Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » New Detroit Chief of Police « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i heard this morning from a former detroit councilman, and current city insider, that ella bully-cummings will step down, and a new chief is waiting in the wings...

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but who then will cover up all of kawamie's lies?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2220
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Kwame really that hard to spell?

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 169
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

about f'n time - she was a big FAKE

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 951
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious, does anyone know who was the last outsider to be named police chief of the DPD or if they've even had an outsider in the top job?

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 90
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't Jerry Oliver from Richmond and other places previous to that?

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 998
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerry Oliver

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2270
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't like carpetbaggers. Promote from within.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2770
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure there are plenty of qualified people who would love to take that job and who would do a much better job than she has done...

Of course, you have to narrow that list down quite a bit to candidates of the preferred skin color...

...and even then you have to narrow the list down even further to candidates whose loyalty to the mayor comes before their loyalty to the people they are sworn to protect....

Hmmm...on second thought, the next police chief will probably be a step down from what we have now

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1647
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've often thought Jerry Oliver was hired solely on the basis of his connection to the feds investigating DPD. Notice how after the decree was handed down, he made an utterly stupid "mistake" and moved on...

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 153
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think you're really going to find anyone individual to do "a good job". It's political. If the majority of the police force and their union comrades were in Kwame's corner (their reasoning for not notwithstanding), I think we would've deemed her as doing a good job.

Moreover, in a socioeconomic climate such as the one we're experiencing, who's really going to a "good job". I'm not giving anyone a free run at this without consequences, but it's going to take more than a different police chief to turn this thing around. Detroit needs more federal intervention that the decree is showing.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 258
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say bring in from the outside. New ideas, new blood...

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

more info: the reason for the impending vacancy is that granholm wishes to appoint ms. bully-cummings to a judgeship.

Rotation_slim
Username: Rotation_slim

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does not matter who you promote, problem is as follows: Leadership is unable to discipline or demand results because for the last few decades, unable to meet their monetary demands, the city had slowly turned control of the department over to the Union in contract negotiations. Nothing of any substance can now be done without their complete approval... per their labor contract. It makes any reform nearly impossible. That is one of the reasons Jerry O was so ineffective, he was a reformer, but had his hands tied.

Not sure who to blame, it was a confluence of negative historical and economica events, so I am not pointing fingers, just telling you why it is the way it is.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 503
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPD needs an outsider.

Cummings is nothing but a speaker for Kwame. She's a glorified meter maid, a total zero.

Her fireworks shooter comments were as priceless as they were clueless.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 747
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who says an outsider would do a better job than Ella? I said take a bit of time to do the research and see how qualified that person is.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 505
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rise,

are you related to her or something?

she reeks of incompetence every time she is on t.v.

i'm sure as long as kwame is in office qualifications won't have much to do with who gets the job.

i think ones ability to look the other way when kwame and his crew want to do something maybe not so legal or ethical is the most important part of getting the job.

what ever happened to matt allen and his problems?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 756
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I'm not related to her. I didn't say she was a good chief either. However, an outsider could be anyone. I meant you wouldn't just choose a crackhead to be the chief of police.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 125
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This makes me think of that HBO series, The Wire... seems to me anyone picked for the job will have a lot of inside politics to contend with, which will no doubt move their focus from where it should be... making the streets of the city safe.

I heard Kwame say in his interview with WJR that they're looking for 800 police officers? Is that correct?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 470
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know what Jim Bannon's doing these days

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 446
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know - I'm not about to call her supposed ending term all bad. There are walking cops in some neighborhoods (I see them quite often), and there are visible improvements in some areas.

I am so glad, if it's true, that they're looking for 800 cops. The Government is really starting to get their priorities straight if that's the case. We need to rebuild the fabric of neighborhoods and strengthen the ones that are there for the city.

If there is a next and what this rumour says is true, I think response time needs to be the next priority. Criminals are a lot less likely to commit crime if they know the cops will be there in a couple minutes instead of a few hours or (shudder) longer.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.