Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » How to shop entirely in Detroit ... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm curious as to how many people shop entirely in Detroit or nearly so. How do you do it? I estimate as much as 85 percent of my shopping is in Detroit. Groceries and daily staples are university foods/King Cole Foods outside Boston-Edison, Eastern Market and my garden. CVS has my other staples. There is Home Depot and local hardware stores. We have Barnes and Noble. Where I do "cheat" is probably on clothing where the Internet is useful and on "specialty" products that no matter where I lived I'd have to go to a special store. The one other exception is the Home Depot in Detroit is a mess and a madhouse, and I usually find a better variety and much better customer service at Lowes.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2801
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could do what you describe, you have to work at it and it does help justify retail in the City and keep it open.

I went on the www.detroittourconnections.com

Christmas shopping tour with my wife last year and we bought about 2/3 of our Christmas gifts in the CBD. And it was great fun

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 645
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't, I usually go out to Roseville, Clinton Township, Eastpointe or Harper Woods. However, I shop at Glory for groceries, Beauty Supplies in the city, CVS, The Liquor Store, The Gas Station, Bel-Air (for my clothing at Forman Mills), 7-Mack, and every now and then 7-Gratiot and Warren/Conner (For the FootLocker's, Rainbow's, etc.).

(Message edited by DetroitRise on November 14, 2007)

Lowereast
Username: Lowereast

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I try to do all of my shopping in the city. Groceries have been a little more challenging thanks to the Jefferson Farmer Jack closing, but I still make it happen. I did all of my Christmas shopping in town last year. I will continue the trend this year too :-)

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastern Market is an amazing resource.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 605
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like to give gift certificates from Rafal Spice as presents.

Pete
Username: Pete

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the Detroit Home Depot topic, I tried to do all I could to get everything I needed from the Detroit Home Depot for a basement project, but the price per sheet of drywall was almost a full dollar more than the Home Depot on 12 Mile in Madison Heights. On a large project such as I was doing, it added up to a significant amount of money, so I just had it delivered from Madison Heights. Then, I decided to at least rent the drywall lift from the Detroit store, but when I went there they told me they don't have any for rent, while again Madison Heights has five. So, I had to trek up there again. I did what I could, but it was a pain in the ass. I was trying to get my stuff from Dewey's Do-It center on Schaffer (where I got all of the materials for rebuilding my garage), but I couldn't even find them listed in the phone book anymore. Are they out of business?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 674
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Home Depot is corporate crap all around. You 2 would be better off shopping at your local Detroi Ace or TrueValu.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 641
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For personal needs, I shop basically 100% in the city. Keep in mind that I rent, so I don't have to buy appliances...

-University provides my vegetarian food, and basics
-Honey Bee provides my mid-week vegetables, and mexican food
-Eastern market provides fruit
-R. Hert provides cheese
-Rafel provides my spices & dried asian foods (like springroll wrappers)
-Avalon provides my bread
-Of course there is always Springwells for a few nice odds and ends

[THAT IS ALL MY FOOD - NOW OTHER STUFF]
-3rd Avenue / Brookes Lumber for ALL my hardware, lumber, industrial art supplies
-Utrect for my art supplies
-Kinkos on woodward for copies
-Marwell's / Staples on jefferson for office supplies + school supplies
-Value World + Salvation Army Clothes
-Bureau: homegoods (like a salt shaker, strainer)
-Shoes: BCK
-Bike Supplies: Back Alley + Bike Tech

I only use my car to go to staples/visit my mom (both on eastside of detroit) + I only leave this town all together to visit Grandma... or go on a trip...

I don't know... am I missing something?

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 382
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I buy about 80% of grocery/drug store needs in the city. Eastern Market, Harbortown, Honey Bee, and CVS. hardware at Busy Bee in Eastern Market when possible. Delicacies at Hirts, Rocky Peanut and Girmack Nuts , Meats at Gratiot Central Market ( great butchers and prices), Wine at Cost Plus ( great prices and service), Books at Borders, small stuff at Dollar Store on Lafayette, take out at 1 of 20 places in the area.
With the exception of Honey Bee and Harbortown its all within walking distance, thats why Lafayette Park is such a great area to live in. Its very self contained, blows a hole totally in the "you have no conveniences Downtown" crowds' attitude. They drive to all of these types of needs in the burbs where they live,, always has me scratching my head when I hear that. Clothing etc?? I either internet shop or drive 20 mins to Troy, Dearborn or eastwards,, the same time it took me to get there when I lived in Huntington Woods

(Message edited by DetroitBill on November 15, 2007)

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 940
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I buy the vast majority of my clothes in downtown Detroit.

Brooks Brothers, in the RenCen, is on the higher end of the price scale, but they sell very nice stuff, especially dress shirts.

The Jos A Bank store, also in the RenCen, has a great selection of mens clothing, from professional to casual, and you can find some great deals during their sales.

The independent men's stores on Broadway and Randolph have great prices on shirts and ties, and they feature some items that you won't find in most chain stores.

The City Warehouse, on Broadway, sells ties two for $30, and they are the coolest ties you will find.

Every time I wear a tie from City Warehouse, I will hear 2 or 3 compliments on it. I never get compliments on my standard department store ties.

Username: 3420

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really like City Warehouse. I have been there a few times. What happened to Mark England?

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 747
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are those stores on Broadway like? I had wanted to go into them when I was in Detroit, but from the shop windows they seemed like they only catered to 75 year old men and also seemed to cater more to the African American population.

Would there be stuff in there that would cater to a 25 year old who likes to dress up?????????

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many people striving so hard to shop in the CoD are also trying hard to avoid products made in China or heavens!... looking for products made in the USA or double heavens!... made in Detroit?

Irunwscissors
Username: Irunwscissors

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where would be a great place for women to shop for professional stylish clothing, shoes and accessories?

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget about Shop Detroit - December 1st.

http://detroitsynergy.org/proj ects/shopdetroit

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban Pioneer, since when does Detroit have a Barnes & Noble?

I checked their website and they don't have a location listed. Are you referring to the Grosse Pointe store? It's close to the border, but definitely on the Grosse Pointe side.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 710
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought 7-Mack (St John) only had a Grosse Pointe Postal Code. However, it was still in Detroit.

Crawford

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, that could be right. I know that the Pointe Plaza complex straddles both communities, but I don't know where the exact border is located.

The entire plaza has a Grosse Pointe postal code. I had no idea one could have a postal code that was different than the actual municipality.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 711
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never mind, I guess I thought wrong.

Anyway, how are you all managing to shop in the city? I know it's one heck of a challenge doing it.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 712
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crawford, The Barnes and Noble (according to them) is in Grosse Pointe. However, any type of planning or layout would tell you different.

Crawford

Post Number: 157
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I googled and mapquested the location and both came up with a Grosse Pointe address.

Perhaps the owners got an address change when the complex was built to appear more upscale, while the structure is actually within Detroit city limits.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 714
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Yeah, probably so.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a Barnes & Noble on WSU's campus on Warren near the Lodge.

I try to buy and eat food only in the city, it is a personal challenge. My problem is purchasing quality cosmetics, socks & undergarments.

What about services? I tried to hire contractors only in the city, if only because it saved having to affirm they'd be safe.

Does anyone know a non-Home Depot hardware store open on Sunday?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 717
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one on 6 Mile and Gratiot is open until 4 PM.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought Pointe Plaza was in Detroit, and maps clearly show that's the case. Moreover, I looked at their respective websites, and Atlanta Bread Company, Bath & Body Works, Gibb's Wine, and Buddy's Pizza all have Detroit addresses. (Buddy's says Detroit/Grosse Pointe, but if you click on the heading, MapQuest gives a Detroit address.) Boo on Barnes & Noble for shunning the Detroit address.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 386
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crawford, zip code boundaries don't always follow municipal boundaries. In this case, the 48236 zip, which is associated with the Pointes, also extends into part of Detroit. As with all 482xx zips, "Detroit, MI" is still a valid mailing address within that zip. So both addresses are correct as far as USPS is concerned, and it's up to Barnes and Noble to decide which one they feel like advertising.

Iaintgotnostyle
Username: Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What downtown needs is a NY style 24 deli . The perfect spot would be on Beaubian where the Detroiter bar is. Take over that entire building and turn it into a great joint.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.