Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » "Thrill" killing in Canton » Archive through November 12, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3569
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I admit when I read or hear about this stuff, I do have a gut feeling that the people should be taken out. I don't think it helps at all. But you do want vengeance against these animals that think they have the right to end the life of another person.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3570
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, but even in my own post I betray the problem with the death penalty. "that think they have the right to end the life of another person."

Damn, I out-argued myself.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 909
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These two nut-jobs will go to prison and hopefully live a long time.
I doubt that they will survive the onslaught of the general population, but they deserve whatever is handed to them.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a conservative who,after much deliberation, is against the death sentence:
a) It's not a deterrent the way it is used now and given the political reality, will not become one.
b) The death sentence costs tax payers more money because of appeals
c) If properly instituted, a life sentence with no benefits, ie. TV,etc. and preferably hard time, is a much better way to address the evils of dirt bags such as the two mentioned here. They will pay for years and years and years ...if implemented correctly.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2599
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ok you libs. Give me a reason that if these 3 are found guilty they should not get the death sentence.

#1. Killing is wrong.
#2. It won't bring back the victim.
#3. It won't prevent crimes like this from happening again.

BTW - it isn't just "libs" who are opposed to the death penalty, unless you count the Pope as a liberal.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2711
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I see that those fucks wanted to dump the head in Detroit but they were too scared so they stopped at the border."

Yeah I don't know what they were thinking.

If they had just driven 1 more mile then dumped the body, their chances of getting away with it would have gone up significantly!

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 737
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

".....and the Award for "Gratuitously Connecting Two Unrelated Items" goes to...."

"Tarkus, for his work in convoluting a gruesome killing into an ad hominem attack on his political opponents."

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carolcb- No , I am not talking about physical torture, That is cruel and unusual punishment, thus unconstitutional. I am talking about the isolation and lack of interaction with other people. Many countries and some states have this level of confinement within their prison system.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4439
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The death sentence costs tax payers more money because of appeals"
Oops, I forgot to mention that one...

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember that one Simpsons episode with Rex Banner the Prohibition enforcer? This discussion reminds me of the episode, because he says, "It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cockeyed!"

I think some of the people with the most hostility and anger are the ones who are pro-death penalty. I honestly believe they wish they could kill people, are frustrated that they cannot, and thus enjoy letting the state kill people.

Just a theory I'm workin' on. You may now return to cheering on state-sponsored death and cruelty.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2712
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^seems plausible...that doesn't really add much to the discussion though (not that that's stopped you from chiming in before...just saying)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3573
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes a prison island sounds like a good idea. Let the really bad ones go live off the land on some isolated island, protected by some PT boats so nobody can help them get off. They can farm and such, and the taxpayers don't have to pay for it. These would be the ones who otherwise would have a mandatory life sentence or death sentence. Yeah, they'd probably wind up killing each other, but we were gonna do that anyway.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2018
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just love how the national media still pin this murder on Detroit. Co worker said to me today, "this is why Detroit sucks."

Thejesus

Post Number: 2713
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sometimes a prison island sounds like a good idea."

^The English tried that already with Australia...it ends in disaster(See:Australian-rules football; Crockodile Dundee movies, etc.)

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting sidebar:
quote:

Michigan was the first English-speaking government in the world to totally abolish the death penalty.[1][2] The Michigan State Legislature voted to do so on May 18, 1846[3] and this has remained in law since.

i seem to remember some kind of celebration of the 160th anniversary this year.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2601
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The prison island does sound like an interesting idea.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5131
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd rather see em in in prison tossing Tyrone's salad.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10751
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

c) If properly instituted, a life sentence with no benefits, ie. TV,etc. and preferably hard time, is a much better way to address the evils of dirt bags such as the two mentioned here. They will pay for years and years and years ...if implemented correctly.

Spot on.

quote:

"Sometimes a prison island sounds like a good idea."

^The English tried that already with Australia...it ends in disaster(See:Australian-rules football; Crockodile Dundee movies, etc.)

Got to give tj credit. That was pretty funny.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3203
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are describing Alcatraz.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1618
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't we put them in work camps, where we can work them to death and drive them insane? When we're done with them, we can gas them and burn them. Although I bet that's "too good for them" too...

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 366
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a horrific situation, only made more so with Kim Worthy leading the charge to convict.

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 179
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hand the case over to the Feds. Then the death penalty is a possibility.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw a clip about this killing on CNN, they refer to it as happening in Detroit, is there any connection to Detroit? If not, the media seriously needs to step off the city.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2714
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh brother

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 633
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thejesus: the reason that they shouldn't get the death penalty is that it would cost too much.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 421
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Assuming that they did it...

...these guys violated the social contract, i.e. all members of society "agree" to be nice to one another. They broke the rules, so excise them; cull the herd. People live in fear (see the "Cosby" thread) of loose criminals, so permanently remove the source of the fear. White. Black. Violent or substantial white collar criminals. Hang 'em high so that the rest of society can live without fear.

I don't break the contract, and I'm sure that most of "you" behave, too. Why should we tolerate those who do not respect our desire for property & peace?

Thejesus

Post Number: 2715
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"thejesus: the reason that they shouldn't get the death penalty is that it would cost too much."

ok, but why are you telling me?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's funny. I had this, I don't know, kind of odd idea that we were supposed to take sick, twisted individuals who kill with impunity and to try to reform them. (That goes for Bush and Cheney too.)

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd: That's funny. I had this, I don't know, kind of odd idea that we were supposed to take sick, twisted individuals who kill with impunity and to try to reform them. (That goes for Bush and Cheney too.)

Thats the problem with this criminal justice system as a society we can't decide whether prison is to punish or reform so we do both... poorly !

BTW lets find that deserted island in the middle of the Pacific. Drop the prisoners there with some food and tools and tell them to make it as best you can

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ancient Greeks were big on exile, I hear.