Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Gas station wars « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zxzm
Username: Zxzm

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local /story.aspx?content_id=294c789 3-a059-43bd-81ce-afc69f90cff2

Reality is stranger than fiction...

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 727
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, now you know it's the worst side of town when people shoot each other for profit.

Zxzm
Username: Zxzm

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People shoot each other for profit all the time. Familiar w/ the drug trade at all?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4618
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do those gas-station/convenience-store owners in Iraq kill their competitors over a 3-cent-per-gallon price change?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3124
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The company I work for used to own a number of BP stations. BP's pricing strategy seems to be to stay a penny or two higher than the competition on the premise that people will be brand loyal and pay the difference, but that's really not true around here and the station owners, not BP, are the ones who end up losing out as the higher profit non-fuel sales are lost, not to mention the drive-offs that occur (and peak around this time of year).

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 729
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Do those gas-station/convenience-store owners in Iraq kill their competitors over a 3-cent-per-gallon price change?"

This is the first time I heard of someone shooting another Gas Station Owner for just 3 Cents per gallon. Dammit, it's Marketing. If you can't hang with the big dogs, just stay on the porch. No sense in barking at everyone.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on November 16, 2007)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4619
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can there be drive-offs when (all?) the gas stations in Detroit are prepaid???

Lilpup

Post Number: 3125
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, now you know why virtually all in the city are pre-paid and increasingly more in the suburbs are.

But there are still such tactics as presenting a fake or stolen credit card for the cashier to hold as prepay, or those cashiers not on the ball who screw up.

Recently I read that license plate thefts are also on the rise. One of the reasons is to use them in place of a valid plate when stealing gas.

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought we only fought other countries over the cost of oil?

...sad story

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4621
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Credit-car fraud is not driving-off!

Words, especially when used together, mean things...

Lilpup

Post Number: 3126
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Credit-car fraud is not driving-off"

it is when it's presented as collateral for payment then left behind as the car speeds out the drive

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4622
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which sensible operator in Detroit takes collateral for payment by strangers??? That's asking for trouble. Besides, I don't know of any stations in SW Detroit (or the rest of Detroit) that isn't prepay for the past decade for strangers.

However, those stations I would frequent would most often wave me off if I came to prepay. But, they knew me as a regular customer and trusted me. There's no good reason to confer that treatment to strangers.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1598
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A hearty DetroitYes welcome to Rob_in_warren.
And now, back to our regularly scheduled argument over next-to-nothing.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 947
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by that area around 11:30 today. With all the TV stations and cops everywhere I guessed that it had to be a multiple slaying. Obviously the circumstances in which the one murder took place made it a big story.

It'll be interesting to see what type of defense the Marathon owner can come up with and whether he has a legit slef-defense argument. I've been to each gas station 3-4 times and the Marathon station seemed to be run by one gentlemen, I'm assuming he was the owner, while the BP seemed much more busier and had multiple workers.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4626
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The convenience-store business is a tough racket these days with customers coming in less often. And the owners have to put in some very long work weeks--often 80 hours or more when their operations are 24/7.

I remember when that BP was built during 1997 or 1998. There was a local ad sheet/paper that featured the BP with a full-page spread of his then-new station. Back then it cost around $ 1/2 million for the station/store/car wash.

In case anybody's interested in how much it costs to franchise a BP. It's $2 1/4 to 6 1/2 million! And they have mortgages too to have to cover...

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well guys this news story made national news.
Well here in New York City; I just saw a preview of WABC 11pm news (ABC7)of the story with video.

This is such a horrible way to end a life. I will think it is a very hard job being a Gas station owner. They have a very unpopluar job and they have to deal with the public everyday. Not the big oil companies and if everyone goes to the other gas stations. Your gas station can go out of business and you have no job.
What happened to the friendly game of competition?

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a regular customer at that BP (almost exclusively) and am very saddened by all this. Joe was a very good man, very fair to his employee's, and a decent family man. I just find this whole thing extremely tragic. I've never heard anyone say a bad word about him, of course, I never talked to the owner of the Marathon, but Joe was highly respected in the community. He also owns the Mobil on the other side of the freeway and owner the Farmer's Market store on Vernor, although he now leases that out. Very sad indeed.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2840
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hard times bring out the worst in people

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 345
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In a wild post-script, it appears the BP station took advantage of the shooting. While police were still swarming the Marathon station, the BP jacked up its prices. WXYZ's Bill Proctor reports that as soon as the owner's body was taken away, workers at BP changed the price-per-gallon of unleaded from $2.96 to $3.09.

WTF? Who are these people? What can possibly be so important about 3 cents of gas that this needed to happen? And then the BP station changes its prices after all is said and done... what were they trying to do? WHO CARES what your price is?! A MAN IS DEAD.

Great work people.... sorry, but I don't have any sympathy for either of these stations.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4628
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The BP owner was probably in financial distress. If he did own the former Farmer's Market on Vernor, he was obviously not benefiting from that because there hasn't been a stable renter in there for the past few years. It was usually vacant as it's now. Also the Comcast store there (whoever owns that?) next door or so closed down on the Tenth of November.

Maybe he flipped out, but, in any event, he acted stupidly and had the major hand in causing his demise.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hard times bring out the worst in people

respectfully restated:

hard times bring out the *best* and *worst* in people!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

with them hard times i have noticed lots more folks riding bikes, might be safer then getting stuck in a shoot out

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 948
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Freep article (Saturday) states that the BP owner walked across the street with two of his employees to confront the marathon owner. I don't understand why one person would confront the owner about his prices let alone 3 people. One of the BP employees hit a Marathon employee with a baseball bat. Based on the info so far I could see the Marathon owner making a very good case of self-defense.

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only good news is that justice will be served and the idiot murderer will be locked away for life. He's proven that he thinks his life is only worth 3 cents since he's happy to give it away for that amount.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 128
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From reading the article it could be self-defense. However I bet there has been bad blood between the two stations in the past since the incident that got the man killed seemed like a show down. The problem is the oil companies has these gas stations squeezed so tight, that can't make any money on gas, and I guess they aren't making it up with the food items. Most of these stations don't do repairs anymore which is another revenue stream that dried up. Gas stations while always a tough business is really tough now but still no excuse for a man to lose his life over.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 995
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Todays lesson: Don't bring a baseball bat to a gunfight.

(Message edited by eric on November 17, 2007)

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just saw the story on CNN. Our positive national news spin lasted about 3 days.

Firstandten

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The media will make this story into a circus saying how the man got shot over 3 cents making the people involved seem stupid. Yes, it was a
dumb act but it was over 3 cents per gallon, over the course of the day it could mean hundreds of dollars, maybe enough to pay his employees or keep the store open another week. Sometimes desperate people do desperate things.

Arab_guyumich
Username: Arab_guyumich

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This shooting is symptomatic of the problems facing gas station owners in this market. While it's true that station owners throughout the country are hurting from the high fuel prices, I think that the problem is really exacerbated in Detroit, with our oversupply of stations. There are simply too many gas stations fighting over an ever smaller market (in terms of expendable cash for convenience store purchases...and even customers in some neighborhoods).

That said, this shooting appears to be the culmination of a feud that has gone on for some time. From what I gather, the feud started after the Marathon station began pricing its fuel below cost, as a loss leader, that gradually siphoned off a significant amount of the BP station's business. In some states this type of gas station pricing is illegal, but that's not the case in Michigan.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arab_guyumich, you're echoing a problem from the Chrysler thread-the founder of Autobytel.com was a big Dodge-Chrysler-Plymouth('membe r them?) dealer over in the South Bay/LBC area,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =JOENWpG86NY
http://www.dailymotion.com/vid eo/x2ciq1_pete-ellis-dodge-198 8-commercial_ads
he got out & went online because there are too many auto dealerships in this country & they're cannibalizing each other's business, but they're also the 800-lbs gorillas when it comes to the Big 3. So we've got the #1 Industry in Michigan beholden to a network of desperate businessmen
http://www.yoyow.com/marye/ell is.html

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 348
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arab_guyumich, welcome to the forum.

Firstandten, are you crazy? Since when is a few hundred dollars of profit from your business ever worth a human life?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Words, especially when used together, mean things..."

Especially yours in that context when you've been a snarky asshole and then don't apologize for being said asshole after clarification shows your premise as false.

Firstandten

Post Number: 133
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gsgeorge- To answer your question, for rational people money is no reason to take a human life. Thats why I believe there was something more to this incident. ongoing bad blood between the two station owners. Not excusing the behavior but it is an indication as to how people react when it comes to money.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was bound to happen sooner or later...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/section?Category=NEWS01

Milt721
Username: Milt721

Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

someone was posting old dealership commercials on here. check this one out...
http://www.tvparty.com/announc e/ralfwillbig.ram
Sorry about the realplayer format...

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2923
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw this story on CNN this am - crazy stuff

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.