Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Real Estate Attorneys in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Greenskye
Username: Greenskye

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know of a good plaintiff real estate attorney (preferably one well-versed in condominium law)? I have a cousin who recently moved into a loft in Detroit. To make a long story short, there are several problems with the space that should have been addressed and fixed pre-occupancy. (I won't go into any more detail, as I'm sure I will get some of the facts wrong).

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read an article a few years ago about one in Mt Clemens, a woman. She was opining the value of having a real estate attorney retained while you are closing on a property.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2756
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meisner & Associates in Bingham farms is the top Condominium boutique firm in the area.

And if you're specifically looking for someone in Detroit or if their rates are too high, they'd be able to refer you to someone more tailored to your needs.

http://www.meisner-law.com/

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 387
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RE/Condo attorneys without conflicts of interest with the larger development companies are hard to come by. If your friend is seriously contemplating it, expect to pay at minimum $200.00 an hour for a qualified attorney. That fee amount is on the cheap end.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

greenskye; if it's a rental loft i'm going to assume that it's a boydell property. i have known many people who've had that same problem as your cousin with his properties.

my advice is (if it's rental) to just get out of the lease and look for another place; people who have gone thru it before say that it's not worth the time or money. they typically won their case, but it took too much time and effort. then, by the time the repairs were actually required, they were ready to leave anyway.

if your cousin purchased, i wish him/her the best of luck. there is somebody around here who documented this same type of thing with his townhouse.

Greenskye
Username: Greenskye

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus: That name came up in one of my searches, just wanted to see if there was anyone else. My cousin is aware that it's gonna cost him. He doesn't want to go this route, but it seems to be coming to that.

Rsa: Unfortunately, he purchased the condo.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 976
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A word to the wise: Before using Bob Meisner to represent you, check him out very carefully. Get an iron-clad, detailed fee agreement in advance. Check condo associations who have used him, and other real estate lawyers doing condo work.

Meisner used to write a column for the Detroit News (years ago). Try to get someone there to tell you why he was dropped and his column cancelled.

You don't need a condo lawyer as such. Any lawyer with a general real estate practice can help you or direct you to one who has experience representing realtors, who are frequently sued in these kinds of cases (as long as you're not planning to sue a broker.)

Call any of the major law firms in town and talk with someone in their real estate practice groups and see whether they will handle your case (probably not) or see if they will recommend someone.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.