Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Toyota donates $2 million for science center theater » Archive through November 09, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 192
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo, I couldn't have said it better.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2139
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, and matter of fact this would be an excellent opportunity for Kwame to regain respect from Detroiters at large. And unify the city by sending a strong message to the rest of the US market and foreign companies who are hurting us that we want as much involvement with them as they want with us.

Aroo?

If they were building plants here and providing jobs, that would put a whole different face on this.

quote:

For more than 25 years, Toyota Technical Center (TTC) has been the driving force behind Toyota's North American Engineering and Research and Development activities, overseeing the design and development of vehicles. Headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan, TTC is engaged in engineering design, prototype building, vehicle evaluation, evaluation and design of parts and materials, regulatory affairs, emissions certification and technical research.

http://www.toyota.com/about/ou r_business/operations/manufact uring/ttc/

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5712
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geeze... this is the same argument against getting a $200 million Charter High School by that fellow who sold his business, and wanted to give back to Detroit... but the city thumbed their noses at him...

They could just as easily have spent the $2 million in Ann Arbor or Kentucky... but they didn't.

And as been said on another thread... Ford Co. doesn't have a presence in Detroit, but we still accept their philanthropy. And well we should!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10740
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Geeze... this is the same argument against getting a $200 million Charter High School by that fellow who sold his business, and wanted to give back to Detroit... but the city thumbed their noses at him...

No, it is not the same argument. Very different operating models between a theater and a charter school.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5713
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I'm saying it's the same argument about folks here thumbing their noses at outside money coming into Detroit...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10741
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess we will disagree. I don;t seem them being enirely the same.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 569
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan, TTC is engaged in engineering "

Engineering idea collection. Seriously why do you think thats there? They have no manufacturing facilities within hundreds of miles. Another token presentation and further attempts at associating themselves with the American auto industry.

How many are they employing?

Their last press release was in April/2005. What do they do there exactly? Sound like real industry leaders.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 455
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If they were building plants here and providing jobs, that would put a whole different face on this.

They have no manufacturing facilities within hundreds of miles.

One of the 15 shops of Toyota Boshoku America, Inc., along with R&D facilities is in Novi.

Let me add that I am union born and bred. I don't like being devil's advocate, but the ignorance of the opposing side is pathetic. I can't find my post from about a year ago arguing this same point with Supersport, but essentially, there was a link that stated as of years ago, a majority of Japanese cars sold in America are manufactured in America. Now, as has been conveniently ignored by the "Rah! USA!" crowd, much of GM seat technology is being outsourced to Toyota. I'm willing to bet, there's quite a bit more Japanese technology and parts going into American cars than any of these yokels are will to admit.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2140
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>How many are they employing?

Well, when I was a student at Michigan, I had a couple friends who were interns there. It's a fairly large R&D facility.

Dds

Post Number: 456
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, if someone wants to do some research, the 9/17/07 issue of Crain's Detroit does a complete study about the positive impact of Toyota on SE Michigan, complete with employment figures and economic investment figures.

(Message edited by dds on November 09, 2007)

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5121
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Christ, that's the attitude that is scaring potential companies AWAY from Michigan! Bu, Bu, they arent American....

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2464
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Christ, that's the attitude that is scaring potential companies AWAY from Michigan! Bu, Bu, they arent American....

I would make a wager that there is not one company that has not relocated to Michigan becasue they were scared of the "buy american" attitude.

Many that found it too costly.

Many that found an inability to attract a competitive workforce.

Many that found their own employees unwilling to relocate to Michigan.

Many that just wanted nothing to do with a region that is dying.

Many that just did not see any compelling business justification for doing so.

But none that were scared away by an attitude.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 570
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "but the ignorance of the opposing side is pathetic"

Yeah it really is. Checked the value of the dollar lately? Have you read a newspaper recently? Driven around and looked at all the empty houses. This is "positive impact"?

Dds

Post Number: 457
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you believe that those things are caused entirely by Toyota and the Japanese auto industry as a whole, and no other factors, then you are just proving my point.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2141
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But none that were scared away by an attitude.

That's not what Volkswagen said...

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 571
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Nice twist.

If it wasn't for Detroit being the car capital, Toyota wouldn't step foot in this place, one small problem with them doing so: They don't build anything here.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 157
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take their money and continue buying American.

For those of you wrongly believe that American Car Companies can't compete in quality, take a good look at the Harbour Report, and see that we are par in quality. We do produce good products.

When you buy anything that is not made in America, YOU help contribute to OUR trade deficit. We used to have a choice in steel, textiles, and electronics.

Dds, yes there is increasing foreign content in "American" vehicles. There was an article in the Detroit News or Free press within the last year that showed that American content in vehicles assembled in America was far greater in the domestic manufacturers.

It's easy for foreign companies to do business in America when the American Government is on your side. Thank you Bill-(NAFTA)-Clinton, among others.

Dds

Post Number: 459
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They don't build anything here

I know. But until you respond to the fact that GM is paying Toyota build their cars for them, that's a moot point.

Warrenite84

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GM built transmissions for Ford in the past also.
That is no surprise.

Dds, what would you call the NUMMI plant,(joint venture between GM and Toyota. Think Geo.).
Is that a U.S. Co. building for the Japanese or the other was around?

Warrenite84

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of a bit of warped perception, that plant made Geo Prizms and Toyota Celicas on the same line with identical underpinnings. Who sold more? Toyota! Perception is not always reality.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2144
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^I bet Ford sold more Villagers than Nissan sold Quests...

Buyamerican

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.levelfieldinstitute.org/docs/LFI_boots_ad.pdf

(Message edited by Buyamerican on November 09, 2007)

Dds

Post Number: 460
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally have no problems with joint ventures. I'm for it. But the BUY AMERICAN OR YOU'RE CRAPPING IN YOUR OWN BLOOD! days have got to be over. I lived with that my whole life growing up, and I believe that attitude is partially responsible for the short-sightedness of the unions and the automakers. Depending on brand loyalty while making somewhat inferior products at higher costs is ridiculous.

The Boshoku plant now has (I think) over 100 people employed, most working 7 days a week with overtime (including a close personal friend of mine-- who is nonunion and making just short of what I make in my union job) If they can keep people employed with benefits and working and living and raising families in SE Michigan, I don't see why we all can't cut Toyota some slack, especially if they are willing to donate 2 million to our and our children's well-being.

(Message edited by dds on November 09, 2007)

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 572
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fact that the American companies are "in bed" with the competition shows just how far the American companies must go to compete.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 573
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: The "Boshoku plant now has (I think) over 100 people employed, most working 7 days a week with overtime"

100 people? Our troubles are over. I would venture to say 5 Mcdonalds joints hire that many people.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 635
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happens to Michigan if Toyota goes out of business? What happens to Michigan if Ford, GM /and or Chrysler go out of business?

Buyamerican

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.levelfieldinstitute .org/docs/LFI_boots_ad.pdf

Miesfan
Username: Miesfan

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Arguing with a person who would make such a comment is useless. Certain individuals have no loyalties except to themselves. I forgot, it's the "ME" generation.

WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!

By Tom Wolfe's standard I'm 25-30 years behind the "ME" generation. I live and work downtown so I don't own a car. I guess I don't drive America. My girlfriend has a 1998 Ford Taurus with 106,000 miles on it but she bought that used about two years ago so the only person who benefited from that sale was the guy who sold it to her. Neither of us drive to work so at an average of 9,000 miles a year that Taurus should last us another four or five years.

Purchasing a new car, foreign or domestic, makes absolutely no economic sense for the buyer. And so long as we don't have significant daily commutes, we'll never spend more than $4000 for a car.

I also voted for John Kerry so I've been hating America for a long time. I'm sure Sstashmoo and Buyamerican would love to put me in a re-education camp so I also send my $50 a year to the ACLU - just to be safe.

(Message edited by miesfan on November 09, 2007)

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3131
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What happens to Michigan if Toyota goes out of business? What happens to Michigan if Ford, GM /and or Chrysler go out of business?"

Michigan will suffer for awhile, then we'll find a new industry. We went from stoves and ships in the 19th/early 20th century to autos; now, we'll go from autos to something else. Lots of smart people around here; we'll figure something out.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 225
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to RFK Jr., all we have to do is wait. Just as long as we prepare accordingly.

"There's a train wreck coming, and the cities that are going to end up with the strongest economies are those with the strongest environmental base, and Detroit can be one of those cities. Detroit has a future based on its waterways, and its water is the best investment that Detroit can make right now: restoring public access to waterways and fighting pollution in waterways.

Detroit -- looking at its landscapes and surroundings -- is one of the greatest places to live, and that value will be recognized by the marketplace and by people."

http://metromodemedia.com/feat ures/RFK0044.aspx