Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » My Town...Home of the best Pizza » Archive through November 14, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kirby
Username: Kirby

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

may 1968

Live in California, (26 years) and my Hometown folks would not use California Pizza as a door mat
Is Buddies still open on 6 mile???

Thats me in May 1968 Riot, I had to guard the Bell Bldg. at Woodward and Seldon, got shot at but they missed. I recall the Mayor stating on the radio that we were armed but without ammo, HE LIED!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10759
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buddies is still open and, I believe, just recently re-opened their feather bowling.

The pizza is still as good as ever.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3155
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not feather bowling at Buddy's, Jt1... it's bocce ball there. (Italian sport, vs. Belgian sport.)

Jt1

Post Number: 10761
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bad, I was mixing up Buddys and Cadieux Cafe activities.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 325
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did you fire back?

Kirby

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell YES, I missed too, (Thank God...)
NOTHING gets your nose to Woodward faster than shots being fired...

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 372
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kirby, a widely held belief is that most of the National Guard guys were from up north. You sound like a local guy, so tell me, of the other NG guys how many were local vs backwoods types?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5136
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This guy is gonna have some stories to tell!

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you live on Kirby?

Kirby

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only thing would make you think we Guard guys were from up north (that I can think of) is we had summer camp at Alpena, and Army Guard was near Grayling. Otherwise all the guys in my unit were living in the Detroit area, our base was located on the east side of Metro airport, it's all gone now, and the unit moved to Selfridge AFB back in the 70's
I lived on Fenmore near 8 mile and Southfield, but had friends who lived in a great apt. bldg. on E Kirby, on corner of Woodward, n/ of Art Inst.
My teenage Godson out here in Pasadena,thought I was some kind of celeb, when I told him I grew up near 8 mile, it was when the movie "8 Mile' was out!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2021
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit really is the HQ of pizza. Hungery Howies now has some of their franchises down here in Charlotte as well. Detroit represent!

Jt1

Post Number: 10763
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

but had friends who lived in a great apt. bldg. on E Kirby, on corner of Woodward, n/ of Art Inst.

That would be the Park Shelton. It is now condo but their website may jog some memories of times in the bulding with your friends.

http://www.theparkshelton.com/

Kirby

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, Motor City is Pizza Heaven, just try living away from it for awhile.
I get to Chicago and NYC every year, I have to bite my lip, when they start bragging, since I'm always out numbered! Their Pizza is very good, NOT Detroit good, but good compared to LA...
Don't get me started on White Castle..........

Kirby

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1
Yes that is the building. Great place, the apts. all had doors that would open from the middle, you could leave a suite in it at night, someone came by from the hall, took out the suit had it cleaned and pressed, and it was back the next morning. That must have been back in the 30's or 40's when this took place, in the 60's everyone just had it bared up...
A lot of great memories of that area, Art Inst, Wayne State, Grande Ballroom...

Kirby

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question
When I got out of Ford High in 65, I started working construction for Mich Bell, and had a close friend and co-worker, Cleveland. He was older, around 22 or 23, he took me under his wing, showed me a Detroit, that I got to love. He would sneak me into a place called 20 Grand, a bowling alley with a lounge, where for 50 cents cover we saw groups like Smokie Robinson and Miracles, and others, is 20 Grand still there???

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

20 grand burned to the ground years ago. Do you remember who was your commanding officer during the riots?

Kirby

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I always stayed away from Officers,I can't recall any officers name.
We had a great 1st Sgt, "Ollie" who really ran the POL unit.
(191st photo recon)

(Message edited by Kirby on November 14, 2007)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10896
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, Kirby.

I stayed in the Park Shelton for a while, the most unique aspects of that building were the leftovers from its day as a high-end hotel...like those pregnant doors.

If you didn't put a good amount of insulation inside of 'em, everyone outside could hear right through them!

My unit was the seventh floor corner looking southwest, easily the best apartment I've ever had, one of best living spaces...until I discovered LOFT living, heh.

Cheers.

Chicagoans and New Yawkers are terribly proud of their pizza heritage, we seem to take it all in stride.

Shields is another great pizza company, some day even back in the inner-city on the first floor of the Kales building, if the signs can be believed.

Buddy's in West Dearborn is my 'traditional' visit, lotsa memories in that main room. Will still do that one once a month or so.

I love what the Buzz Bar does with pizza (and everything else), although I'm still not quite sure about the Coney Island pie. Certainly Pizzapopalis can be called an institution, even IF they dare make their pie 'Chicago style'...they do it well, for over twenty years in the same spot...right?!

Ann Arbor's institution, Cottage Inn, even delivers up to my Eastern Market loft...from way down in Lafayette Park. Theirs is a bit more sweet, but necessary every blue moon.

It is pretty tough settling on pizza when you have Sala Thai, Roma Cafe, Zeff's Grille, Butcher's, Vivio's, Bert's, Farmer's...and then the Bucharest Grille, Slows, Baile Corcaigh, The Golden Fleece, el Zocalos, that little Taquira next to Xochimilco's, etc, etc to choose through first.

I forget how good our pizza selection truly is.

Kirby

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, thanks for the welcome
I knew when I said I was NG in the 60's a few verbal rocks would be thrown at me, (I got the real thing back then!)
It sounds like a trip to my Hometown is over due,
I don't recognize a single place you've listed at the bottom of your message. Sure appears like Detroit has grown regarding restaurants. I remember when the only Mexican place was
El Nibble Nook in Farmington. But, we always had Greektown, and Coney islands that are not to be found (as good) anywhere else.
I never thought Shields was as good, even though, as I recall the cook was from Buddys.

My friend had a inside apt at Park Shelton, facing downtown, he got to meet and date this knock out gal who had a corner window to his, which was always open in the summer...
There is alot to be said about old construction!

I'll have to get back one day and see the new Tiger stadium, can't believe old "Briggs" stadium couldn't be saved, I know, GET OVER IT, right?

I have this reoccuring nightmare that my Tigers and my Dodgers will meet in a World series one year...but, it's an easy call, I'd cheer for Detriot.
My wife and I attended the only game Detroit lost in the '84 World series in San Diego. It was a "twilight zone moment" to be in a sea of SD fans while cheering on our Hometown. Looking back it probably saved out butts that they lost that game!

Ok, I didn't want to get into this, it's too painful. But you can buy WhiteCastles, in the frozen food section at Vons supermarket, and if you wrap them in a wet cloth, zap them for 60 seconds or so, they will barely pass as good.
A pack of 6 frozen ones are 4 or 5 bucks, thats what really hurts! I recall getting a bag of 10 for "1" buck back in the 50's. MY WC was at the corner of Grand River and S'field, I'm sure it's long gone

Jt1

Post Number: 10776
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little torture for you kirby.

http://www.buddyspizza.com/Web site%20Menu.pdf

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2184
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This damn thread is making me hungry.

Gnome

Post Number: 378
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kirby, jeeze, that sounds pretty dangerous: cheering for the Tigers in Padre Country.

What do you think all those pink-shirted, Izod-bearin, latte-sippin, Volvo-drivin fans might have done to you?

Spill a white-wine spritzer on your khakis?

Vicious bastards.

Kirby

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JT1
Thanks for the menu from Buddys. I checked real close, but clearly no delievery to Pasadena!
We never need a menu anyway, just a large, with everything (no little fish PLEASE!)and an antipasta salad. a perfect night is leaving Buddys stuffed, then getting a Saunders Hot Fudge sunday. I'm always tempted to ask for a Defribulator...

Gnome
Their not all tree huggers, San Diego is a large Navy town, so I tend to avoid talking baseball and it's best to not mention my Air Force days!
I'm just kidding,
I have the greatest respect for our Guys and Gals in uniform. My friend is retired Marine, and we get into Camp Pendleton several times a year. The mess hall is cheap for non-military, around 3 bucks, and it's good.
I also work as a volunteer at USO in Ontario Ca. I get to help out our Soldiers at Ft Irwin and the Marines at 29 Palms. If you have any worries about this "next" generation, I only wish you could meet the caliber of young folks I see. There has been quite a few from Michigan too!

Gnome, you'll like this, my wife and I get to several ball games a year, we always get a large "Dodger Dog" (what else?).
BUT, you can (no kidding) get susi, and tofu!
If their doing this in Detroit, please just don't mention it!

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kirby,

The White Castle is still there on Grand River & the Southfield. I pass that way every now & then.

Gnome

Post Number: 379
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I try to give the bride a Dodger Dog a couple times a year too. She still seems to think its ok.

I was just bustin your chops Kirby, I'm sure the Padre fans are a mighty tough bunch as they wield their little drink umbrellas at the opposing teams. Murderous.

You're given an open invite to come back any time and see the changes - bad and good.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The recipe for Buddy's pizza was developed by a cook named Loui, he worked at Sheild's on Conant, just around the corner from Buddy's. After a few years of watching the crowds at Shield's the owners of Buddy's hired Loui to come work for them, and they were able to really capitalize on how good that pizza is, and become known throughout the region for it. Loui left Buddy's and started his own place in Hazel Park, a great spot.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really miss the original Olivers square,and the Buscemi's in Rochester(now closed), and 10 1/2 and Hoover in Warren.
I have been to about half a dozen Buscemi's stores to find pizza and sauce as good as those two places had, but to no avail.Everything now is not even close to the square pizza of 10-20 years ago.
If anybody knows how to replicate their sauce - post over on the food thread here on the non Detroit forum.

Thanks

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3177
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hungery Howies now has some of their franchises down here in Charlotte as well. Detroit represent!"

Sorry, but I think that Hungry Howie's is among the worst pizza I've ever had. Don't they slather butter on the crust? Ugh.

Buddy's, Loui's, Cloverleaf, Cal's... those are all great Detroit-style pizzas.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5604
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kirby, welcome to The Forum from a Westsider.
jjaba hauled Detroit Times out of Grand River and Washburn station in the 1950s, selling Sat. night Bulldogs at Sears, Oakman, and later, shoes at Crowleys, Grand River. He was a Wrigley checker at Greenfield Store, behind Federal's.
jjaba was locker room captain, Brennan Pools too.

Nice to see a new Westsider on The Forum.
Beware that Eastsiders will charm you, but Rina's on Shaefer and Grand River will feed you the best pizza in town.

jjaba, Cass Tech. printer on the Grand River electric feeder bus.

ps. Diego Rivera and Frida lived at Park Shelton hotel when he was painting at the DIA.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The recipe for Buddy's pizza was developed by a cook named Loui, he worked at Sheild's on Conant, just around the corner from Buddy's. After a few years of watching the crowds at Shield's the owners of Buddy's hired Loui to come work for them, and they were able to really capitalize on how good that pizza is, and become known throughout the region for it. Loui left Buddy's and started his own place in Hazel Park, a great spot."

56packman,
Actually you somewhat reversed the situations with Buddy's and Shields. I mentioned this on another thread. Louie Tourteau was the cook at Buddy's from 1950-67 after Jimmy Bonacorsi bought the place from Gus(Cloverleaf founder. Louie then moved on to Shields which was then located at the corner of Davison and Shields in 1967-68. I'm not sure if Louie was actually a partner in Shields. Anyway, Louie opened up his own place on Dequindre around 1976-77.