Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Ficano Scandal - Ch 4 vs Ch 7 » Archive through November 15, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rotation_slim
Username: Rotation_slim

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Inside info on the brewing scandal in Wayne County.

Steve Wilson at Ch. 7 uncovers no-show jobs at Wayne County IT Dept, including the directors girlfriend, and Ficano's Political hack Ralph Kinney. Wilson has it cold... and asks Ficano for comment. Snake Ficano then calls WDIV and invites their lapdog "investigative" reporter Kevin Dietz over to "give him a story" Ficano then spins a tale that "he (Ficano) had discovered the fraud" The reality, of course, is that Ficano was complicit all along and he is just making WDIV his Bitch. So 4 airs their garbage story last night, making Ficano look like a Saint. Tonight at 11pm Wilson reports the whole story, and brings a hammer down on Ficano.

Stay tuned, this should be good (BTW.. Wilson haters out there hold your garbage until after you have seen his story tonight, then if you want to comment on the story feel free.. but save us the wasted bandwidth in commenting on Steve's waistline and other mindless tripe.)

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1873
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

knowing someone familiar with the goings on during this interview with wilson, it'll be interesting how crafty wilson gets with the editing to tell his story

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 447
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good God, it's Rotation Slim come back from the dead. Do they carry axe handles and baseball bats in the trunks of the Cruiser in heaven?

Rotation_slim

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig,
You are one of the few oldtimers who would recognize the name. I adopted the moniker just because I love the sound of it, NOT because I endorse his infamous behavior. I am not old enough to remember him, I pirated the name after reading it in Ike's book.

(For lurkers: Rotation Slim was the name of an old time Detroit cop who put a beating on Ike Mckinnon when he was a kid)

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 975
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rotation Slim is an 81-year-old black man who spent the 1940s through the 1980s working as a house pimp and a hustler in Europe, New York, Detroit, and Illinois. He also owned and operated The Pony Lounge, a strip club/go-go joint/whorehouse in Michigan City, Indiana, and served for ten years as the labor chairman of the Michigan City chapter of the NAACP

Rotation-Slim.jpg

Rotation_slim

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update: WDIV at Noon announced 3 people resigned from Wayne County - They took credit for it. Wilson's big story comming up at 6pm.

Also, there is that street hustler/pimp called Rotation Slim, as noted, but I took my moniker from the dirty Detroit cop:

" It wasn't the first or last time McKinnon faced overt racism. As a 14-year-old at Cass Technical High School, McKinnon was stopped, frisked, and humiliated one day by a white officer known throughout the neighborhood as "Rotation Slim." Kresnak noted that this officer "slapped [McKinnon] hard and used a racial slur" when McKinnon asked why he was being stopped."

Falstaff
Username: Falstaff

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDIV story:

2 off the job

(The reporter was Mara MacDonald, not Kevin Dietz)

BTW, Steve Wilson is thought of as one of the worst investigative reporters in the United States. But he sure does well here.

(Message edited by Falstaff on November 15, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2027
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does Steve Wilson always have to be stirring up the pot? I mean it is one thing to investigate, but yet another thing to just keep digging until you find something. If Steve Wilson becomes 'the story' then he is not being a good reporter.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the name Ben Turpin taken?

Falstaff

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If Steve Wilson becomes 'the story' then he is not being a good reporter.

Steve Wilson is ALWAYS becoming the story. He has in every market he has ever worked in.

The strange case of Steve Wilson: how a fraudulent crusader snookered the left—and is threatening the First Amendment

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2029
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Falstaff. Makes Steve Wilson sound like a really bad reporter:

"Wilson's steamy reports for the Scripps Howard-owned station depended heavily on anonymous sources...Three days after the initial segment, Wilson was still going strong...Wilson has refused to answer specific questions about his reporting and financial affairs in interviews and written exchanges stretching back six years. His most common response is vitriolic obfuscation, and he declined to comment on the topic for this article."

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3182
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rotation Slim, what's your axe to grind against Ficano? Sounds like you just didn't like him to begin with, even before this story.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 452
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

R_S - I'm not that old. An older family member worked at #13 years back and knew the original. I remember the story about the time that the cruiser was loading up for afternoons and the old relative saw the aforementioned implements of destruction going into the trunk. "Oh sh*t, what's going on?" the rookie asked himself. Nothing: just another day at 13.

Rotation_slim

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no axe to grind against him personally, I like him, he seems to get the job done, but when the top guy in your IT department, a guy who was your campaign manager, his girlfriend shows up on the county payroll for a no-show job, I got a problem with that. And when Wilson calls it to Ficano's attention, Ficano grabs the phone, calls Wilson's competitor, then gives the competitor the story, knowing that Dietz is such a journalistic lightweight that he will not know he is being powned like a noob. That is why I call Ficano A snake, a smart snake, but a snake none-the-less.

And it is Dietz who did the story, McDonald was just pimping it last night because it was a rush job to try to beat Wilson to air, and Dietz was unavailable. Dietz is on it today.

As to Wilson, if he has the proof (and aparantly he does if 3 people resigned over this) that folks are getting paid but not showing up for work, I think that is a pretty solid story... regardless of his "style" of reporting

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3185
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I like Ficano because he refused to accept Farbman's exorbitant terms on the Wayne County Building. Like you say, he gets the job done.

Generally, anyone who goes against the evil Farbman empire is OK by me.

Falstaff

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poor Steve. Couldn't get the story to air before WDIV.

quote:

And it is Dietz who did the story, McDonald was just pimping it last night because it was a rush job to try to beat Wilson to air, and Dietz was unavailable. Dietz is on it today.

They didn't "try to beat Wilson to air", they DID beat Wilson to air.

Steve should drown his sorrows with a Monsanto milk additive called recombinant bovine growth hormone.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

vitriolic obfuscation

That would be a good name

Falstaff

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And when Wilson calls it to Ficano's attention, Ficano grabs the phone, calls Wilson's competitor, then gives the competitor the story, knowing that Dietz is such a journalistic lightweight that he will not know he is being powned like a noob. That is why I call Ficano A snake, a smart snake, but a snake none-the-less.

This sounds an awful lot like something Wilson himself would write.

I can't wait until 11 - - - would a box of deep fried twinkies make Wilson feel better? It seems to have worked in the past.

They crunch when you fry them, right Steve?

twinkies.jpg

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4600
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody have a tally on how much the taxpayers directly and indirectly save annually on account of such investigative reporting? That, and the media attention his station derives thereby from the publicity, would justify Wilson's continued existence. Ditto for those at Fox 2.

Falstaff

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This isn't an argument about the value of investigative reporting.

This thread began as a rant and whine about channel 4 beating channel 7 out on the same story.

This thread is about television news competition, nothing more.

(Well, there is now the issue of deep fried twinkies . . . )

Rotation_slim

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct Falstaff.. this thread is exactly about TV News wars.. I make no attempt to to hide that, or cast it as anything other then that. See my original heading

It is duly noted that you were the first to go ugly and start calling Steve fat.. are you devoid of any legitimate thoughts.. or intellectual rigor? With a juicy, fun topic like this with dozens of different little points to debate and toss around.. and all you can come up with is (essentially) "fatso". That does not reflect well upon you at all. Frankly I had hoped for a little more.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4601
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The real story here (other than one channel scooping another) is whether or not Ficano is dishonest or did his department simply make some honest mistakes.

Falstaff

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had enough intellectual rigor to type out recombinant bovine growth hormone. Wilson scammed people for cash with his fraudulent story about that.

Again, I introduced the link to:

The strange case of Steve Wilson: how a fraudulent crusader snookered the left—and is threatening the First Amendment

Doesn't that article provide "dozens of different little points to debate and toss around?"

Some deep fried twinkies sounds pretty good right now!

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A forumer who sounds like Steve Wilson...
named Slim...
who gets mad if you insinuate Wilson is Fat!

Now there's a story in there somewhere...

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like someone on this thread just loves Steve Wilson.

There is nothing wrong with aggressively pursuing a story no one else in the city has the knowledge or balls to go after (red Navigator, et. al), but the guy is a total jackoff. The reporter should NEVER become the story and that guy has built his Midwestern network news career on doing just that, which is transparent and gets old really quick.

His small-pond arrogance is baseless and weak.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 255
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame, take note of the proper way to deal with a potential scandal when your buddies are caught taking advantage of the system:

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20071115/NEWS01/ 71115049

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice right wing sourcing on that article.

Falstaff

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A forumer who sounds like Steve Wilson...
named Slim...
who gets mad if you insinuate Wilson is Fat!

Now there's a story in there somewhere...

hmmmmmmmmm.

Wilson likes to post on other boards. This sounds exactly like him.

So protest away "Slim", I'm not buying.

BTW - my screen name is Falstaff, a jolly fat man in Henry IV (parts 1 and 2). I'm not upset about my weight.

Crunch Crunch Crunch those fried twinkies - you might feel better.

Falstaff

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nice right wing sourcing on that article.

John Sugg, the author of that story, is a noted leftist journalist. Google his name, you'll see.

But he is a journalist first. Wilson's antics offend his sense of journalistic integrity.

Rotation_slim

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ask a little rational thought before you post. Think about your "allegation" that I am Steve Wilson. If you know he posts other places, then, by definition, he posts overtly, with his name. Otherwise you would not know it was him that was posting. Anyway... I am not sure why I would expect that kind of common sense from someone who's top intellectual achievement in this thread is to call Steve fat. Sorry buddy, my 3 year old could do that. I bet you point at special needs kids when you see them at the mall. I just don't get how calling Steve fat advances your argument in this thread, or your standing on this board. Is there any chance someone will think to themselves "...that Rain, he is hillarious, he picked up on the subtle fact that Steve Wilson is fat, and he talked about him eating twinkies.. that was hillarious.. pure comedy gold.. he is really one of the intellectual leaders on this board. "

For the record, I am not Steve, I am a journalist in this area who has met him. Don't love him as a person, but respect his ability break a story. There is a lot of criticism of his style, but he seems to get his facts straight.