet's square, right? Jets's square pie vs. Papa John's (dunked in that heart-smart, Weight Watcher's garlic butter dipping sauce) is neck and neck for me.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.