Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Sheldon McKnight « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Treated
Username: Treated

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm doing some research on Sheldon McKnight, the founder of the Detroit Free Press and famous early Michigander. Does anyone know anything about this man or point to resources I could use.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2587
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the Forum, Treated.

Have you tried the Burton Historical Collection at the Detroit Public Library? It is always the best place for local history resources.

Treated
Username: Treated

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I've actually just done some research on the internet and actually have gathered some good stuff but I should definitely get down there. His first editorial was pretty cool,

"The Democratic citizens of this territory, having found the two newspapers already established here completely under the control of the city aristocracy, we have been compelled to set up an independent press."

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 886
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Treated, I find the internet the best place to find info. When I put in Sheldon McKnight in the yahoo search engine, the first thing that came up was a link to this site and your post. Isnt that a hoot. Welcome to the forum

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.