Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Multi-story Northland stores « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Elevator_fan
Username: Elevator_fan

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 60s, I recall many stores at Northland having basements and/or second floors. Hughes & Hatcher, Robinson's Furniture, Englander's Furniture, and Himelhoch's come to mind.

This was/is unusual for a single level mall. Are the retailers occupying those stores nowadays using the additional levels? There were elevators and escalators servicing those levels then. What is there now?
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kresgee or Woolworth was a multi-story store, then of course there is J. L. Hudson. Siegal may have been multi story as well, but I never remember it being open, only its downtown store.

I also recall several of the stores having mezzanine levels.

I once worked at the Gantos there. I'm pretty sure that was the site of the Hughes and Hatcher. The grand staircase was still there, and there must have been some sort of elevator (it was being used for stock) as it was a big store. That was back about 20 years ago, I can't recall all of those details.

It would not surprise me if there are stores without elevators between floors. The mall pre-dates ADA laws.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.