Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » How Many Stories Can 4,000 Employees Fill Up? » Archive through November 14, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nyct
Username: Nyct

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

40? 35? 50?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 stories in a sprawling suburban mega-campus. Just kidding. ;)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2741
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

depends on the size of the footprint...

I'd expect a company like quicken to factor workforce growth into their building plans though...so we're probably taking more than 4,000.

At it's peak earlier this year, Quicken employed nearly 5,000...who knows how many they'll employ 10 years from now, or in 4 years when they move

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6805
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

150 story glass covered skyscraper Quicken Tower would Detroit's prime example of its true rennaisance.

Nyct

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

say the footprint size is as big as the hudson's site. it' have to be between 35 and 40, right? close to 100 employees on each floor or so sounds right.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2742
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"150 story glass covered skyscraper Quicken Tower would Detroit's prime example of its true rennaisance."

except that would fuck the Detroit office market like the Rec Cen for ANOTHER 30 years, ensuring that nothing else gets built until 2040

(Message edited by thejesus on November 14, 2007)

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the hudson's site is limited to between 15-18 stories as is. that's what the foundations and columns were designed to hold. that would still encompass around 1.2-1.4 million square feet.

they could go back and reinforce or rebuild the existing structure to make it taller. i think that's be highly unlikely, however.

personally, i would really like to see them go on the monroe block, facing campus martius. that would really turn that whole area into a thriving business district...

Thejesus

Post Number: 2743
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nyct...hudson's can only handle 20 stories I think

Edit: ah, RSA beat me to it

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3564
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i figured in the other discussion, that at 200-250 sq ft per employee, 800k - 1 million sq ft would be needed for existing employees, so hudson's could offer them room to grow

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nowadays architects design between 25,000 to 30,000 SF floorplate to be most efficient. Expect it to be that even on an irregular shaped site.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would prefer to see two or more shorter buildings within walking distance of each other. There is no reason (other than costs) that all 4000 employees need to be housed in the same building.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2744
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

these might be an indication of what kind of height we're looking at

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2250
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You all seem to presume that all 4,000 employees would be working at the same time. Figuring vacation, comp, and sick time, and the probability of shift work, I'd cut that figure in half to figure the needed space.

Nyct

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there'll be some off hour work, but not enough that would cut the estimated space needed in half. plus, people don't share cubicles with those who work the night shift.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 420
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, you don't design a stadium with the assumption that not everyone will be in their seats at the same time.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10777
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard it will be a 4001 story building and each worker will get his/her own floor. Dan Gilbert's office will occupy the top two floors.

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. It's one thing to design an assembly plant for 1/2 or 1/3 of the workers, but thats because all of them will leave, a new shift will come in and assembly workers wont exactly get their own workspace.

If the company was at 4,800 a year or so ago and 4,000 now, it seems perfectly reasonable the building would be constructed for 5,000+.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1993
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i figured in the other discussion, that at 200-250 sq ft per employee, 800k - 1 million sq ft would be needed for existing employees, so hudson's could offer them room to grow

So in other words, they would be looking at at least a 50,000 sq ft floor plate if they built on the Hudson's site? Since there is the 18 story limit, that would give them 200+ employees per floor.

(Message edited by Dougw on November 14, 2007)

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 378
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, don't forget to add 2 floors at the bottom for the ESPNZone presents the House of Blues Cheesecake Factory brought to you by Ruth Chris.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5743
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although it's just speculation, my gut feeling is that the Quicken HQ is going to be on the Statler site. Why?

Because the Hudson's site won't leave much room for height, and will likely be another big box building like Compuware. Also I don't think that Gilbert will want to have a "2nd fiddle" site to the Compuware HQ, which is directly on Campus Martius. With the Compuware HQ there, it gives the Hudson's site rather poor sightlines.

The Statler site is just the opposite. It is a majestic site with lots of "view" potential. And there's no height restrictions. If Gilbert wants a residential and entertainment component to his Quicken HQ, then the Statler site is unbeatable, what with the potential of the United Artists Building being converted to residential, and potentially the UA Theatre becoming a "signature" performing arts center.

Also, the Statler block has the People Mover going around it on 2 1/2 sides, and cutting across a corner of it (similar to the PM going across the Millender Center corner). If it were feasible, a Bagley Ave. PM Station would be a great draw for Quicken. From the Grand Circus Park PM Station, it is 4 blocks until the next station, so a Quicken station is not that far fetched (there are several other stations that would still be closer than a Bagley station would be to GCP or Times Sq. stations).

I also think that a technology building is a better fit next to Compuware, than on the Statler site. It would help make Woodward "Technology Row".

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 351
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how many stories is enron's hq in houston?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3994
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the PM has anything to do with the decision making. If anything, the PM tracks make the Statler site awkward, and will mess with the facade facing GCP. Perhaps for the random employee going to a Red Wings game on a winter night it would be beneficial, and if anyone has business at the Ren Cen, but that's about it. I suppose you could contend people would take it to Greektown, and that would ease parking demand around Greektown/Bricktown (hopefully leading to infill), but that's a bit of a stretch. Besides, Merchants Row to CMP to Monroe is an extremely appealing and walkable combination of streets in downtown.

The big advantage for Statler is the option to build something tall. Something about the height of the Broderick would be perfect. Anything taller gets a little out of context.

I think the height limitations at the Hudson's block are a good thing. You wouldn't want something taller than the former Hudson's...that would be out of context on Merchant's Row. The Monroe Block, on the other hand, should be targeted for a skyscraper.

In terms of usage, you see residential buildings, parks, and boulevards around that Statler site. I think that development should be mixed use but favoring residential. I think that is a site for long-run major, modern residential development...something tall. As much as I hate the gaping hole there, it would be good to wait. Now I realize that Gilbert has his hands on it and will probably develop something there, but I think, from a planning standpoint, worker/business density in the core of the CBD ought to be prioritized. This means that they should be on the Hudson's Block, with the incubator development being a renovated Lafayette, and other development on those Broadway sites. But, the city cannot take the approach I just took. Beggars can't be choosers, and as long as Gilbert is in Detroit he can choose to go whereever he wants to go.

My money: 30 stories at the Statler + an innovative, mixed-use complex (which hopefully, hopefully will complete the streetwall on Merchant's Row and not give us any plazas like some past designs have suggested). I don't think Gilbert will get involved at the two sites most recently offered by the city, but I think the city will succeed in their Broadway infill goal sometime soon.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El_jimbo: LMAO!! and don't forget the waffle house and major grocery store.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 344
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for posting those renders TheJesus

Hard to make out what we're looking at with the first one, but the second one is clearly facing GCP with the building built over the PM tracks connecting the Statler and Tuller sites. Im guessing thats a good indication of the height Gilbert is thinking if he had Rosetti do preliminary stuff a ways back.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 548
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he will develop both sites, nut his HQ will be on the Statler site.

And if the PM track are in the way, construction will temporarily cut the PM in one direction...

I also believe the Ilitches will announce a new hockey area in the project.

Wow, Detroit will have an entertainment district that will be unrivaled...

<313>

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 245
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with the idea that the HQ will be on the Statler site, not only because of the height but also the proximity to entertainment. Cliff Bells, Park Bar, Centaur, Hockeytown and both of the stadiums seem much closer and are a big factor in the lives of the hip 20-35 year olds Gilbert mentions as employees of his company looking forward tot he urban lifestyle.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would much rather see the Statler site used than the Hudson site. I think it would be great to see another 35+ Stories building downtown.

Using the Statler site might also get the Broderick Tower renovations going.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2788
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where i work , we built a new HQ for 1500 employees, 12 stories, and it is a bit tight.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 646
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahem, I would like a High Rise that will "disrupt" our skyline, not any short, stubby buildings.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on November 14, 2007)

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 216
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly. Something that will make it's mark with a big neon Quicken sign near the top.