Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Meat Markets « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nere
Username: Nere

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know of a meat market/butcher shop that has full feathered chickens in the metro Detroit area? They don't have to be live, but must have the head and feathers intact. I have a snake and would rather buy locally.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3603
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought you were going to ask about singles clubs.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 199
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't you just go catch some pigeons or something?

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 941
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boscos on Livernois near the Lodge in Detroit. They have live (catfish and) poultry. I bought a 6 pound duck there once.
After I cooked it, (my first time trying) I ended up with about 3 1/2 pounds of bird and lots of fat.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Hassan Bros. in Eastern Market.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RJ Meats , Wigley, and Ronnies Meats , all in the Gratiot Central Market, in the eastern market.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 640
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's the Mack and Sheridan Meat Market.

Nere

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha, no, no singles clubs or pigeons, guys, lol.

Thanks to everyone else! I've never been inside Bosco's, but I drive by it everyday! I will be giving these places a call. Thanks so much, guys! :-)

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Boscos on Livernois near the Lodge in Detroit. They have live (catfish and) poultry. I bought a 6 pound duck there once.
After I cooked it, (my first time trying) I ended up with about 3 1/2 pounds of bird and lots of fat.

the ed! i must ask, what compelled you to do such a thing, and was it worth it? noted, you bought a duck there *once.*

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mack and Sheridan Meat Market burned last week.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 954
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thecarl:

"the ed! i must ask, what compelled you to do such a thing, and was it worth it?••• noted, you bought a duck there *once.*"

I was courting my current wife and we decided to try something different. It was worth the experience. We were in there buying fish and we saw that they had a lot of big white ducks in the back of the place. So.......we wanted to try some duck for a change of taste. We won't do that again! I work with a friend who hunts and he gives me snow goose breasts, canada goose breasts & canvasback breasts. Those are delicious grilled.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 662
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mack and Sheridan Meat Market burned last week."

Wow, that place had to be the only Mack Ave. business open for a couple decades now. I'm so sorry to hear that.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Vergotes on Harper and Whittier, they used to have live poultry. If their still open.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 678
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Yeah, they still are.

Nere

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bosco's no longer has whole chickens. :-(

I will definitely be looking up these places, thanks guys!

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 205
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheechs Chicken, Gratiot Central Market. Whole chickens. Capitol poultery used to be close by. They had live ducks,geese,chickens,capons. Seems like anything that flew they had.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 645
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do quite a bit of duck hunting this time of year and can probably get you some small wild ducks or coots. Do you have a size limit on the birds you are looking for? Send me an email at JZofchak@ Y..A.Hoo Dot Com if you're still looking for a source. John.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always found that Menjo's on a Thursday night was a meat market with plenty of chickens.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.